Best b-camera for C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 30th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Major Player

Best b-camera for C100

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a C100, and I'm looking for an inexpensive b-camera (possibly a Canon DSLR) to use for interviews.

So I'm just wondering what cameras people use, and what best matches the C100 without the need for heavy colour correction. I've heard that the Canon 70D can work well, but other ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Best b-camera for C100

I am very happy with my GH4 as a B-camera, especially as it looks very similar in resolved detail when shooting in 4K and downrezzing to 1080 in post. The colors are different, but you can get pretty close to them and I routinely use the GH4 in two-camera shoots with the C100.

Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 01:59 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Gary.

I'd prefer something with an EF mount if possible, I have Canon lenses so it keeps things simple.

At the moment I'm tossing up between the 700D and 70D, but I'm open to other suggestions.
Old August 31st, 2014, 02:48 AM   #4
Inner Circle

From what I understood you can have a ef to mft adapter now with full communication between body and lens if you would choose to go the panasonic route: Metabones®
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:54 AM   #5
Trustee

Jody, this is not aimed at you but it always amazes me how many people spend quite a bit of money on a good camera, then want a cheap camera to go with it that looks just as good. Why then didn't they just buy such a cheap camera int he first place, in fact buy two ;)

I have a C100 & GH4. I use an EF to M43 adapter on the GH4 so I can also use my Canon glass there too.

But be warned, the lure of 4K is dangerous. Now I have the GH4 my C100 isn't getting half as much use because I shot the last 4 interviews with only the GH4 (reasonably wide) then zoom in post. Now I don't need two cameras, I only need one. Hmmm.....
Old August 31st, 2014, 05:20 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Partington View Post
Jody, this is not aimed at you but it always amazes me how many people spend quite a bit of money on a good camera, then want a cheap camera to go with it that looks just as good. Why then didn't they just buy such a cheap camera int he first place, in fact buy two ;)

I have a C100 & GH4. I use an EF to M43 adapter on the GH4 so I can also use my Canon glass there too.

But be warned, the lure of 4K is dangerous. Now I have the GH4 my C100 isn't getting half as much use because I shot the last 4 interviews with only the GH4 (reasonably wide) then zoom in post. Now I don't need two cameras, I only need one. Hmmm.....
Dave, I see what you're saying, but unfortunately I just don't have the budget to buy a 2nd C100, or anything quite as expensive.

I don't do a lot of multi-cam work, so it really isn't worthwhile spending a lot of money on a b-cam at this point. The b-cam would just be for the occasional interview.

In saying that, I think I should be able to get something decent for around $1200-1500 US, maybe? The GH4 is indeed tempting, but maybe a little out of the price range, especially when the adapter is also required.
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It sounds like your budget is going to limit you to a Canon body, so I would suggest the 70D. You'll need to play with the settings to get an appreciable match to the C100, and the footage will be decidedly softer than the C100, but with some judicious application of post sharpening and doing some tests, I think you could get it to where only the people who use this day in and out can see it (I can easily spot the DSLR footage over the C-series footage).
Old August 31st, 2014, 07:49 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Using C100 for weddings, second cameraman uses 70d and I have 5diii on slider for specialty shots, in post I correct the SLR to match the C100, it's not the same, in some instances (low light church vs. outdoor sunny ceremony) you can see a larger difference than others.

Ideally you would like to have another C100 to correctly match the two main cameras but if budget is an issue the 70d and even 7d is suitable with some extra time in post.
Stefan Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2014, 10:51 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Arnott View Post
The GH4 is indeed tempting, but maybe a little out of the price range, especially when the adapter is also required.
The adapter is use is a passive one and cost me about $12 from ebay. Works a treat.

If you choose to go with a Canon DSLR as a B-Cam then the easiest way to make them match is to add a slight blur to the C100 footage. I'm serious, not kidding!
Old August 31st, 2014, 08:02 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
The adapter is use is a passive one and cost me about $12 from ebay. Works a treat.

If you choose to go with a Canon DSLR as a B-Cam then the easiest way to make them match is to add a slight blur to the C100 footage. I'm serious, not kidding!
Thanks Dave. How do the passive adapters work in terms of adjusting the iris?
Old August 31st, 2014, 08:56 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Passive adapters do not control iris.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
They don't, but then I mostly use them with Samyang primes (which have built in aperture / iris control) or I am shooting wide open for a reason.

I will pick up a metabones adapter when the next batch becomes available as well as some more native mft lenses.
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:37 AM   #13
Trustee

The main feature of the 70D was the video auto focus. So far, the only lens we've had that did it smoothly and quietly is the kit STM 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, though I haven't had access to any L series lenses to test with it.

There is no magic lantern development for it, either, limiting some of the other cool things you can do with a DSLR. It's also a little annoying that it's 3 buttons to get to the Kelvin adjustment for white balance.

I think I'd favor a gently used 5d Mark ii, maybe, if no flip out screen isn't an issue. About the same price, full frame, and stable magic lantern.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:

What he said. The Gh4 is getting a lot more use here. I now have a £4000 C100 sound recorder. Lol
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Jody
I use a Tiffen VariND to control light with my EF lenses on my Gh4. Like Dave I have a passive EF to M43 adaptor.

The just released Metabones Speedbooster active EF to m43 adaptor will provide iris adjustment for EF lenses.

I shoot a lot of 2 camera interviews with the C100 and the GH4 and with some tweaking to the Gh4 settings I have managed to get them very close in terms of skin tones etc.
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems