PF24 to 24P work around, C100 & FCP X at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old June 11th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Major Player

PF24 to 24P work around, C100 & FCP X

So for my first test shoot with my new C100 I, for reasons I still cannot comprehend, used PF24 for the framerate with a 59.94 system set.

That's just the dumbest thing you could do, for most situations (I mean all situations). It's supposedly still 23.967 fps, but it's recorded at 60i. For your convenience. Maybe even for your safety.

So after shooting 24 (23.xxx) for the past 4 years, seeing 29.97 in the media specs was disheartening (?), shocking (?), confusing (?)...I mean not what I wanted to see. So, Gary says remove the pulldown but never deinterlace it - and that only after repenting from ever using PF24. Done.

I think I found a fabulous (I mean quick and dirty) way to deal with those poor PF24 clips for FCP X users. Since the "timeline" (I mean project) will conform itself to the first piece of video you drop in, you theoretically only need one of your PF24 clips converted to 1080p, 24. Once you do that, the project (I mean timeline) is set to the proper 23.xxx and whatever clips you drop in there will be conformed on the fly. I tried it - it seems to work. Yes, it will be rendered at some point, but if you're like me, only on output. Since using FCP X I find that I rarely actually render anything in the timeline (I mean project).

This, should you not prove me incorrect, would mean you don't need to duplicate/convert the media manually, but rather just let FCP X do all the work for you, and even that only really when you finally output.

I converted the one clip using Media Encoder CC and just used it to set the specs for the project. Yeah, you can trigger set up for the project manually by dropping in a piece of audio, but I wanted to start with a real clip really converted first.

This may be old news - sorry if it is. It's all new to me!

PFJeff (I mean Jeff)
Old June 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PF24 to 24P work around, C100 & FCP X

When you do this, all FCPX does is deinterlace the material, it doesn't remove the pulldown. Thus, you have deinterlaced 29.97 that has half the resolved detail as the original 24p footage.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
When you do this, all FCPX does is deinterlace the material, it doesn't remove the pulldown. Thus, you have deinterlaced 29.97 that has half the resolved detail as the original 24p footage.
Technically I don't actually know, but it's interesting that the actual conversion sucks more than the on the fly conversion. And that may be b/c of the settings. Here's a screenshot where you can see that each one is just a little bit different. Left to right are Media Encoder CC conversion, FCP on the fly conform to converted clips settings (1080p, 23.97) and finally the original clip dropped into FCP at 1080i, 29.97.

The ball does seem to have something say, doesn't it? Sure looks like half a frame to me. Well, I did say quick. And dirty...
Attached Thumbnails
PF24 to 24P work around, C100 & FCP X-fly2.png  
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

That's because Media Encoder also does not remove 3:2 pulldown. Anything that you use that just renders out 24p from what you give it, without giving you explicit options about the pulldown, is simply doing a deinterlace and throwing out frames.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:43 PM   #5
Major Player

Makes sense. I wondered. What do you use?
Old June 11th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Load it into After Effects, right-click on the video, select "Interpret Footage" then "Main", and then "Guess 3:2 pulldown". Then create a composition for the clip and render out to the format of choice.

Repeat for each clip.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems