C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 20th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Major Player

C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability

Today I had to shoot interviews out in bright sunlight. I once again setup WideDR, and for one of my interviews had a white reflector filling in, and for the two others, had a 1x1 Litepanels fill, and the third (with the purple tshirt) had the white board shielding the sun and fill with a 1x1 Litepanels.

I have to say, that I've not been disappointed with using the Wide DR on these outdoor shots (of which i do lots). I'm really amazed at the latitude I'm getting from this setting on the C100, much more like what I expect from the xf300 shooting 4:2:2. Plus I'm getting beautiful DOF.

These are all stills off the footage, and not color corrected at all.

Anyway, these are exactly what I would expect out of the C100. Good stuff for a small company like mine, where two crew are a major shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability-ptmsc-mscc-interviews.jpg  
Al Bergstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability

Thanks for the post! Do you prefer Wide DR over C-log?
Omar Nabulsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #3
Major Player

For this kind of shooting yes. C is a bit hard to judge in camera for fast setup and shooting. For theatrical,and lots care in post coloring,then I would likely shift to it.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Tourist

What ISO do you use when shooting in WideDR? There seems to be varying opinions on whether 850 is base ISO for only Canon Log or does it also apply to using WideDR. Thanks.
John Yasunaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Major Player

I've not been disappointed in 850 yet, though I've not done great tests at other ISOs.
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Major Player

Yes, iso850 is for the best dynamic range only with Canon log gamma.

If you use this iso for wdr gamma when shot scene with good light, you only made noise more visible (you set gain from -6dB to +2.5dB).

You can test this with WF monitor - set exposure (of the CMOS chip) with iris (shutter speed or ND filter) to be ok (without clipping), with iso850 and canon-log gamma, then change iso to 320 and gamma to wdr. And look at your WF monitor for clipping in luma. Change iso with wdr to 850 and you will see clipping - but this is an amplifier (ISO/GAIN) clipping, this is not clipping from the chip. That is all.

(( If you want, with the same exposure and lightning try to change iso again to 850 and canon-log gamma. And set iso to 640 (or 320) and try to open iris now to see a clipping - you will see clipping on WF monitor (with canon log gamma) at a different level of signal modulation - 80pct e.g. - iso in this case change only a modulation level, with canon-log gamma and iso 850 amplifier let you to get the full 100pct of signal modulation. ))
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #7
Trustee

Just to jump in with a little 'BTW'...

WDR has sharpening/detail enhancement applied. C-Log does not.

If you're to shoot with WDR, it may be very beneficial to make a version of WDR that doesn't have sharpening/detail wound up - especially if you're in a controlled lighting environment (where WDR beats C-Log) in a chromakey studio (chromakey hates sharpening).

I fell foul of this as I had a CP on a card for WDR, and in an urgent situation (late to studio) used the camera's default WDR not my corrected WDR, and now have to eat into my key to remove the telltale black outline.

WDR is great, but be aware of the little things Canon added to make the picture look even better. Sharpening is far better done in post if you have the time. LOL
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #8
Major Player

WDR has a lot of noise at 50i and 4000iso, look at crop pictures from wdr vs. cine1 testing (tiff + jpeg versions). I used wdr only to iso1250 (or 2000).

Sharpening of wdr gamma is from the CP?
Attached Thumbnails
C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability-060-wdr-4000iso-50i-test-noise-crop.jpg   C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability-061-cine1-4000iso-50i-test-noise-crop.jpg  

C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability-060-wdr-4000iso-50i-test-noise-crop.tif   C100: Wide DR: Always amazed at it's ability-061-cine1-4000iso-50i-test-noise-crop.tif  

Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Yes, so you have to 'write-unprotect' it, lower the sharpening, resave it, reapply write protect (if you wish).

But your example is another lovely display of things to watch out for. Around 20-30 IRE? Looks a bit less...
Old September 4th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Major Player

I am editing now, so I don't have time to look to another project to WF for IRE level, but it was a dark afternoon (and small windows at a room .-) ), some correct scene for iso4000 testing (50i).

My WDR CP is built from a clear preset, so it has sharpness -3, coring 0, no noise reduction, it's the same sharpnees setting as has the second cine1 CP.

For cine1 I use normal4 color matrix and I change a color saturation level (color gain). It has better colors for me.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems