C100 and 5DM3 questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 16th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 and 5DM3 questions

Hello all, I just received my C100 today. I Haney hasd much time to play with it, but I have a few questions regarding shooting with the C100 and 5DM3. I have a wedding coming up in late September and I plan on using the 5D to record from the back of the ceremony, and using the C100 from the front of the ceremony. Would this be a good way to use the cameras? Also I was thinking about getting a 17-40 L and using it on the C100 and then using the 24-105 that came with the C100 and use it on the 5DM3. I also currently own the Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8, and Canon 70-200 F4 non IS. The good thing about the wedding is that it's outdoors, so I shoudn't have low light issues. Any suggestions would be welcomed....Dave
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: C100 and 5DM3 questions

Both of those cameras are amazing in low light ... if anything, I would personally love to shoot a low light wedding just because I know I have the equipment to handle it!
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3
Trustee

I've got a C100 and 550, and have shot a lot with the 5D Mk2, and two things strike home about the C100:

1) It's got a lot more detail in the picture - it just resolves more.

2) It's got a wider dynamic range with richer details in the shadows

And of course there's the 5D Mk2's 'thing' about skin - it does magic things, though amdittedly it can get a little clay-like if one overdoes things and then intercuts with a camera with good resolving detail that shows more of the texture of the skin.

So here's a 'shoot from the hip' idea... I'd shoot the closeups with the 5D Mk2 where the skin will look lovely and you're using the full frame to its best advantage (especially at f4-f5.6), and use the C100 for the wide shot using WDR (which works well with the DSLR on Technicolor etc), and the detail turned down to 0 to -10 (add some sharpening back in post if necessary).

IMHO, you're going to get more issues with aliasing and moire on the 5D Mk2 if it's doing a wide shot with your Tokina or other wide lens and you're going for tack sharp. Whereas, most of your closeups on a wedding are going to be those dreamy moments, beautiful bride, etc, which is exactly when you want that shallow DoF and flawless radiant skin.

The only issue is that you're limited to 12 minute chunks, which is where a 3rd camera like a NEX-5R, BMPC or other small camera with longish battery, longer recording time and resonable codec can be Gorilla-Pod clamped somewhere discrete but forward facing to cover the button-off-button-on moments. The 'safety' camera. LOL
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You may want some ND for use on the 5D on an outdoor.

I've been mixing both cams (C100 and 5DIII) for a few months now, with no issues at all. Wide DR on the C100 and Cinestyle on the 5DIII - both have been cutting together very easily, with minimal correction, on skintones/interviews etc.

Matt, think you may have missed the "Mark 3" suffix - file lengths are 29 mins on the III.

If you're the single operator, you'll need to stop and start the 5D, so that may well determine which one you shoot the CUs with.

One other tip, to add to Matt's - get a load of CUs of the congregation - listening, smiling etc, perhaps beforehand, to act as cutaways when you're turning over the 5DIII.

Ben.
Ben Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies guys.

Matt, regarding your reply below
The only issue is that you're limited to 12 minute chunks, which is where a 3rd camera like a NEX-5R, BMPC or other small camera with longish battery, longer recording time and resonable codec can be Gorilla-Pod clamped somewhere discrete but forward facing to cover the button-off-button-on moments. The 'safety' camera. LOL
August 16th, 2013 05:41 PM

I have the Mk3 and It has a 29 minute regarding time. I also have a T2i/550D that I'm running ML v2.3. I could hide it up front as you mentioned and set ML to resart recording. I've played around with this feature and it seem to work pretty good. I'm also going to have my sister operate the C100 from the back and I will sneek around frolm side to side and get side angles as well of them saying their vows and the bride and grooms parents reactions.

How do you guys feel about the 17-40 mm F4 provided you've used this lens before? I figured I could use it on the C100 and put the 24-105 on the Mk3. The Tokina would be too wide for the Mk3 and i don't have any other wide lenses for the Mk3.

I must also add that I was worried about purchasing this camera due to some of the comments I read regaring the price and the AVCHD codec, but I'm happy with the purchase. IMO the quality is amazing. The view finder isn't the best, but coming from DSLR's I didn't have that feature, also as for Slo Mo I can always use the Mk3 and record at 60fps and then slow it down in post using Motion. Price ,wise yeah it's expensive, but it is what it is.
Dave Ande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Trustee

The Tokina doesn't work on the 5d3. Does the C100 have a crop sensor? The 11-16 works great on the 7d.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:34 AM   #7
Trustee

The C100 has a crop sensor, but it's a little more 1.5x rather than 1.6x - you can tweak this to a true 1.6 EOS crop in software with no visible artifacts.

Hmmm - I hear that the Tokina 11-16 did crop at 11mm on the 5D Mk2, but was okay at 16mm. Is this proven different on the 5D Mk3? That would suck.
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:13 PM   #8
Major Player

I have tried it on my MK3 and at 16 there is vignetting, at 11 it's like shooting through a doughnut.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #9
Trustee

Okay - that's official. Mk3 = suck. What a shame.
Old August 21st, 2013, 10:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

That's correct, the Tokina does vignette.at 16mm on the 5DM3. And like Jerry said, at 11mm it's like looking through a doughnut
Dave Ande is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems