Automated Zoom Controls for Canon C100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:14 PM   #1
Tourist

Automated Zoom Controls for Canon C100

I am a newbie here so please bear with me. Just got a Canon C100 for my non-profit. I noticed it doesn't have an automated zoom control like traditional camcorders so you can ease in and out when shooting. Is there any 3rd party accessories or methods that you can add to get this feature? Thanks in advance.
Tim Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Automated Zoom Controls for Canon C100

I have good and bad news for you. First the good, yes Canon sells a servo lens for the c100. Now for the bad... it costs $31,000 . https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...ine_servo.html

The Cinema line is intended for static shots like interviews where there is no zooming. The Sony Fs7 with the kit lens would be a more appropriate choice. On a tight budget you'll need to do without zooming.

Last edited by Pete Cofrancesco; February 23rd, 2017 at 06:51 PM.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

There is also the very new Canon 18-80mm that is getting some good reviews from early users, at a mere $5,200:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...act_servo.html
I think it's only fully compatible with the C100 MkII.
Old February 23rd, 2017, 01:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cannon View Post
I am a newbie here so please bear with me. Just got a Canon C100 for my non-profit. I noticed it doesn't have an automated zoom control like traditional camcorders so you can ease in and out when shooting. Is there any 3rd party accessories or methods that you can add to get this feature? Thanks in advance.
Yes you can buy the very reasonably priced Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens ( about £400 here in the UK ). This has a zoom servo attachment, the Canon PZ1, which attaches underneath and is powered by batteries. Not used it myself bit have seen examples on line and it seems a very smooth zoom. Again not very expensive.

The next step up from this as pointed out by Seth Bloombaum is the Canon 18-80mm.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

isnt there a standalone zoom mechanism you could mount on rails like a follow focus or something, that would work with any lens, with a rocker control that mounts on a tripod arm? there has to be.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2017, 10:51 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It isn't as automated as I would like, but I think the autofocus on my C100 is good enough that I use my manual follow focus to operate the zoom and let the camera take care of the focusing. Works just fine for what I do, Might not work for everybody but I think it's a step up from rotating the zoom ring directly by hand. It gives me reasonably smooth zooms when the camera is on a tripod or monopod, which for me is almost always.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 06:13 AM   #7
Slash Rules!

I did think of that too. havent tried it yet with mine.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Fully agree with Jim, works really well in this configuration. I have had some great results with the follow focus used as a zoom control. The 55-250 STM is much smoother zooming than the 18-135 STM, however works for both (I have a few of each and found the same stickiness on all the 18-135s, but you can live with it).
Old March 9th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Next challenge will be trying the FF as zoom control on my 150-600 Sigma lens (with 2X extender). I've been playing with the lens on my C100 (well, maybe it's a case of having the C100 on the lens rather than the lens on the C100!) and now just have to work out a secure way of putting the rails on the lens's mounting foo..
Old March 9th, 2017, 05:08 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

Many folks get a base plate that mounts on the bottom of the cam that can accommodate rails. Then you leave those on all the time, don't mess with the lens mounting feet at all (take the collar off, even), use a rails-based lens support for the heavier lenses instead. Makes it easier to switch out lenses and you can always mount stuff on the rails no matter what lens.
Old March 10th, 2017, 12:40 AM   #11
Inner Circle

I'd thought about that but was concerned about side to side support for the lens while carrying it. I looked at this one

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...C&A=details&Q=

and it seems to have a provision for securing the lens to the support.
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Inner Circle

FInally settled on this one - it would give me the option of using it either fastened to the bottom of the lens foot or without the foot. Should have it to try next week.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems