Canon EOS C300 Mk. II release -an "unboxing" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old September 26th, 2015, 02:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon EOS C300 Mk. II release -an "unboxing"

I've never really understood the concept of filming an "unboxing" but having come across so many of them when researching various products over the years decided to do one myself with the arrival of the only-just-released-here-in-the-UK C300 Mk. II. Looks like a fantastic camera and can't wait to shoot with it.

Here it is:

Note: It simply documents the opening process and is not meant as any technical walk-thru. Will be posting some sample footage etc soon when I get the chance.
Old September 26th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Canon EOS C300 Mk. II release -an "unboxing"

The cardboard box looks amazing, can you tell us a bit more about it? Is it made out of recycled paper and was it a double or triple wall board?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 11:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Looks like a great camcorder. And congrats on your first unboxing vid !

I find unboxing videos just as useful as reviews to be honest.

Not talking about camcorders specifically, but I wanted to buy a Atmos surround system a few weeks ago but wanted to see the back of the AV receiver to see the inputs it had as I prefer visual aids rather than reading a technical spec sheet. And I found a video of it on youtube. Was very helpful indeed even though it wasn't a review of the actual product.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
I find unboxing videos just as useful as reviews to be honest.
I find the bubble wrapping that comes in the box more useful.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 12:22 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The best thing about unboxing videos is that they help you re-package the product properly if it ever has to be returned or sent back for service. Things often come apart easier than they go back together. :)
Old September 27th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #6
Major Player

Well, it is kind of like a little boy and Christmas and with bragging rights on top! Looks like a lot of fun! Wish I could do the same, but my time will come!
Tim Paynter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 04:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

For those more interested in what the camera can do, rather than the packaging (!) I quickly shot and edited some test footage, using the out-of-the-box settings (which was BT.709).

Hope to shoot some more footage soon.
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Nice, quick video and congrats, you made a very smart choice.......one question, is the cardboard box the camera comes in free range?

Jim Martin
EVSonline.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parkes View Post
For those more interested in what the camera can do, rather than the packaging (!) I quickly shot and edited some test footage, using the out-of-the-box settings (which was BT.709).

https://youtu.be/Wt1jH7Svc2M

Hope to shoot some more footage soon.
Ha! Dan...didn't know you were on here (left a comment on your vimeo page earlier). Congrats on the camera, and thanks for the post. I'm intrigued by your footage...there's been a lot of grumbling on another site about shadow noise with this camera, even at base iso. At Jim's seminar this weekend we did see some, but this is was expected as the camera was in Clog2. Looking at your shots in Bt.709, the shadows look really great, and super quiet. Is that what you're seeing on your end? I'm really digging the 709 stuff from this camera. It seems to have a completely different character from what the C300 produced.

Last edited by Barry Goyette; September 28th, 2015 at 05:56 PM. Reason: punctuation'
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #10
Equal Opportunity Offender

From a look the the unboxing video I'm wondering it the box is in fact made from pure extra-virgin cardboard instead of that inferior recycled stuff. This in turn will give the insides of the box a low-dust environment.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Goyette View Post
Ha! Dan...didn't know you were on here (left a comment on your vimeo page earlier). Congrats on the camera, and thanks for the post. I'm intrigued by your footage...there's been a lot of grumbling on another site about shadow noise with this camera, even at base iso. At Jim's seminar this weekend we did see some, but this is was expected as the camera was in Clog2. Looking at your shots in Bt.709, the shadows look really great, and super quiet. Is that what you're seeing on your end? I'm really digging the 709 stuff from this camera. It seems to have a completely different character from what the C300 produced.
Hi Barry! Thanks for that. During the test shoot with the Lotus I didn't see any, although to be honest it was the first time to shoot with the camera so I was still grappling with unfamiliarity with it and so never felt my settings were quite right. For the colour grade I would normally crush the blacks -but for the purpose of checking it left it ungraded.

As a really good noise test however, I shot the "blood moon" lunar eclipse on Sunday night/Monday morning where I pushed the ISO up to about 5000-6000. There is of course definitely noise there, but it performed better than I thought but I realised my next step is get the Atomos Shogun working as I need a better way of monitoring what's happening in 4K.
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:36 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Many thanks, Dan. Unboxing vids are actually quite beneficial for those folks considering a purchase. It shows them exactly what to expect... what's "in the box," so to speak, that they can verify against your video to make sure they're not shorted some accessory or chief component.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2015, 11:38 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Or you could just look at the c300's product page to see what's in the box:

Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : EOS C300 Mark II
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems