C100: Be happy! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 20th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #46
Trustee

Re: C100: Be happy!

Nice one Matt.

The two things that bug me most are the PSF issue (surely everyone hates this - right?) and the fact I can only punch in to 2x. My eyes are getting older and I'd love to go to 5x and 10x like I can on the DSLRs (which I hate using now).

Of course, Canon's next models should have 50p/60p as well as fixing the PSF. Please, pretty please Canon.

I just shot some stuff about a guy running marathons and I really could have done with 60p in order to get 'better' progressive slo-mo. Oh well.
Old April 20th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Glad to see others understand the great benefit of critical reviews for both other readers and for manufacturers to improve products.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:14 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
I fear Canon think we love the C100/C300 so much. No, we like it, but it does need fixing before Canon moves on. Canon should know this, I hope we can remind them.
Nicely put Matt. I also fear this and that they don't listen to users anyway.

I'm not sure we'll see many more improvements in terms of firmware for the C100 at this stage. I hope I'm wrong.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
The two things that bug me most are the PSF issue (surely everyone hates this - right?)
It doesn't bother me terribly as a shooter, but I am seeing *a lot* of C100 footage recently that has been deinterlaced and not had it's pulldown removed like it should have been, and thus looks extremely soft. This leads to a lot of negative opinion about the C100's image quality (which should look closer to the level of detail found in 1080p sourced from 4-5K Red footage...if you're not seeing that, then you're not doing it right). When I deliver to clients, I am either shooting with the 24p option (native 24p in AVCHD), or 30p and using ClipWrap on the files to automatically add the pulldown flags like are supposed to be there, or using the Atomos NInja-2/Blade and having it record 24p/30p native with the pulldown already applied.

Quote:
Of course, Canon's next models should have 50p/60p as well as fixing the PSF.
You won't get 1080p60 from any in the current lineup (save for the C500 which has the option to bypass the Digic DV III processor), but there is no reason why Canon can't give us 720p60 in the C100. I think at this point it's not going to really cannibalize any sales of the C300 and would only make C100 owners *very* happy. It's not going to be substantially better looking than deinterlacing 60i for the slowmo, but it does make post easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Curran View Post
I'm not sure we'll see many more improvements in terms of firmware for the C100 at this stage. I hope I'm wrong.
I think we have one more C100 firmware update left before Canon fully switches over to C200 development (which I expect will be out in about a year and a half). Hopefully they will make all native 24p, 25p, 30p framerates, add 720p60, and let you move the Dual Pixel AF targeting box. I don't expect a dual audio record from a single channel option, mostly because that's probably something they will (hopefully) do in the next iteration, and none of their previous XF camera series (new 205 notwithstanding) does it either.

Last edited by Gary Huff; April 20th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2014, 08:08 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Davis View Post
C100 users and potential owners need to petition Canon so that they fix the faults in the C100 before they go off and make a new one. When they make a new one, they shouldn't assume they did well on the first one.
As much as i would like to hope that they would listen, It's hard to see canon as listening to anyone but their own analysis and data. I mean, the 'big' firmware update that we got that did add the very needed movable focus assist, also included the 80,000iso option. my first thought was: "who the heck was asking them for better iso than it already has?"

As always as consumers, it's the safest bet to say that our requests to camera-makers isn't very likely to get taken into consideration because they are of course businesses, and they quite reasonably are catering to the hundreds if not thousands or hundreds of thousands of buyers/users of any particular camera/line of cameras, so a few dozen folks submitting feature requests/etc... aren't likely to have a big impact on them.

It took the ridiculous success of the 5D2 to lead to the development of C series (my opinion, debatable fact)
and whatever they're working on now im sure is taking into consideration a metric ton of research and data which maybe, just maybe, includes a tiny fraction of what they hear from folks like us.

As always, buy a camera for what it is, not what you want it to be, and you'll be as this thread title suggests. I'm with Matt; post NAB i've yet to see something that i'd like to replace my C100 with.
Old April 21st, 2014, 03:49 PM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I think we have one more C100 firmware update left before Canon fully switches over to C200 development (which I expect will be out in about a year and a half). Hopefully they will make all native 24p, 25p, 30p framerates, add 720p60, and let you move the Dual Pixel AF targeting box. I don't expect a dual audio record from a single channel option, mostly because that's probably something they will (hopefully) do in the next iteration, and none of their previous XF camera series (new 205 notwithstanding) does it either.
Native frame rates would be good.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems