Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 14th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is?

I am trying to deduce whether or not there is a m4/3 adapter for this lens? It's not my lens, but somebody asked to find out for them.

It's a Vario-Sonnar 10-100mm f2.8.

I seemed to have my guesses narrowed down to an S or B mount. But wasn't sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is?-1.jpeg   Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is?-image-2.jpeg  

Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is?-image-1.jpeg  
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Know what kind of Arriflex mount this is?

H i James,

It looks very like the Arri Standard mount that has a flange depth of 52.00 mm and fits a mount with an internal diameter of 41 mm. It was a very common mount on the the early Arriflex cameras and was replaced by the Arri bayonet mount that in turn was replaced by the PL mount..
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Trustee

2nd that!

Chris Young
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Google gave me this: Micro 4/3 System : Arriflex Lens to Micro 4/3 Adapter
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Awesome! Super helpful. Thanks guys!
James Klatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #6
Major Player

Any time! I'd love to stick that thing on a BMCC haha. There's part of me that wants a m4/3 BMCC just because of all the cool vintage glass you can convert.
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Evan,

I am pretty sure that the 10-100 Vario-Sonnar was for Standard 16 mm use only and did not even cover Super 16. Please let me know if it is any use because I have one tucked away somewhere.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Interesting. If it's 16mm it should cover the BMPCC then. I dont own one at the moment. What would you want for the lens?
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #9
Major Player

Alistair,
You are quite correct. The 10-100 (both the early f/3.1 and the classic f/2.0) were standard 16mm lenses.

Ken
Ken Plotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #10
Inner Circle

It looks like an ARRI-standard mount to me too. If it is a standard 16mm motion picture lens, not Super16mm, then it may vignette on wide and in the approximate zone 25mm to 35mm give or take. This seems to be a bit of a rule of thumb for standard 16mm zooms and some 2/3" zoom lenses. 2/3" ENG lenses vignette the corners on a 16:9 SI2K image frame. If you crop the sensor for faux-cinemascope, then the frame is clean on the Canon HDTV lens and TV-Nikon lens of the 8mm to 125mm zoom range. The BMPCC sensor I understand may be slightly larger than the SI2K sensor which is 2048 x 1152 worth of five micron pixels. If it is, then the crop might intrude more into a longer range of the zoom movement in these lenses.

There is a fair amount of structure beyond the rear of the ARRI standard mount shoulder end which on many specimens is 18mm to rear of the flange face. For this reason you cannot use ARRI standard or ARRI B-Mount lenses with PL-Adaptor rings on Canon DSLRs without impinging on internal structures of the cameras within and behind the Canon mount lens receiver.

By guesswork, the rear of lens to sensor clearance looks to be about 9mm for Micro 4/3rds which is in the ballpark of 19mm flange to focal plane. I think I would be wanting to put something soft across the rear of the lens before I went anywhere near the bare sensor of the BMPCC camera with it.

Last edited by Bob Hart; October 18th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote: -
"There is a fair amount of structure beyond the rear of the ARRI standard mount shoulder end which on many specimens is 18mm to rear of the flange face".

There is 36 mm protruding past the seating flange on my 10-100 mm Vario-Sonnar i.e. the rearmost section of the lens would be 16 mm from the film plane. In the case of the Arri there was a spinning mirror/shutter in that space.

If anyone is interested in mine I can say that its working life was in a blimped camera which means that it was not subject to the normal handling wear and tear and thus is in good condition cosmetically. When I bought it I fitted it with gears for focus, focal length and iris but never used it due the high cost of film.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems