Canon C100 - Delivering 25p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM   #1
Tourist

Canon C100 - Delivering 25p

I am considering buying a Canon C100 because it meets many of my needs for doing documentary-style work. I am currently working on a project that I must deliver as:

PAL 1920x1080 25p (yes, progressive)

The C100 records something called PF25. Was told this means that "25 pictures are flagged in a 50i timeline" and was wondering

1. What does this means?
2. What I need to do to the footage to deliver as specified above?
3. Would said solution have an impact on the quality of my footage?
4. Should I use the Ninja 2 recorder? Ninja Blade? Does it matter?

Is this a recommendable method: Canon C100 PsF – the fix | Travelling Matt

I will be editing in Premier or FCP7.

Your input would be most appreciated, especially if you have done this work flow before.
Erika OConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon C100 - Delivering 25p

To get around this issue, I just tell my NLE that the footage is progressive. I use Avid, so can't tell you exactly how that would work in FCP.

I shoot and deliver in 1080 25P and haven't had any issues or seen any negative impact on the quality.
Jody Arnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks for your response Jody!

Anyone out there ever shot PF25, recorded on Ninja 2, edited in Premier or FCP7 and successfully delivered 25p?

If so, what's the workflow?

I see this example of a workflow if recording internally (w/out the Ninja) in AVCHD and editing in Premier - http://provideocoalition.com/atepper...e_pro_cs5.5.x/

It sounds like if I record to the Ninja-2, it will do a 2:2 pulldown and record a 25p signal. http://atomos.helponclick.com/kb/art...25p-30p-etc/g5

Would my NLE then seamlessly interpret it as progressive?

Last edited by Erika OConor; November 4th, 2014 at 11:23 PM.
Erika OConor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #4
Trustee

I shoot with the C100 in PF25 and edit in FCPX, but also from time to time in Premiere. I also have a Ninja 2.

--- FCPX ---
So, when importing the AVCHD in to FCPX you need to select all the clips in the event browser then go to the inspector --> Info panel and then select Field Override and set to progressive.

If you convert the AVCHD with something like ClipWrap there's no need to do it because Clipwrap takes care of it for you.

When shooting to a Ninja to ProRes it comes in as progressive and there's nothing to do.

--- Premiere Pro ---
Premiere Pro is similar, but you need to select all the clips then right click and choose Modify --> Interpret Footage --> Progressive.

--- FCP 7 ---
Sorry I've now deleted FCP7 but I'm pretty sure there was a very similar method.

If in doubt, re-wrap in something like ClipWrap or record to the Ninja and use ProRes. If you're going to be editing in FCP7 you'll probably end up wanting ProRes anyway.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems