C100 LCD Color Matching at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Tourist

C100 LCD Color Matching

I have had a C100 for about 2 months and I am having difficulty with the color accuracy of the LCD. In order to get it to match any of my editing stations, I need to subtract about 500K from what looks accurate during the shoot. I have 2 imacs and a mac pro and have never had this issue with the 5D2, 60D, 5D3, Sony NXCAMs and older cameras. None of the monitors have custom profiles, but I have always had 'what you see is what you get' results during the editing process. I also used a HDMI cable into a television and did not see any color shift.
So, my question is...did I get a camera with a bad LCD screen, or is there a way to adjust the color balance of the screen in the camera?
Thank you in advance for any advice, this forum has been very helpful to me.
Keith Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 LCD Color Matching

I concur that the white balance is about 500k warmer in the LCD.

I've also found that the XF300 can tend to look warmer in the LCD, but not THAT much warmer.

I've found I need to trust my instincts more with the C100: if I'm filming a dance with typical 3200K or lower lighting, I just have to go with that and ignore its looking cool in the LCD.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Trustee

Hmm. Mines always too blue in the LCD as well. Once the footage is on the computer everything looks how it should, but the LCD isn't particularly confidence-inspiring.
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Trustee

+1 on Nate's experience (and Tim's if I read his last paragraph right). I'm usually concerned whilst shooting, and elated when editing. Which is nice.

The screen, for me, is a little cold. But then, I've been working with Sony for the last decade, where the inverse is true.
Old March 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes, Matt, I agree that my last paragraph was ambiguous.

That was to say: "cool" in the "blue/white-balance" sense. The LCD screen would have me think that I should be at, say, 3900 or 4000k when in reality 3200/3000 would be the better outcome.

Fortunately, the camera corrects very well in post. But at least we seem to have found a good consensus and heads-up that you need to err on the lower side of the Kelvin setting.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems