Saying goodbye to my ENG camera and hello to the C100. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Saying goodbye to my ENG camera and hello to the C100.

I have an adapter that lets me use my Mamiya 645 glass on the C100. Great lenses and dirt cheap these days at KEH or the auction site. No zoom and fully manual, but that's not a killer. I can also use my old Nikon glass that I bought almost 50 years ago.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:23 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Silverman View Post
I own two C100s and they've been an absolutely amazing to use for weddings and corporate videos. .
Hi Michael
What lense or lenses would you use the most for weddings, and which one is used for what?

thanks
Mervyn Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 02:09 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Re low light etc, we had a small fire caused by lightning in the mountains above our house tonight.

This was "filmed" with the C-100 and a 300 mm Mamiya lens at f 5.6 and 20k ISO, then added a 2x Teleconverter. I was pretty impressed that the smoke showed up as well as it did and the relative lack of noise.

https://vimeo.com/user3683667/review...912/a7c72a66ef

I'd guess the flames were about 2 miles from the house. Camera was on a pretty light tripod and it was a bit windy which shows up in the part of the clip using the 600mm equivalent lens.

I really like this camera.
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
The Blackmagic Video Assist is a worthless add-on for the C100. It outputs 60i over HDMI with 2:2 pulldown for 30p and 3:2 pulldown for 24p. The Video Assist will not remove that pulldown so everything you record with it will be 60i and you'll be required to remove it yourself. For 24p, as mentioned previously, that requires either After Effects or Compressor to do.

The Atomos products will all automagically remove the pulldown for you with little fuss.
My immediate use of the C100 after purchasing will be using it in place of my HM700 for shooting short web videos. For this purpose, the internally recorded files are fine, so I do not expect that I will be needing an external recording solution for a little while.

However, is it truly impossible to remove the pulldown in Premier? I know with DVX100 24PF footage I can right click on the clip in my bin, select modify > interpret footage > and check to remove 24p DV pulldown. It seems odd that I can do this in Premier for SD video, but not for HD.

Unrelated to the external recording issue, I'm still a bit concerned about this Camera's ergonomics. Yes, I've read lots of great things from users, but these users all seem to be coming from the DSLR world. Coming from the ENG camera world, I'm used to carefully planned controls designed to be accessible while shooting video. The things people seem to rave about when it comes to the C100 are all things that would be unthinkable for me not to have in a video camera. I have no doubt that the camera is fantastic to shoot with when moving up from a DSLR, but I'm concerned what it will be like coming from an ENG camera.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:09 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Grunseth View Post
However, is it truly impossible to remove the pulldown in Premier? I know with DVX100 24PF footage I can right click on the clip in my bin, select modify > interpret footage > and check to remove 24p DV pulldown. It seems odd that I can do this in Premier for SD video, but not for HD.
That's because you're incorrect. You're not talking about DVX100 24PF footage. You're talking about DVX100 24PA footage. That was an advanced pulldown that was never meant to be intercut with normal 60i material like 24PF is. That was true 24p in a very clear pulldown method that was needed because DV tape could only record in 60i.

If you shot DVX100 24P footage instead of 24PA, you would need to use Cinema Tools to remove it (or After Effects).

Quote:
I have no doubt that the camera is fantastic to shoot with when moving up from a DSLR, but I'm concerned what it will be like coming from an ENG camera.
I like the body because it allows me to quickly hang the camera in ways that you really can't do with a traditional ENG style. If you simply want your shots to always be at your face height and from your shoulder, then you'll need to mod it to achieve that.
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 03:23 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervyn Jack View Post
Hi Michael
What lense or lenses would you use the most for weddings, and which one is used for what?

thanks
I always have a second shooter with me, and for most of the day we alternate share my Canon 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.4, and 85mm f/1.8 lenses. During the ceremony we use Canon 70-200mm f/4 on both cameras to get a tight shot of the bride from one side and a tight shot of the groom from the other side (I put a stationary Canon G20 in the center as a wide/safety camera). The reason I use the primes is that I can get a very shallow depth of field and they're very fast. Since I always have a second shooter, if I have my 50mm on my camera during the speech, he'll have the 28mm on his for the reaction shot of the B&G. Then if they go directly into the cake cutting, he'll be wide and I'll get a medium tight shot.

If you're shooting by yourself I'd recommend getting an f/2.8 zoom lens to use for most of the day. However, I've had situations at receptions where even at high ISO like 8000 I've still needed to open up to around f/2.0 because it was so dark in the reception hall. If you use an f/2.8 zoom you may want to put a small LED light on your camera in case you need it (you probably won't most of the time but sometimes the DJ will dim the lights unexpectedly and you'll be glad you have it.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 08:12 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I think the camera is very flexible with regard to how you operate it. But the "shooting position" would probably be more DSLR like in that the camera will be in front of your face instead of off to the side. I think it has most of the buttons you'll need and you can work them by feel. I like the ergonomics.And I didn't come from a DSLR video background.

Have you thought of renting or borrowing one for a day or two? It would be the best way to see if you're comfortable with it.
Old January 26th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Root View Post
One of my second shooters (weddings) is ditching one of his XF300s and upgrading to a C100 (old one) to get more cinematic look.

I may pick one up as well now that they're in a more reasonable price bracket. lol
Hey Kyle,

I'm debating on getting the new EOS C200 EF Cinema Camera and using in conjunction with one of my Canon XF300s. Did it work out for you? I'm thinking weddings and 4k for commercial use. Thoughts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems