I still see people asking if the C100 is worth the upgrade... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 02:27 AM   #1
New Boot

I still see people asking if the C100 is worth the upgrade...

Recent documentary I did. C100, Duclos Carl Zeiss ZF.2s, Rode NTG3 mic.

This camera has been motivating me to keep filming!
James Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:01 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: I still see people asking if the C100 is worth the upgrade...

Quote:
This camera has been motivating me to keep filming!
So you are saying that with any other camera you would become demotivated? :)
I saw some great stuff on your vimeo page, trust me, it's not the camera that makes the difference here.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Is the blue cast on her face in the sit down intentional or something the camera did that couldn't be corrected?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Is the blue cast on her face in the sit down intentional or something the camera did that couldn't be corrected?
I'm surprised you missed the background, where you can tell she is nearly surrounded by artwork, and it is heavily blue, thus the light hitting that artwork is bouncing back to her face. There is also a big blue wall that she is painting, which may have been off-camera as well.

The only way around that is to flag off the bounce from the surrounding artwork and supplement it with fill.

Any camera will look like this given those circumstances.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
trust me, it's not the camera that makes the difference here.
+1

But a nod to James - there is a joy to using a well crafted tool. The difference a sable brush or rotring pen makes may not be visible or attributable to the final image, but will definitely affect the mood and the operation of the person who wields it.

All the chippies I know use Makitas - and there's absolutely no point discussing the ups and downs of De Walts or Black & Deckers. It's just a tool that does things the right way for the right cost. It could be better, it could be cheaper. Shrugs of shoulders and conversation then drifts towards who's buying the next round of beer.

There was a disturbing survey somewhere that claimed muscians couldn't tell the difference between a Stradivarius and a good modern violin in a blind survey. A UK paper had an interesting test:
Stradivarius? You'd be better off with a modern violin - Telegraph

Quite frankly, it's not a hard test. LOL - quality does show.

It is extremely satisfying to get the result you wanted. It's intensely frustrating to be thwarted in your quest by recalcitrant kit that just can't work at the level you want to. I've shot with a Sony P800 and found it so effortless to get rich deep textured images, and realised why I sweated blood with the FS100. I think even Banksy has a preferred brand of spray paint.

Wish I could go out and shoot today, but now my render is done. Sigh.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
I'm surprised you missed the background, where you can tell she is nearly surrounded by artwork, and it is heavily blue, thus the light hitting that artwork is bouncing back to her face. There is also a big blue wall that she is painting, which may have been off-camera as well.

The only way around that is to flag off the bounce from the surrounding artwork and supplement it with fill.

Any camera will look like this given those circumstances.
So you are saying it was intentional but unless you were at the shoot, I'll wait till the OP answers. Also, there's only one perspective and the paintings are behind her. Unless you were there, you are assuming it's reflection from more paintings on both sides. Then there's WB and color profile effects....She has blue eye shade in other scenes and it looks like a blue shimmer in her hair in another (outdoors). It is an interesting effect and the use of blue throughout is a sub-theme I think is cool.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 10:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Great piece James! Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed watching. Amazing quality.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 12:25 PM   #8
Major Player

Very nice, great result with the C100. I like paintings, thanks for this inspiration.
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:40 AM   #9
Major Player

The C100 is an absolute Joy to use. As someone who went VX2100, FX1, DSLR and now C100 its good to get the old peaking and zebras back. Live scopes is a real help and the ergonomics are amazing.

The image it produces is just incredible. Same great DSLR look but with so much more lattiude and the ability to pull back blow out highlights in post. something ive never been able to do.

Sure, there are other cams out there but if your looking to stay in the Canon lens ecosystem then the C100 is a worthwhile upgrade.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #10
New Boot

Thanks to the guys who appreciated the work. About the blue cast, my light wasnt strong enough to light her up, this was even a warm gel with it, i was just using a ringky dingk LED light on her shoulder and as a key light. Hard to see this sometimes when your using flat which is the C-Log. When I started color grading, thats when the blue started to come out around her. It was a very quick edit too, simple stitch, color grade and render. I'll try my best next time but thanks for the feedback.

All I am saying is since i got my C100, i've been excited to film something. Like having a brand new RC and you want to take it out and play with it all the time. I own a 5D Mark III and 60D for weddings and thats just stuck with that. Knowing the C100 has Peaking, Zebra, Waveforms and other features needed for filmmaking, its fun having these tools in when you're in the field.
Old April 27th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense and I like the real world use of C100 footage. Been there with weak LED lights. I've also dealt with certain colors showing up way stronger in the footage vs the naked eye ... blue in particular. If it wasn't clear, I liked the piece and whether intentional or not, the "Makita blue" theme throughout was delightful.
Old April 29th, 2014, 01:30 AM   #12
Major Player

I think the blue cast goes well with the story, I would have kept it even if it was possible to remove it. Her art/passion surrounds her, it's part of her, the reflection emphasises her artistry being an extension of her. Your work inspires me James.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Davis View Post
Thanks to the guys who appreciated the work. About the blue cast, my light wasnt strong enough to light her up, this was even a warm gel with it, i was just using a ringky dingk LED light on her shoulder and as a key light. Hard to see this sometimes when your using flat which is the C-Log. When I started color grading, thats when the blue started to come out around her. It was a very quick edit too, simple stitch, color grade and render. I'll try my best next time but thanks for the feedback.
Interesting, I never would have guessed the LED light as being the culprit. Were you shooting internally or did you use a Ninja?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #14
New Boot

Internally. With my style of run and gun shooting, it feels like the ninja is a hassle sometimes. Sometimes it freezes on me even with the latest firmware.

My setup was one light on her right, behind her and one on her left as a key light. The light on the paintings is ambient light coming from the window. I am still learning a lot about lighting and I wish I can afford those Arri kits. I am just working with what I have right now.

Thank you all and I appreciate all the comments.
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:18 PM   #15
DVi Contributor

Nice work. Look at the Fiilex 360 lighting fixture. if you can. much more advanced then the arri light kit. and would serve you well with this camera
Craig Chartier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems