Church Video with C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Church Video with C100

Thought I'd share this video I did of my church with the C100. The goal was to approach the church, which is a rather plain looking modern church, and try to get what shots I could to make it look interesting.

I used Wide DR mostly at ISOs around 320-850 (with Noise Reduction set to 3), aside from the first two night shots at ISO 6400 (I think I set noise reduction to 7 for those shots). Graded with Magic Bullet Looks and some with Colorista as well. Lenses used were the Canon 35mm f/1.4L and Tokina 11-16 f/2.8. Stabilization with the Kessler Stealth Slider and Glidecam HD4000. I turned off all of the church lights and lit things with an Arri 650, 2 Lowel Pro 250s, a Lowel Tota, 3 500 watt work lights, and a few LED lights (LEDs mainly for the outdoor shots). Comments and constructive criticism welcome.

Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Church Video with C100

Great video Eric! Loved the pacing and the music... So you adjust Noise Reduction based on ISO? I'm not that impressed with the noise I'm getting out of the c100 even on low ISO shots with tons of light... lots of coloured noise in the shadows (with the C-Log and no noise reduction). Experimenting with the NR settings myself so it's good to hear how others are dealing with it.
Jef Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 02:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks! Yeah, what I did was plug the C100 into an HDTV and test out the various in camera noise settings to figure out what looks best for each ISO value. Another way to do it is to do the digital zoom on the C100 LCD, then go to Custom Picture menu while the digital zoom is activated, and you can better see the results of noise reduction that way.

I haven't tested all levels, but a few I've concluded work best are:

ISO 320-850: NR 3
ISO 6400: NR 7-8
ISO 12800: NR 9
ISO 20,000: NR 11

I don't own Neat Video (it's on my list of things to buy) or other noise reduction software, so for now I'm doing all noise reduction in camera. I'm not sure if it's better to do in camera or in post. It can be a pain to do adjustments on the fly during fast paced events like weddings, but I try to keep up with adjusting it when I can. I really wish you could map the different ISO values to specific Noise Reduction levels automatically.

Also, I find shooting below ISO 850 (when you have enough light on the main subject, but still have dark shadows), say at ISO 320, considerably reduces the noise in the shadows. My understanding is that below ISO 850 you gain latitude in the shadows but lose some in the highlights, so if you're dealing with lots of shadows (like I was for many of the shots here) and your highlights are under control, then you want to shoot below ISO 850.
Eric Coughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Coughlin View Post
constructive criticism welcome.
There's not much to say about this, I really liked the controlled motion with the slider and the first 2 outdoor shots where awesome, the c100 produces some very sharp images, must be a great camera to work with.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Certainly has drama. The shots are well lit, smooth and interesting. I just wonder is it the right mood for this particular church. I would assume they want a warm/loving/welcoming feel, and this seems much to somber and moody, especially with that track.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 11:55 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Eric,

Bravo but I kind of had the same feeling. Beautifully shot but I thought C-log might desaturate it a bit more and make it more spiritual. Possibly too sharp and too bright for my tastes. A Gregorian chant might have brought it more together.

But you put it up there for all of us to see. Congratulations! Well done. Just one opinion--
Bill Scherer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems