C100 grainy images - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: C100 grainy images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Koha View Post
What exactly is this C-Log I keep hearing about?
To add to what Matt said....

C-Log is for situations when you know you will be color grading. It has the highest dynamic range available on the C series cameras (canon says 12 stops although they showed a test chart with approx 13 at the C300 launch) and gives the photographer the most flexibility when shooting. For the most part you simply white balance and avoid clipping your highlights and leave the rest to your colorist/ or handle in the comfort of the editing bay.

C-Log has more saturation than most Log gamma schemes and thus tends to look "not bad" without color grading. In bright contrasty sun situations, it quite often actually looks "finished". I use it for almost everything, as I'm not enamored with the color from any of the presets supplied by Canon.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies. I have been away so unable to respond. I guess I was shooting in very low light conditions when I saw noise. Overall, using Wide DR, I find that in bright light the camera tends to overexpose by at least one stop when using one one touch auto iris. White balance seems off. Outdoor white balance is too blue. Auto white balance was not very helpful. Images seemed excessively sharp so I am thinking of changing that setting. I have a lot to learn.
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Here is a short "trailer" of a high school production shot with the EX1r and the c100. I switched to using EOS standard for a while, and definitely prefer Wide DR. I am blown away by the camera but, as always with theatre productions, one has to ride the iris wheel.

Mervin Langley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems