C300 - Intermittent Loss of Iris Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 22nd, 2013, 04:54 PM   #1
New Boot

C300 - Intermittent Loss of Iris Control

I've been shooting on my C300 for a year now with only one problem that's happened twice to me. For some unknown reason I've lost iris control while filming on my workhorse lens of 17-55 2.8f. All other functions continue to to work but it becomes impossible to adjust exposure.

Restarting and reattaching the same lens seems to solve this problem but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this or has any idea what the problem might be?

In both case the problem has been quickly and easily remedied but I'm wondering if this is a bigger issue that needs to be checked with Canon before my warranty expires.

Any ideas?
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C300 - Intermittent Loss of Iris Control

It's happened to me on the C100 maybe 3 or 4 times. Needed to restart.

It happened on various lenses. Not just 1.
Old January 1st, 2014, 10:52 AM   #3
Trustee

This might explain what happened to me on a shoot in early December with a C300. I couldn't adjust the iris on the shoot early in the day and then it started working later in the day on the same lens. It was a rental camera and lens and I thought it might be a user error or a software glitch. Never came up with a specific reason.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Telecam Films

Are you using the dial on the grip handle to control iris? If yes, make sure the mini plug from the handle cable if fully pushed in the C300. You really have to push it in and feel a bit of click, it's a safety feature to keep the connector in place....
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2014, 09:29 PM   #5
Major Player

But mine is happening on the C100 -- are you saying the same might apply? (Isn't the grip a different connection on the C300?)

At any rate, this has happened to me 3 or so times on the C100 where the F-stop suddenly reads "F--" instead of F1.8 for example.
Old January 22nd, 2014, 02:30 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks Thierry but my problem with the loss of iris control occurred with both control wheels - the control dial on the grip and the control wheel on the camera body. Any other ideas as to what the problem is?
Matt Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:26 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Tim,
I had that happen to me once when I first received the c100 and used a sigma 120-300 lens. My Canon lenses worked fine. Recently I tried the Sigma lens again and it is fine. Sometimes I think dirty contacts cause this. The same using a 5D MarkIII or other Canon bodies. Had that happen sometimes when shooting stills.
I just removed the lens, wiped the contacts with a soft lens cleaning cloth and put it back on the body and it worked fine.

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa
Jerry Mennenga is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems