Jerky slow down footage - C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

Jerky slow down footage - C100

Just curious if anyone know why my footage becomes jerky when I slow it down a little in FCX. Since both the camera and the software are new to me I don't know which one is the problem. I used to slowdown 5D III footage in FC7 and it was fine. Anyone know?
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Jerky slow down footage - C100

Which framerate are you shooting with the camera? Also, is the timeline rendered? Is frame blending on?
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:31 AM   #3
New Boot

FCPX has optical flow for that, but most of the time it just causes blurring and a morphing effect if subjects move too fast or overlap each other. You have to choose your shots wisely when slowing down in FCPX

There are 3 different slow down options when you look under 'retime' settings

normal
blend (iirc)
Optical Flow
Josh Kallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Trustee

Let's say you're shooting the majority of your work at NTSC frame rates - 29.97 fps - and you're using Progressive for a 'film look'. Let's call that 30p for now.

If you want slomo, you can either shoot 1080p30 (or whatever your natural frame rate is) and use 'Optical Flow" algorythms so each frame morphs to the next with variable results, Or you use the double frame rate of interlaced video.

So, for slomo, you'd shoot at 60i - the 'traditional video look' frame rate which is devalued today, and noting that 'interlace' video gets 'deinterlaced' for display on anything that isn't a Cathode Ray Tube monitor (the big glass bubbles of yesteryear).

Deinterlacing can be done two ways: nicely or quickly. Nice deinterlacing interpolates between each scan line in a field by using standard up-rezzing algorithms, but loses 25% of the resolution so 1080p looks like 720p (that or thereabouts - actually 768 lines). Quick deinterlacing doubles up each line in a field, halving the resolution. So 1080p looks like 540p.

So, 60i to 30p slomo LOWERs the effective resolution, but looks smooth because you've natively captured the movement. Smooth but dull. This method works best on a simple 'doubling' of time (or two-times-time-and-a-halving' from 60i to 24p).

The Optical Flow process is more flexible but looks a bit processed to the discerning eye. You tend to get what you pay for, hence price of Twixtor.

Or you use the quick and dirty 'Frame Blending' default of your NLE, which is probably what you're refering to' and things look juddery. Sometimes, this is the effect you're looking for.

C100 isn't a slomo camera, but thanks to its detail, and most people's need for slomo, an Optical Flow/Twixtor solution is all you need. Beyond that, you're moving into FS700 territory.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #5
New Boot

Have a look at settings on the camera, I've been in the same situation myself shooting on my trusty 7D.

I pinpointed it down to the shutter speed, any sense of motion blur when using an optical flow/twixtor can quite easily go to mush.

If as Mike mentioned you're shooting in "30p", at 1/60. Try doubling up next time to 1/120 or further to see give yourself a fighting chance.
Chris Malley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Kallis View Post
FCPX has optical flow for that, but most of the time it just causes blurring and a morphing effect if subjects move too fast or overlap each other. You have to choose your shots wisely when slowing down in FCPX

There are 3 different slow down options when you look under 'retime' settings

normal
blend (iirc)
Optical Flow
Thanks Josh. I didn't realize there were 3 slow down options in FCX. This sorted my problem. Thank you
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Haustein View Post
Which framerate are you shooting with the camera? Also, is the timeline rendered? Is frame blending on?
I solved the problem by changing to different slow down option in FCX.
Old May 25th, 2013, 05:08 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
Let's say you're shooting the majority of your work at NTSC frame rates - 29.97 fps - and you're using Progressive for a 'film look'. Let's call that 30p for now.

If you want slomo, you can either shoot 1080p30 (or whatever your natural frame rate is) and use 'Optical Flow" algorythms so each frame morphs to the next with variable results, Or you use the double frame rate of interlaced video.

So, for slomo, you'd shoot at 60i - the 'traditional video look' frame rate which is devalued today, and noting that 'interlace' video gets 'deinterlaced' for display on anything that isn't a Cathode Ray Tube monitor (the big glass bubbles of yesteryear).

Deinterlacing can be done two ways: nicely or quickly. Nice deinterlacing interpolates between each scan line in a field by using standard up-rezzing algorithms, but loses 25% of the resolution so 1080p looks like 720p (that or thereabouts - actually 768 lines). Quick deinterlacing doubles up each line in a field, halving the resolution. So 1080p looks like 540p.

So, 60i to 30p slomo LOWERs the effective resolution, but looks smooth because you've natively captured the movement. Smooth but dull. This method works best on a simple 'doubling' of time (or two-times-time-and-a-halving' from 60i to 24p).

The Optical Flow process is more flexible but looks a bit processed to the discerning eye. You tend to get what you pay for, hence price of Twixtor.

Or you use the quick and dirty 'Frame Blending' default of your NLE, which is probably what you're refering to' and things look juddery. Sometimes, this is the effect you're looking for.

C100 isn't a slomo camera, but thanks to its detail, and most people's need for slomo, an Optical Flow/Twixtor solution is all you need. Beyond that, you're moving into FS700 territory.
HI Matt,

Thanks for a very detailed explanation. Fortunately changing to a different "slow" mode in FCX sorted the issue. I was just looking to make already slow panning a bit slower.
Kathy Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems