C100: Hoodloupe 3 or 3.2 on the LCD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
Inner Circle

C100: Hoodloupe 3 on the LCD?

I have seen a reference to someone using a Hoodman Hoodloupe 3 with a 4 inch hood riser & sheath on a C100 LCD, with a simple modification (see H D Warrior, which I won't directly link to here).

I am suspicious that this would not allow full coverage of the 3.5 inch LCD, but if anyone owns this loupe it would be great if they could share the dimensions at the base of the device (I believe it is a 4:3 aspect opening from a brief perusal of the web and the Hoodman website, but did not see a detailed spec listed - may have missed it). Hoodman loupe page link below:

HoodLoupes-Hoodman Corporation

Also, I see they have two new 3.2 versions - again, anyone know the exact dimensions on the LCD openings?

I know Zacuto have their special Z Finder device for the C100 in their product pipeline - I linked to a video demo/promo on it a long while back. However, that still does not seem to be available and will no doubt cost a small fortune when it is.

EDIT: OK, after a bit more research I have now found a uk website which illustrates how the Hood Riser fits and shows how the Hoodloupe 3 can be used on 4 inch screens - so that at least clears that aspect up!

Looks like the EX Kit Pro would be the one to get for the C100, at £112.10 ex VAT then 5 mins with a scalpel to modify the mounting strap/sheath. Link to the canford uk site below:

HOODMAN HRS4 HOOD RISER Fits Hoodloupe 3.0 to 4 inch screens

I have found the C100 difficult to use outdoors in bright sunlight (none of that up here where I am at present in the Lake District!) since the poor EVF design, hard rubber eye cup and awkward access allows stray sunlight in. Hence why I am looking at potential solutions.

I have read that someone pulled off the C100 eye cup with relative ease (and got it back on!) so maybe a much better aftermarket eye cup will eventually appear.

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; January 2nd, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 02:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100: Hoodloupe 3 or 3.2 on the LCD?

We're using/recommending the Hoodman HD450(soft).......

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Jim. Another interesting option to consider!

I re-read the 'Zacuto Z-finder for C100 stuff' tonight on their website - it still says November (last year) availability so a Hoodman option is looking like my only main choice right now.

http://www.zacuto.com/canon-c100
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've been waiting on Zacuto since they announced it but I have actually grown fond of the C100's EVF especially after using it at a wedding this past weekend. I know there was alot of gripe about it but it honestly works like a charm and I had others using it at the wedding and they fell in love with it.
Old April 29th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Looks like Cranford have discontinued it.

Anyone else got a line on uk supplier?
James Strange is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems