DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/)
-   -   talk me out of it. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-cinema-eos-camera-systems/514690-talk-me-out.html)

Bill Grant March 1st, 2013 12:51 PM

talk me out of it.

Ok. I'm on a C100 kick again. I can't afford it. I have a 5DmkIII. a 6D, and a 60D as well as an HMC-150. If I sold the 6D and the HMC150, I would be about halfway there. I can't see it being worth it, but I want it so bad. Help!!! talk me out of it. Go!
Bill

Glen Vandermolen March 1st, 2013 01:27 PM

Re: talk me out of it.

Um...sorry, but I say go for it.
Assuming you have use for a large sensor video camera. And after all, you already have the lenses for it.

Seth Bloombaum March 1st, 2013 01:34 PM

Um, I happen to like the HMC150 a lot as a conventional camcorder.

Lose it and lose servo zoom and other camcorder conveniences that are more important for run and gun than they are for digital cinema shooting. Lose that nice deep DoF that makes it easy to keep moving subjects in-focus. The scene-file dial is certainly quick to use. You can get a Bebob focus remote and zoom remote and run the cam on a tripod for hours... you can record continuously for those hours. It's gives a reasonably wide-angle, the lens has a good range for my kind of work.

Then there's all that glass you'll have to buy for the C100, unless you already happen to own it. Zoom and focus on the fly - ouch.

Rent a C100 when you need it? Rent an HMC150 when you need it?

Michael Wisniewski March 1st, 2013 01:49 PM

Then there are the internet rumours floating around about the replacement for the 7D and 60D, so maybe wait on those. On the other hand, I too am saving up for a C100.

Troy Moss March 1st, 2013 02:01 PM

Just sold my Panasonic AF100 (Package Deal) on ebay. I'm taking the plunge on a C100 right around NAB. By that time, we'll see if any rumors are true (either a C50 or C200). Price could drop $500, $1000 or we could see some type of rebate. I'd buy the C100 today, but figure I can wait 5 weeks to see what happens. My next project isn't scheduled til early May.

Erik Naso March 1st, 2013 09:03 PM

Why do want the C100? You have a bunch of nice cameras. Can you achieve your vision with the gear you already own? Do you make money with your gear? Can you write it off on your tax's? Is this a expensive hobby and you have an addiction for the newest tech gear?
You ask to be talked out of it so maybe this will help or I just drove you to the store.

Bill Grant March 1st, 2013 11:47 PM

Ok. So...
1. I want it for easier adjustment in post and not to have to synch audio.
It would save a lot of.time and frustration in post.
2. I have plenty of lenses .
3. I only use the HMC for a locked down wide shot and nothing else.
4. I do this full time and make a solid living with my cameras so yeah it's a tax deduction.
Still want it. :)

Glen Vandermolen March 2nd, 2013 12:25 AM

Seems like sound reasoning to me.

Noa Put March 2nd, 2013 02:32 AM

Soo, you want it but can't afford it, even if you would sell 2 camera's, you are answering your own question here :)
I always say to use what you can afford but sometimes you have got to spend money to make money, the most important question is, will you be making more money with it? If that's the case then certainly go for it, what you loose now you will gain later. But if that is not the case and since your brides won't notice the difference between a 6d and a c100 then it's better to keep your feet on the ground and don't take any unnecessary financial risks.

Noa Put March 2nd, 2013 02:33 AM

Can I ask in what way a c100 would sync up easier in post compared to your other camera's?

Sabyasachi Patra March 2nd, 2013 05:57 AM

You will get XLR ports to plug in your microphone. So your quality levels would be better (as compared to slapping a non-XLR microphone on the 6D).

I would say just lose the 60D and the HMC -150 and if you want even the 6D and go for the C100. You can always pick up a still camera second hand. And since it is tax deductable, it will become easier for you.

The quality of the C100 is obviously better than the DSLR. Whether the C100 can segregate you from the DSLR crowd or not is your marketing challenge. Try that.

Rob Cantwell March 2nd, 2013 06:50 AM

you gotta ask - do you WANT it or do you NEED it????

i think your suffering from GAS!!

Gear Acquisition Syndrome I used to suffer from it before the recession.

;-0

R.

Omar Nabulsi March 2nd, 2013 09:10 AM

I would at least wait until NAB before making a decision.

If you really want to be talked out of it though, just remember that the C100 will not give you 60p, any kind of time lapse functionality, and no SDI In/Out. You are stuck at 24p, and absolutely nothing else. It is amazing 24p, but for Canon not to include other basic functionality in a $6K+ camera is too unreasonable INHO.

On the other hand, you have an amazing form factor, amazing image, and ND's and XLR built into one small body which will save you lots of time from having to carry these extra items around like you would with your Mark 3.

My personal choice was to go with a Mark 3 and a Pix220i recorder instead of the C100. I just could not get around the fact of not having 60p or interval recording, because I have depended on those features for too long with my other Sony cameras. True, you are loosing the detail and sharpness of the C100, but the Pix220i will give you SDI In/Out, 422 recording, and XLR inputs with sound quality superior to the C100. The Mark 3 will also give you 60p and the some of the best time lapse functionality of any camera out there.

In your case, I would sell some of your extra cams, and keep the Mark 3. With the money you get from the sales, grab a Pix 220i.

Chris Hurd March 2nd, 2013 09:16 AM

I have to agree with Omar's suggestion to wait for the NAB announcements... however if that changes your decision then there will be a further wait for those cameras to actually start shipping. Conversely, if you have a use for it now, then now is always the right time to buy...

Bill Grant March 2nd, 2013 09:22 AM

All good stuff. Thanks everyone for trying to talk me down. I definitely want it not need it. But here's a few thoughts. It would not necessarily make me money but it would save me time. I don't use 60p at all on my mkIII but if I needed it I would have it there. Also timelapses, which I don't do could be done on the mkIII. I don't think that for what a used 60D is getting these days it would be worth selling. I'm frustrated with the image on the mkIII sometimes because if you get into any mixed light, especially flourescents it just turns to mush. I'm sure the C100 would handle that better and at least allow me to fix it when I get in those spots. I don't do photos really, except on vacation and I would still have the mkIII for that as well as the 60D. The only thing I would miss on the 6D would be the wireless. That is super cool for a vacation camera. You can upload your pics of the beach from the beach. But not worth keeping if I get the C100...
Bill