Matching c100 with Sony fs100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 5th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #1
Trustee

Matching c100 with Sony fs100

Sorry about cross posting, but wanted to try both sony and canon forums.
I mainly shoot with a Sony fs100, but have a shoot next week where the client wants to also use a c100.
Anyone have any matching presets?
Thanks
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:48 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Matching c100 with Sony fs100

Briefly (whilst a progress bar marches across my screen)...

I'm an ex FS100 owner, who switched to C100. I spent a lot (!) of time futzing around in Picture Profiles to help the FS100 deal with highlights, but ended up with a fairly lowly setup that worked 'most of the time' - known as 'Matts Safe' in my FS100 PP cheat sheet: http://www.bit.ly/fs100pp - all the usual rules apply regarding the 'parking of blacks'.

Over on the C100 front, WDR - Wide Dynamic Range - is its equivalent, or rather 'how I'd like to see Matts Safe look'. It's not super flat, but it will generate nice pictures in all but the most extreme of situations. Not so good for 'city in the sun after rain', but can cope with an overcast sky, and has enough pep for lit situations too. NOTE WELL: the default WDR includes a smidgin of sharpening. This is fine for most Run and Gun scenarios, but you may want to make a version without sharpening and add it in post - obligatory for chromakey.

The issues you will run into include detail and general noise. The FS100 has less noise than the C100, but it also has less detail. The C100 shoots 4K and downsamples to HD, giving its images an impressive bite on the detail front. The FS700 does a similar trick too. The FS100 does not, and so will look slightly soft in comparison. I'd put the FS100 on wide duties, letting the C100 do the hero shots.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought I detected a slight greenish tinge to FS100 - not enough to start mucking around with the Matrix ('there be dragons') as it could be easily tweaked out with a 3 way in your edit software if folks could tell. The C100 has an LCD that is distinctly cold, and should not be used to judge colour if you're comparing the C100 and FS100. Please use a known and trusted external monitor, the same one for both (plug and unplug).

I don't think you're ever going to get the sort of 'lets vision mix live!' matching between the cameras, but the 'Matts Safe' and 'WDR' profiles are what worked for me.
Old July 15th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Re: Matching c100 with Sony fs100

Thanks for the reply, Matt. My shoot got cancelled, but I'm going to save your info for the future.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems