Canon announces Dual-Pixel AF upgrade for C100 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 17th, 2013, 05:07 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Canon announces Dual-Pixel AF upgrade for C100

Really snappy focus.

But you will need to actively use it with the focus lock button otherwise it shifts focus to momentary dominant shapes such as the bottle at 01.26.

I can't actually believe that they will let this 'upgrade' out in it's present form, it's too crude a tool, especially for a Cinema Eos Camera camera such as the C100.

Surely by the time this upgrade is available it will have some of the sophistication of the Dual Pixel AF on the 70D, with face recognition and the ability select a focus zone.

The present incarnation of continuous AF that came with the recent firmware upgrade ( only usable with 2 specific STM lenses ) actually looks more pleasant than this with a nice slow shift into focus but that requires optimum light and is far slower than the AF demonstrated in this clip.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #32
Inner Circle

I fully agree with both the above comments.

When I wrote "great" I actually meant "shows exactly how it performs". Note to self, drink my morning coffee before I star typing on a Sunday morning!

OK, now I'm off to see Gravity in 3D in a Cambridge cinema :-)
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #33
Major Player

I also agree with the above post. I thought at first it was a must have and got quite excited, but it's not. Until the focus point is moveable or face recognition is available, I'm afraid it's no use to me. Certainly not fort $500.

If they can do it in the 70D then why not the C100?

Shame.
Old November 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #34
Trustee

Centre focus does seem to be a case of 'aim at foot, pull trigger'. But...

Let's turn this around - offered a choice of, let say, face tracking and 'the focus centre is the middle of your magnified image' (e.g. the new 'move your MAGN. area with the joystick, and the AF square is the middle of that), which would you go for?

I'd like both, but would rather champion 'what I have in the middle of my MAGN area is what in focus' rather than relying on face tracking. Want both MAGN and full view? Get a Ninja. It's those hairy situations with a slider and an interview that I'd love a 'magic bullet' solution.

I'd hope this solution is easier and quicker to implement while being more useful to a wider range of users.

But yes.. Face detection is cool too.
Old November 18th, 2013, 05:04 AM   #35
Major Player

Good points Matt.

I think I'd go for the focus in the centre rather than face recognition. But having said that, I could really have used face recognition on a narrative piece just the other week. It would have been an absolute life saver.

Anyway, what's wrong with wanting EVERYTHING? he he. And while we're at it, give us our slow motion and our stop motion please, Mr Canon sir.

Last edited by Wayne Avanson; November 18th, 2013 at 05:05 AM. Reason: typo
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 01:57 PM   #36

Dan Chung at Newsshooter has posted a test video of the C100 with the Dual Pixel CMOS AF Upgrade:

https://vimeo.com/groups/canonc100/videos/79361465
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Bob, thanks for the reply. That all makes perfect sense, of course. But I am sure I saw a table of "supported lenses" somewhere in the last day or so and there were no EF-S lenses on the list (and a few EF lenses missing too).

Now, I sure wish I could find that web link that I had stumbled upon to check if it was a legit source!
Found Canon's list of lenses that are compatible with dual-pixel CMOS AF. Of course, these are only Canon brand lenses but so far it seems most third party lenses work except some Tamrons.

Canon U.S.A. : Dual Pixel CMOS AF

Bob
Old November 19th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Excellent! Thanks. It's not the list I originally saw when this news broke ...it's a better list... as (of course) there are EF-S lenses on this linked one :-)
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:28 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Where has the cost ($500) been published for this upgrade? I didn't notice it on the Canon website.

How long would Canon have my C100 for this upgrade? I've neve used Canon services before.

Thanks,
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #40

The $500 upgrade cost is mentioned here:
Canon USA will perform this feature upgrade at a cost of $500, and will require that EOS C100 cameras be sent to an accredited Canon service center. Shipping and handling charges also may apply. Additional details will be provided when the upgrade becomes available.

Canon is pretty quick with the firmware upgrades. I'd say 1-2 days in service.

I'm hearing the this particular upgrade will be directly through Canon and will not be available through dealers.
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:44 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Great, I'll save the original box and packaging to to ship it in.

Thanks
Kevin O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:45 PM   #42

when you send in the camera, only send in the body without the grip or any accessories.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:13 AM   #43
Major Player

Terry, I leased the C100 from you (and Canon actually). Can I still get the upgrade? Do I pay for it? Do I need to get Canon's permission? Is there a question I'm not asking that needs to be answered on this issue of a lease upgrade?

(by the way, I'm totally in love with the camera, and have found my 5D mkiii languishing. The C100 is outstanding).
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #44

Hi Al,

Always happy to hear from customers that love the gear we've sold them. Makes my job a lot more fun.

Regarding the C100 upgrade, yes you'll need to pay Canon directly to perform the upgrade.

I don't think you need permission to upgrade a leased camera, but I will ask Canon Financial Services this morning for a formal response.
Terry Nixon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems