C300 Filming in extreme cold weather at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 30th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #1
New Boot

C300 Filming in extreme cold weather

Our crew is heading out to a military base in Northern Canada to film some exteriors of military troops performing cold weather training. Average day temperature is -35C or -31F. Our days will be spent entirely outside but we will have a place to warm up and recharge batteries at night. Does anyone have any experience using the C300 in extreme cold? I found this but wondered if it was necessary... PortaBrace - DSLR rig cases | Camera Backpacks!
Thoughts?
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C300 Filming in extreme cold weather

Hi Matt,

The case you have found looks pretty good but I would want to try it on the camera before buying.

I've just been out filming in the snow with my C300, but at very mild temperatures compared to yours, and I used a Petrol Rain cover I've had for quite a few years. The cover worked really well with only the mic, the viewfinder and the front of the lens exposed.

The cover kept the camera dry and I didn't even attempt to use the LCD screen relying totally on the viewfinder. My biggest concern was changing lenses, probably not a great thing to do, which was necessary to get the range of shots I needed. I was swapping between a 100-400L and the 17-55.

I found that everything gets to be much much harder to do in the cold. I was wearing gloves that left 2 fingers exposed and had to find the controls by feel.

What lens / lenses are you planning to use?
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
New Boot

Re: C300 Filming in extreme cold weather

Thanks Mark. I'm used to shooting in the cold but those temperatures of -35C/-30F are extreme for even us Canadians. I'm worried that the camera will simply stop working. We'll be using the 17-55, 70-200, and maybe the 11-16. Has anyone used the C300 in extreme cold?
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems