.mxf footage in FCPX running Mountain Lion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old September 28th, 2012, 12:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

.mxf footage in FCPX running Mountain Lion

HI All,
I have been trying to import .mxf footage from my c300 into fcpx but I'm running Mountain Lion. The Canon Plugin doesn't work on Mountain Lion & FCPX will not recognise my footage. Has anyone else had this problem & what are they doing ? I see there are quite a few third party .mxf convertors out there. Has anyone had any expereince of them ?
Cheers
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: .mxf footage in FCPX running Mountain Lion

Hi Mark, I use the Canon XF300 which has MXF files - I downloaded FCPX trial and then downloaded the Canon FCPX plugin for `lion.

I have a MBP with Mountain Lion installed btw.

1. Before installing the FCPX plugin for `lion I had to alter one of the plist files to fool my system into thinking it was still at the Lion version.
2.Only then did I install the FCPX plugin.

3. Then I restored the original Mountain Lion plist. before starting up FCPX

4. Now I can import MXF file individually as FCPX can see them and I can even import a section of a clip if need be. The best part is I can work on it straight away as it continues to import in the background.

The only bad news is I do not have the step by step procedure to do the plist conversion but I am sure you can find it on the internet somewhere.

I lied, just found it - here it is https://vimeo.com/groups/canonxf/forum/topic:252578
Old October 25th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Major Player

And now with FCPX 10.0.6 it's possible to use Canon mxc without transcoding it...

Editing Canon MXF footage in Final Cut Pro X ( FCPX ) without transcoding | Paul Joy – Freelance Filmmaker
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You don't transcode MXF file when using the Canon plugin. It re-wraps them as QuickTime friendly .mov files while copying them to the FCP X Events folder.

As far as I can see the new functionality in 10.0.6 is specifically for XDCAM MXF files using 3rd-party plugins.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Major Player

The main advantage is that you can edit directly from the source media files rather than creating a duplicate set of media that uses up valuable storage space. After using Premiere for a year or so I find having to re-wrap or transcode media very old hat, I guess if you're coming from FCP7 it seems more natural.
Old November 4th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

If you are using the option of copying all the files that you use to the FCP Events folder then the re-wrapping takes no extra time. I rather like the way that FCP X can keep all your working files together so that it's straightforward to move a whole project from one machine to another. Premiere Pro's Project Manager is a disaster when it comes to duplicating a project & seems to have particular problem with MXF files.

TBH I don't think disk space is that valuable nowadays & we already have as a minimum three copies of all cards imported so an extra copy in an Events folder costs peanuts even for one of our largish projects with 2-300GB of source files. A 3TB disk sufficient for 10-15 projects is only £100 now.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #7
Major Player

I guess it really depends on what you work on. If you're doing weddings then it's going to be practical to archive projects on cheap drives because you're shots are likely to only be used for that project. For a lot of what I do I have to be able to access shots from previous shoots so I like to keep all of that material connected.

The big benefit of editing directly from a central repository of source material is that I can have multiple projects all accessing the same source files, if those files were scattered across multiple drives things would get tiresome very quickly with having to load drives to copy over specific shots.

I guess we all have different workflow needs but for me the ability to not have to duplicate footage has improved my workflow substantially.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Major Player

The way I will use the "central repository of source material" for weddings is quite simply gathering footage for use in promos in the future! It used to be a drag finding clips etc but should be a breeze now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems