C100 LCD monitor usability at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 3rd, 2014, 05:49 PM   #1
Major Player

C100 LCD monitor usability

Hi all,

I've been looking at purchasing a C100 for quite a while now, but for one reason or another finances have never allowed it. Fortunately now they do, so I'm back in the market for one.

The one thing that puts me off the C100 is the frequent complaints about the flip-out LCD monitor. I'm hoping to get some info on how good/bad it actually is to use? I'm accustomed to the fantastic loupe that came with my Sony NEX-EA50, so I'm wondering if there is a similar after-market attachment for the C100? Or any other solutions that make it easier to work with?

Any info appreciated.
Cheers
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 LCD monitor usability

It's not very good in sunlight as the reflections are brutal. In normal conditions it's fine for me although it has limited movement. The C-cup helps the viewfinder become a useful tool in bright sunlight.
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

well...

-it has a silly hinge that doesn't allow nearly as much freedom as typical swivel hinges
-it's really not good in daylight (brightness boost helps a little)
-myself and some others have experienced a flicker, which is not recorded, but disconcerting to see
-it's not truly accurate, but sufficient for many.
-resolution is plenty fine
-two times punch in helps pick up the slack
-a loupe helps a lot
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. I'm particularly interested in how much the loupe improves things? It's definitely something I'd look at buying when I get my C100.
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:12 AM   #5
Major Player

I think a question should be what are you shooting on now?

We were shooting DSLR so going to the C100, even with all its bad points was still an improvement.

The screen can be had to see in sunlight but I then use the viewfinder. We also have assigned button 3 to turn the backlight up to high to help.

The screen flickering seems to be down to an auto brightness thing. In bright light you can see where the brightness sensor is on the screen. Its annoying though that there is no option to disable or set this like you can on the DSLR. So one minute you think you have the brightness set and the screen adjusts and your muscle memory is off again.

So far we have got on fine without a loupe and had some harsh outdoors ceremonies. We have had to use zebras and waveform to help get exposure on point.
Old August 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM   #6
Major Player

Its no worse than the LCD on my GH4 on a bright day. For focusing I find that peaking works well enough so screen sharpness isn't an issue for me. I use the Petrol Deca Mini Hood and its a workable solution when outside, however, a loupe would be a lot better. The C-Cup makes the EVF more useful also.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2014, 05:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
I think a question should be what are you shooting on now?

We were shooting DSLR so going to the C100, even with all its bad points was still an improvement.
I'm shooting on a Sony NEX-EA50 currently (which I'll be using along side the C100). It has a very good LCD display and loupe. So I realise that the C100 isn't going to be as good. But as long as it's usable then I'll be happy.

Thanks for the info :)
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #8
Major Player

Its certainly usable and the peaking, levels and everything else aid you in getting spot on exposure and focus.

Things would be easier with a better viewfinder or a hood or loupe but we like to keep our rigs small i.e no top handle either so are willing to make our life a little harder just to keep things simple.
Old August 7th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #9
Major Player

The Zacuto C100 Z-Finder seems to be the best and most popular......
C100 Z-Finder Pro | Zacuto USA

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2014, 05:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks all. Very excited, purchased my C100 today. Expecting delivery in a few days :)
Old August 10th, 2014, 02:43 AM   #11
Major Player

Don't forget the batteries. A large capacity official canon battery lasts all day for us with the included little one as a backup.

I know some who bought 3rd party batts and get half of what we do.
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #12
Regular Crew

The LCD is usable indoors, below average outdoors. I've used the C100 Z Finder and found it was too clunky. I recommend you get a C Cup or buy a monitor.
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Trustee

I'll probably get shot down in flames for flying this idea, but... I've really appreciated my Ninja Blade.

I have a SmallHD AC7 monitor that was 'essential' when I was doing any form of lighting, and I still take it out on all shoots, but what sits in the same case is my Atomos Ninja Blade with its bits and bobs, a Noga articulated arm and the Edelkrone EVF mount.

The Ninja Blade has become my 'LCD Monitor' unless I really have to work in ultra-light Run and Gun. Oh yes, and it's a great recorder too - but quite frankly it's in the case, it's in the bag, it's primarily used as... a monitor. The LCD panel is used as a focus check in magnify mode.

I really hope that Canon, at the next iteration, take the C300/C100 strengths and combine them with a stronger codec and ditch the poor C100 EVF and LCD panel. A C100 with Ninja and extra mounting hardware is a lot cheaper than the C300, and in my business model has extra benefits. However, it shouldn't be that way. The EVF and LCD do seem (with the choice of recording format) to be a sort of 'crippling' device by Canon's marketing department to create separation between the C100 and C300.
Old August 15th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Major Player

I just received my XF200. The new EVF viewfinder (now 0.45 inch) is a big improvement, and it comes with a large eyecup as well. Very usable outdoors.

The C100 EVF is 0.24 inch. Perhaps there is some chance above zero that the replacement to the C100 will also have a larger, improved EVF, which could be used outdoors in lieu of a Zacuto finder on the LCD screen.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems