C100 VS GH3, thoughts? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 6th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Trustee

C100 VS GH3, thoughts?

Hey guys, has anyone here used a GH3 and C100, if so, what did you notice about the image quality differences?

I have a GH3 and am very satisfied with it but am wondering about the image quality improvement (if any, or to what degree) the C100 would have over it......anyone use both?

Thanks guys~
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 VS GH3, thoughts?

Wait a moment. Goes new cameras and better as usual, this will solve your question .-) .

But I like my new C100, it's only what I can say (sorry, I don't have GH3).
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Trustee

They are both very good cameras. The C100 is a little sharper, and a little better in low light, but it's not major in my opinion. I was able to shoot how and what I wanted with both cameras. The biggest difference is the ergonomics and feature set on the Canon - XLRs, NDs, etc.

If you're happy with the GH3, keep shooting with it. I don't think that the C100 is a significant upgrade in image quality for the cost involved unless you can't live without the extra features it offers. Besides, the GH3 shoots 50mbps, which trumps the 24 of the Canon...
Old March 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Major Player

And it has the very important 1080 60p which is why we picked up a pair of them for production rather than the C100.
I've got a short film premiering at the cinema tomorrow that has 2 5Ds and 2 GH3s cut together and they look great. The clients love the look and frankly, it looks really nice on a big screen, using those cameras - and we got things from them that neither the 100 or 300 would have given us for this project - FF and variable frame rates.

FWIW, I still prefer the look of the Canon and always have, and also prefer the look of FF.
When Canon eventually releases a FF 1080 camera with variable frame rates, then I'll reinvest there...unless someone else gets our attention at NAB - but I'm really hoping Canon wakes up from their "crippling" phase with codecs and frame rates and using older processors on wonderful new sensors.

We've had a budget for new cameras for over a year but the lack of 60p on either the 300 or 100 has kept us on the sideline.
If I were you I'd enjoy the GH3. It's a great camera with great detail and nice slow motion.
NAB will be interesting.
Eventually Canon will have to address theses short comings or this segment of the market will move permanently.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Major Player

Don't have the GH3 but used a hacked GH2 as my main camera for a year and a half before getting the C100. Low light the two are in different categories, no question. And other than that, for the type of work I do (news features, etc) I am getting way more useable images out of the C100, and have just started using it.

Then of course there's the NDs, XLRs, ergonomics, etc
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #6
New Boot

I have both and agree that the C100 is better in low light, by about two stops or more (noise), and not just sharper but more detailed. DR is also slightly better with C-log, and moire is less of a factor. I can't see the difference in 24mbps vs 50mbps, I think because Canon did AVCHD right. And you get XLR's and audio control, a waveform on the LCD, peaking, etc. And way more IQ control. And the C100 is built like a tank compared to the flimsy GH3. But you get 60p on the GH3, along with auto focus, and even auto ISO if that interests you. And the GH3 is so small and light it's shocking.
Steven Keller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Two very different cameras. If your comfortable with the workflow of DSLR's then heck yeah! The GH3 is a great little camera, but if you want to have less add ons and a more ergo camera I think the C100 is a great choice. Either way your going to get very good IQ from both cameras. I'm more inclined to use a proper video camera with XLR inputs and waveform but I love my GH3 and I like to use it when it's appropriate. Have you used a dedicated video camera before? I'm not being sarcastic because a lot of people started out with the 5D MKII.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems