C100 MkI vs Mk II color difference at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old December 1st, 2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C100 MkI vs Mk II color difference

Have you seen any minor or major difference in the colors produced from the Mk. I to the Mk. II .. especially greens and blues ?

Thanks.
Stefan Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: C100 MkI vs Mk II color difference

There is a difference. If you contact Travis Cossel of Black Label Film Studio in Miami, he's done a white balance shift on his C100 Mk I so that the difference is barely noticeable and makes color correction much easier. I don't have his email address but you should be able to Google his contact info and he can send you his settings.
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Could somebody post the settings here for everyone else?
Sergej Semibratov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Here is what Travis said worked for him:

"I just did a real test to match WB between C100i and C100ii using WB shift on the C100i to match the C100ii. You CANNOT do this via the LCD screens as the quality is vastly different and the C100i LCD is totally unreliable for color. Instead I took the time to record segments of footage on both cameras and ingested them into my edit system to compare...I dropped the shift down 3 (toward magenta) and over 1 (toward blue). Hope this helps those of you trying to match your C100's."
Michael Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

That's very interesting and helpful, thanks! I'll try it out.

Though honestly, I've found that when the mk1 and mk 2 are set to the same kelvin and the same stock picture profile, they look pretty close. Not an exact match, but close enough that I don't think any client or viewer would care. Still, I'd like to try this and see if they can get even closer.
Bob Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Folks, I have compared the C100 MK1 to the MK2 -- quick test using the same lens (24-70) at 320ISO, 3200 kelvin and the ESO Standard picture style.

As you can see the original shoots more yellow/green ... thoughts / comments ?
Attached Thumbnails
C100 MkI vs Mk II color difference-c100-1.jpg   C100 MkI vs Mk II color difference-c100-2.jpg  

Stefan Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:43 AM   #7
Trustee

My company was hired to shoot a live concert multi-cam and we ended up with two MKii's and one MKi and I did the editing and post on the finished video. I could not spot any major difference with the MKi camera.

Having said that, the lighting was a mixture of LED colored stage lights, tungsten spot lights (probably something to the effect of source 4's not sure), and there was a large screen projection at the back of the stage which would play videos or sometimes just as special graphics, effects, etc..

We used the CP8 profile and I really liked the overall look I got from the cameras.

These are slightly colored in photoshop for the purposes of posting still images but on the video the original CP8 profile was virtually left untouched:

Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems