C100 in Bright Sun - NDs insufficient - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:42 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: C100 in Bright Sun - NDs insufficient

A few notes:

ISO 320 is the same as -6dB. This INCREASES the number of stops below middle gray to 8.1 (compared to 6.7 at ISO 850).

ISO 320 (or -6dB, depending on how you have setup your camera to display sensitivity) provides the cleanest image with most shadow detail that the C100 is capable of.

ISO 850 is the lowest ISO (cleanest, best signal to noise ratio) that provides the most stops of highlight protection: 5.3 stops. All higher ISOs give the same highlight protection, but may potentially introduce more noise.

ALL ISOs, from 320-20000 delivers a total of 12 stops (in Canon Log or Wide DR).

Monday Isa: I'm not sure what you mean when you are describing DOF and shutter speed. There is no correlation between the two, A certain focal length combined with a certain aperture (on a certain sensor) will give you your DOF. Shutter is irrelevant.

Shooting at 30p, most people would select 1/60s as shutter, akin to a 180 degree shutter angle. The shutter can then be fixed there for 30p. No need to change for different DOF needs.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 06:32 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andree Markefors View Post
.....Monday Isa: I'm not sure what you mean when you are describing DOF and shutter speed. There is no correlation between the two, A certain focal length combined with a certain aperture (on a certain sensor) will give you your DOF. Shutter is irrelevant.

Shooting at 30p, most people would select 1/60s as shutter, akin to a 180 degree shutter angle. The shutter can then be fixed there for 30p. No need to change for different DOF needs.
I think you misunderstood my post which is ok. It probably wasn't stated properly. Shooting with the C100 I have found that ISO 320 clips the highlights badly compared to ISO 400 and 850. If I'm outside and want to use a fast aperture like 2.0 on a bright sunny day for shallow dof, I will have to use nd-6 and the only other value I can increase is the shutter. Since I shoot 30P I don't mind the higher shutter values. If I want shallow DOF without using additional nd filters and shooting 12stops, I'm stuck with the shutter value being the one that changes.
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #18
Regular Crew

No, I get that you will run out of options if you're already at 6ND and opening up makes your image too bright.

I also understand that you might want to shoot at ISO 850 for maximum highlight protection.

In the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monday Isa View Post
Since I shoot 30P I don't mind the higher shutter values.
I'm tripping over the word "since".

Why wouldn't you mind higher shutter speeds because you choose 30p? There are no 'right' or 'wrong' here. You can always make a creative decision, but why do you feel once at 30p, you can increase the shutter speed?
Old February 17th, 2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Major Player

I understand now. I shoot at 30P and shooting at a higher shutter doesn't bother me all that much ;)
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Great, then we're on the same page!

=)
Old February 17th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
If you're faced with dirty (or missing) NDs and you have to kick the shutter speed up, I've not really seen the difference between 1/250 and 1/10,000 because the subject matter is missing the motion blur, period. So fill your boots. Just like Jazz: hit a bum note? Do it again - LOUDER. Make it a feature. Chalk it all up to artistic direction.
I saw a film on a big screen that was shot with a lot of outdoor high shutter speed action and it gave me a splitting headache.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #22
Trustee

A bit like the Dog Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan?
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #23
Major Player

Can't think of any other suggestions except for placing some black cloth on your reflectors and placing it close to the face.

Circular polarisers often give a nice look. However, that may interfere with your looks. It can make the sky deep blue depending on the angle of light, subject and camera.

I prefer a higher shutter speed when I am in a boat.
Old February 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
A bit like the Dog Beach scene of Saving Private Ryan?
If it lasted 90 solid minutes and had far more camera movement? Yes.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mercer View Post
That's what I thought. Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas - hate to go back to screw-on ND filters ...
Try Welcome to Xume!.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #26
Major Player

Yesterday I tried doubling and even tripling the shutter speed (from 1/50 to 1/100 to 1/160) and I think that'll work fine. No filters to worry about, no color shift, etc.

Thanks all!
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #27
Regular Crew

TO achieve the same DOF you could (following are approximates). Move away twice the distance from subject, double the focal length and then drop aperture to around f5.6, then you wont have to touch shutter.
Noel Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems