Rig Mount Power Supply at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 28th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Rig Mount Power Supply

I have a doubt, Rig suppliers have power distribution block (for Example : lanparte camera Sony V mount baterry pinch and spliter ) which basically uses One V Mount batt & splits out power to different volts. In particular if One chooses to use its power output of 7.2V to power Canon C300 power adopter input (which says DC input 8.4V) would the slight difference of 1.2V affect cameras functioning in long or short term usage.

yes the C300 does have internal battery but what if one wishes to use external power in above configuration !
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Rig Mount Power Supply

Switronics appear to do a 48" D-Tap to DC in cable, with a little 'thing' in the middle to ensure it's delivering 8.4V rather than 12-14V. I'm not sure about sponsors here, but googling "Switronix XP Powertap Cable for Canon C300" should find one.

(Note to lurkers - D-Tap provides 'sort of' 12V, but it can vary. It's a fairly common socket to find on larger capacity batteries as well as Power Dristribution Units)

HawkWoods also do a V-Lock Power Distribution unit (like your Lanparte link - a V-Lock plate with lots of D-Taps off it) with a fixed Canon C300 power cable.

I'm sure a good engineer could knock up a cable with the required Voltage Regulator for a tenth of the cost of a pre-made unit, but then there's the cost of the engineer and of course testing it on your $14k pride and joy.
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Swit & Hackwood had been thru my scanner but were very expensive ... No whats expensive dont necessarily be good. Lanparte does sound cool but yes looking for a better cheaper option not necessarily a less in quality.

Back to my original question - If i use 72.v instead of 8.4V where does it hurt ?
Roger Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Pinto View Post
whats expensive dont necessarily be good.
Well, let's see that one work over time. And, "buy cheap, buy twice." - I did put that engineer thing at the end for you to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Pinto View Post
Back to my original question - If i use 7.2v instead of 8.4V where does it hurt ?
So the camera has a given Power requirement, measured in Watts, known as 'P'. If P=IV, then V=P/V so if you reduce V, and we assume P is the same, I (amps) goes up.

The way I picture it uses liquids. Please, anyone, do correct me on this! P (Power, the 'Watts') is the 'suck' value (the sucking power of a piglet, the requirement of water in dousing a fire). V is the flow rate of the liquid in a given hose/teat. It's the width of the hose/teat. Are you still with me?

So if you reduce the flow and the suck remains the same, the stress comes on the I (the amps). The suck exceeds the flow and the pipe should get wider so more 'bits' get through at the given flow rate. You're drawing more amps and so a fuse may blow. Or it might not and simply burn something else. You run your engine on lower octane fuel, it burns out quicker.

For the sake of anything cherished, if you do want to stick a wire between a given battery and your joyous camera, ensure you get a good voltage regulator between them.

Last edited by Matt Davis; July 29th, 2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Removed slightly sarcastic, satirical 'blow back'.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems