C100 + Ninja 2 question - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 8th, 2013, 04:00 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: C100 + Ninja 2 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post
Mine was dark compared to the C100 LCD but not as dark as what you describe. Mine also had a very pronounced red tint to the screen and recorded clips compared to the C100 native clips, especially under normal room lights.
Here is how bad it is. I have done a dozen other tests and it just plain is too dark. In images that are bright it even appears the contrast is too high and the image posterizes. Hope I can get some help. I have a shoot mid week and this was the last one I could find in stock anywhere. Ugh!
Attached Thumbnails
C100 + Ninja 2 question-ninja-dark.jpg  
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
Here is how bad it is. I have done a dozen other tests and it just plain is too dark. In images that are bright it even appears the contrast is too high and the image posterizes. Hope I can get some help. I have a shoot mid week and this was the last one I could find in stock anywhere. Ugh!
There's definitely something not right about your Ninja. Here is a photo of mine:

http://www.pixol.co/wp-content/uploa..._ninja2-01.jpg

As you can see the ninja screen is bright snd clear. Sorry you can't see the C100 LCD but I can tell you there isn't all that much difference.

Silly question but have you tried a different hdmi cable?
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
Not to totally change subject but related to the c100/c300 debate: What're your guys thoughts on the f5? From what little I've seen so far the f5 makes the c300 a really hard sell..
I'm not sure you are going to get much help on a Canon C series forum. ;)

The only input I can give is comparing the C100 to the Fs100/700 and I'd take the image produced by the Canon any day. But that's purely subjective and everyone will see it differently.
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #34
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
There's definitely something not right about your Ninja. Here is a photo of mine:

http://www.pixol.co/wp-content/uploa..._ninja2-01.jpg

As you can see the ninja screen is bright snd clear. Sorry you can't see the C100 LCD but I can tell you there isn't all that much difference.

Silly question but have you tried a different hdmi cable?
It cannot be the HDMI cable as I have tested the caddies from both my Samurai and my Ninja2 in both. In other words, footage I shot last week at a dance recital on my Samurai, looks way too dark on the Ninja2. So to be clear, it affects prerecorded images also, which leads me to believe that it is something to do with the screen itself, or possibly the image processor just before the screen. I believe the footage is fine....it's simply the display. Either way it is un acceptable. I need to get another one and try it.

I will keep you posted. I did a hardware reset and flashed back to the previous bios and the problem still exists. Again, this is not a C100 issue at all since I have rigged up a Frankenstein rig with HDMI to SDI converter and the footage out of the C100 looks fine on the Samurai.

Thanks. What a frustrating weekend. Was so excited to get this on Friday!
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Bourcier View Post
Not to totally change subject but related to the c100/c300 debate: What're your guys thoughts on the f5? From what little I've seen so far the f5 makes the c300 a really hard sell..
Hopefully Chris will shift these into a new thread, but I'll bite - or at least nibble.

F5: new awesome battery system still really expensive to buy into (and you don't even get a mains supply), you still need to choose an EVF in addition to the F5, you need to buy into SxS Pro cards (I don't think the orange SxS1s will do) and the lens mount is by default (via adaptor) PL.

C300: does what it says on the tin, re-uses your 5dMk2 CF cards, re-purposes your Canon EOS glass, and as such is pretty much ready to use out of the box.

Not dissing the F5 - lovely camera. It will be Front and Centre for certain types of cameraman. For others, the C300 has a lasting charm. There's enough differentiation on price to show who will be interested in the F5 (as in 'one down from Epic, one up from Scarlet' maybe).
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
It cannot be the HDMI cable as I have tested the caddies from both my Samurai and my Ninja2 in both. In other words, footage I shot last week at a dance recital on my Samurai, looks way too dark on the Ninja2. So to be clear, it affects prerecorded images also, which leads me to believe that it is something to do with the screen itself, or possibly the image processor just before the screen. I believe the footage is fine....it's simply the display. Either way it is un acceptable. I need to get another one and try it.

I will keep you posted. I did a hardware reset and flashed back to the previous bios and the problem still exists. Again, this is not a C100 issue at all since I have rigged up a Frankenstein rig with HDMI to SDI converter and the footage out of the C100 looks fine on the Samurai.

Thanks. What a frustrating weekend. Was so excited to get this on Friday!
Yeah it's frustrating alright. The ninja is an excellent price of kit. I hope you can get it replaced fairly quickly.
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Has anyone tried the new Zacuto view finder for the c100? I am really disappointed with the screen.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #38
Major Player

Why dont you like the screen? I was impressed with mine.
Old June 9th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #39
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
Yeah it's frustrating alright. The ninja is an excellent price of kit. I hope you can get it replaced fairly quickly.
I basically know exactly what it can do since I have had the samurai for a year and a half with no problems. I thought the samurai screen was a little dark and not a good judge of lighting or color but could be used for framing and focus assisting when needed. The ninja I have is hopeless for anything viewing wise. Sometimes it is so dark I cannot even see anything! Can't wait to call about this in the morning. My only concern is that a lot of online vendors seem to be out of stock with this.....so I hope I can get a replacement immediately!

Thanks all.
Old June 10th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #40
Trustee

I have new one ordered so we will see when it comes in. In the meantime, anybody know of a good 1/4" 20 mount that I can use to mount the Ninja to the 1/4" 20 hole on the back of the handle? I only have a cold shoe mount version and I do not want the Ninja so far towards the front of the handle.

Thanks. Also, the smaller the better. I want to keep the ninja tucked in close to the handle if possible.
Old June 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
I have new one ordered so we will see when it comes in. In the meantime, anybody know of a good 1/4" 20 mount that I can use to mount the Ninja to the 1/4" 20 hole on the back of the handle? I only have a cold shoe mount version and I do not want the Ninja so far towards the front of the handle.

Thanks. Also, the smaller the better. I want to keep the ninja tucked in close to the handle if possible.
Marty
I use this Brackets Rigs and Accessories | Hague SBL Monitor Bracket with Ball Head | J24 which is fine but can make the camera a bit top heavy with the handle attached.

For a lot of my tripod work I use a small magic arm which I clamp to a tripod leg. This takes the weight away from the camera which is beneficial when using a slider.
Old June 11th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #42
Trustee

I have several mounts that go into the shoe but I'd really prefer to leverage the 1/4" 30 hole at the back of the handle if possible. Still looking! Thanks.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #43
Trustee

You have to be kidding me! I just got my new Ninja2, and there are issues with the Caddy fitting into the device. It feels as though there is some protrusion stopping me from sliding the caddie in all the way. About 1/3 of the way in it hits something and stops. I have been able to successfully angle the caddy and get it past this spot.....and it does indeed dock, and work. But getting the caddy out is nearly impossible and require another person hold the unit and press the release button up, while I grab the caddie with pliers and pull it out. Whatever is protruding inside the Ninja is adding a ton of extra friction. The caddie did come out but then looks like it is all gauged up on the side and the end where the pliers grabbed is a little scuffed.

The good news is that the screen looks awesome compared to the one that I am sending back....but again....this is borderline unacceptable. Is the QC at Atomos lackluster? I shouldn't have to damage my caddie to load it into the device.

Hopefully I can get a flashlight and see what is the issue. Hopefully its a piece of plastic and not a circuit board rubbing on this! Argh........problems, problems, problems.......
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #44
Trustee

OK. I switched out the caddie after I noticed that one of the empty ones slid in and out easily and it seems better. A tight fit for sure but I can now get the caddie out with only a mild struggle, but most importantly, by myself. The screen looks great and I think I may be set. Will update with any additional news. Thanks for helping and listening to me vent. I am under a tight deadline and could be flying out to LA as early as tomorrow for a rush shoot and really wanted to shoot to ProRes and not just AVCHD.

Thanks.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #45
Major Player

Quote:
I have several mounts that go into the shoe but I'd really prefer to leverage the 1/4" 30 hole at the back of the handle if possible. Still looking! Thanks.
Marty,
The mount I linked you to does allow you to use the 1/4" hole, you just have to remove the hot shoe fitting by screwing it off.

The caddies are very tight to remove at first but become easier with use. I'm glad to hear you got yours replaced quickly.

Happy shooting.

Drew.
Attached Thumbnails
C100 + Ninja 2 question-mount.jpg  
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems