C100+ 5D3 COMBO vs 1DC at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 18th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

C100+ 5D3 COMBO vs 1DC

Hello there and i hope u are all well :)

i curently have the FS100 and the 5DII and i work in the Wedding Business mainly as a videographer and part time as a photographer.

I am thinking very much to upgrade and update my current ''weapons' o i can have better options in my work

I had a 60d which i gave away and am thinking of sending my 5Dii to retirement after 3 full years of nonstop work or maybe i will keep it for backup

i want to buy a new camera or new cameras to ''TAG team'' them with my FS100 ( which is my alltime favorite camera even if its have bad ergonomics .

i was looking forward for the A99 but took my interest away cause of the A-Mount and the very bad quality of video according to my expectations and also the similar vg900

anyway

i ended up thinking

of THE 5D3 + C100 VS 1DC for both of my services = Video and photos

any opinions are welcome

thanks in Advance
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100+ 5D3 COMBO vs 1DC

I'm currently shooting with a c100 as my A-cam, and a 5d3 as my b-cam.

So far so good, I'm still very much tweaking the pic profiles to get a (as much as pos) perfect match.

But I needed a b-camera that would match in terms of low light, and other than another c100, the best choice in my opinion was a 5d3.
James Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

This is a good question.

Some info/ideas in this thread about C100 and 5DMk3 part of it.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...pare-c100.html

The main advantage of the 1DC might be the ability to shoot video as well as offering good (high resolution) frame grabs as stills - plus its use for dedicated stills when needed. This is obviously the 1DCs killer feature as we start to see more and more convergance of stills and video into one camera - and one person - who covers both roles that in the past would have had both a video guy and a photographer.

Regarding taking stills from video then the trouble is, shooting video at 1/50 shutter speed, means that selecting frame grabs has to be done with care to avoid motion blur.

It can be done, I just supplied 700+ frame grabs from a high profile corporate video to my client, but in that case they were from my C100 and so limited to 1920x1080 pixels of course. But that is easily sufficient for most website and other uses they needed.

I did see a very nice test video on the web recently where they used a 1DC at various shutter speeds (women with unbrellas/fashion shoot scenario on a set where they had water spraying to mimic falling rain). Then they showed the resulting frame grabs from a range of different shutter speeds. Very interesting and informative - wish I had bookmarked it!

If someone knows the video in question I think it would be very useful to help Anthony here, even though it does not rain much in Cyprus!
Old April 19th, 2013, 03:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

thank u James and Andy for your responce!

I had the chance few days ago to work with a C300 and i had the chance to compare it with my FS100.
Is true that the c300 has an amazing quality of video and the codec is a marvel and a real joy to work with but in general on the project I had the plan of using the C300 the most i ended up using the fs100 with a vari ND filtrer on it. basicly the thing that gave me the motivation for more fs100 work was the 50p that unfortunatly the c300 is missing on full HD.

I havent got the chance to see a C100 in person and in Cyprus this cameras are coming only when u buy them , no chance for renting or even go by a camera shop to check it.

I know that the c100 especially for weddings will be a great tool with the size and ergonomics this camera have but the luck of 50p is a major drawback for me .........slo motion is a easy way to show the feelings and the emotions the best way ..........and after working with 50p i dont want to look at 50i again ;D

the 1DC seems to be a great all around camera and it have the 50/60p on the full hd that i like and in simple maths its an 1DX plus a 5000usd camera :D

.Andy Rain in Cyprus is a MIracle when its happens! ;D

here is the video i think u found in youtube

Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I had the 5Dmk3 and C100 combo and decided to make the switch to a 1Dc.

I've outlined my thoughts and I have footage from both C100 and 1Dc on Vimeo.

First impression: Canon 1Dc

It all depends how you like to work of course...
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Yep! That was the video.
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Major Player

C100 is different comparing with any DSLR, it's better. Much better in all regards. Latitude, resolution, moire, rolling shutter.

Currently I use it with Panasonic GH2,3 and Nikon DSLRs. Canon 5dmk2, 5dmk3, seem to have a different colorimetry than C100. It's easier to color match C100 to Nikon D800, D800e, GH3, for some reason and they look more alike, strange but true. (in my discoveries). 5dmk3 is probably the softest DSLR in the history of the medium.

I shoot, take photos, commercially as well. Video, that is my main occupation.
Use Nikon gear for photos (D4, D800e). Use Ais Nikkors on Canon via inexpensive adapter.

From humble observations, C100 seem to have more latitude than 1DC. That's reason number one to me to choose it over. 4k delivery? No. Not in my market, applications.

Considered, studied 1 DC.
4k from 1DC. Not sure. Great resolution, yet what I've seen, posterisation, here and there, as much rolling shutter, moire, similar to most DSLRs.
4k is a crop, not FF, thats what made me finally to go C100 way. For video, shooting 4k is hard in terms of media quantity, considering that an average wedding consumes 6 hours of footage from one camera, 90% of the time it's 2 or more cameras, they have to look alike. No point to make one camera look better (converted from 4k to 2k, and the others look pale).

Just my 2 Cents. (or maybe 100 cents for C100 :)

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; April 20th, 2013 at 01:11 AM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 01:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi Oleg,

I don't' agree with everything you said.

You're probably right about rolling shutter: the C100 reads its sensor at 60fps at all times and it's a bit better than DSLRs, including the 1Dc.

Dynamic range is the same for all of Cinema EOS range when using Canon Log: 800% or 12 stops. You need to put the 1Dc at ISO 400 or above to use it though, otherwise there's clipping. This wasn't well documented when the 1Dc first was given to testers, and I think the reports of banding is due to this fact.

1Dc moiré? No way, it's clean.

Regarding crop: the C100 is just over 1.5 in crop and the 1Dc in 4k mode is about 1.3. It's not full frame, but it's still noticeably larger than S35 (for better or worse: you can't use crop lenses on 1Dc, and there are a few good ones there). Also 4k on 1Dc is pixel for pixel. No skipping or anything like that.

I really liked the C100, and for the price you can't go wrong with it, if you're primarily filming.

My issue was that I often couldn't take two cameras with me, so I opted for the "one camera solution" in the 1Dc.

I think they are all good choices.
Andree Markefors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I started out with a Sony EX1 some years back & about a year ago bought 5D mk3. Both great cameras but with different strengths & weaknesses. A couple of months back after evaluating a lot of footage & reviews on Vimeo etc I ordered a Canon C100 and Ninja 2 as it seemed to combine some of the strengths of both cameras.
Then a few days prior to delivery I spotted footage James Miller and Johnnie Behiri had posted on Vimeo from the 1Dc.

I really liked the look of the 1Dc footage & to me appears less like video and more like film than what I've see from the C100. That's not implying there's anything wrong with the C100 image, just an aesthetic preference.
So it was a difficult choice as in many ways the C100 with built in nd filters, XLR inputs, peaking & waveform monitor etc would be more practical for the type of corporate presentation work I do.

Anyway I ended up changing my order and buying the 1Dc & so far I'm very happy with it.
4k is very easy to downscale to 2k prores for practical purposes and the Super 35 mode footage is very detailed and a good option if I need to work with smaller files and also works brilliantly with the Ninja 2. Full frame 1080P is better than 5D3 and 50/60P 1080P, though a little soft, is still very useable with some post sharpening. There are banding issues shooting in 4k log if ISO is set below but using a good variable ND filter in bright conditions gets around this. I've heard Canon will address this with a future firmware update.

So in my case I chose a preference of look over other practical considerations but so far have no regrets.
Pretty good stills camera also.

Both very good cameras and in the end I guess it's how you use them that's most important.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

thank u all for the replies!! they do help me a lot .

i am 80% going for the 1dc :P

its not that the COMBO WILL not be good but i feel and think that the 1DC have more life than especially the C100.

i mean no matter what will happen in the world of cameras in the next few years and even if i had to upgrade in the near future again for a videocamera. the 1DC will still be there to serve my photography needs and will not get old so soon.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems