Free Music Video BTS Breakdown - 5D mk 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 11th, 2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Free Music Video BTS Breakdown - 5D mk 3

Here's a detailed behind the scenes post on a video we've just finished off here in NZ:

Logan McMillan | Film + Photo Nightchoir “Pretty Good” Music Video – Behind The Scenes

All shot on the 5Dmk3.

Cheers!
Old May 11th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Free Music Video BTS Breakdown - 5D mk 3

Nice work Logan.
I like the band a lot as well, a bit reminiscent of one of my favorites - Crowded House and the Finn Brothers.
After shooting with a pair of 5Ds for several years I just added a pair of GH3s to our kit primarily for Slomo but have really been enjoying the form factor especially flying them on jibs etc.- and increased resolution.
So I've been shooting with them more and more.

But watching this reminds me of why I've filmed so many projects with the 5D. Despite how it doesn't hold up resolution wise beside the BMC or GH3, it's got an aesthetic that is still very unique.
Honestly for a style like the one you went with on this, I don't know that an Alexa would have served any better.
So now I'm going over and getting the Cinema Style profile to try it out.

Also love shooting the 24-105 and 85 1.8 on the Canon and have a couple of copies of the Nikon 50mm you used too. But I'm afraid I'm getting lazy - I just picked up a couple of Oly 12-50mm for the GH3s that fit in my hand, weigh nothing and give the same coverage as the 24-105 on the Canon...and they're sharp.

Again great job...with the page you built as well.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Free Music Video BTS Breakdown - 5D mk 3

Thanks Jim!

We struck it lucky with a beautiful day and I made sure we shot only in the late afternoon and always with the sun as a backlight. I think that's the biggest factor in the overall look.

I used to shoot GH2 and AF102. Definitely miss my GH2 - much easier to carry around and grab photos with. 5D + 24-105mm is not a pocket camera :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems