Card stopped recording while dual record is on. Why? C100 mk2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 01:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Card stopped recording while dual record is on. Why? C100 mk2

Hi,

Why does the c100mk2 has this thing going on sometimes? Stop recording and says "card stopped recording". Then I switch to media and there is a question mark on the files. What is the meaning of that, is the card needs to be replaced or something wrong with the body?

Help.
Arthur Abramov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Card stopped recording while dual record is on. Why? C100 mk2

Why have you not tried a new card to see what happens?
Gary Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:41 AM   #3
Regular Crew

i used a my friend's card. might be that something was wrong with his card that jammed the system? The camera stopped recording on both cards. very peculiar.. I should contact Canon service for that.
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Your friends cards could be too slow write speeds for the camera and just can't handle the data. You really ought to have your own cards to go with your own camera and they should be able to handle the data transfer speeds shown in the manual.

I wouldn't bother contacting Canon service until you have tried cards that you know are suitable.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 05:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Roger, the card was identical to mine it was Sandisk 95mb.

The only reason it would stop recording, is a failure of the card or the body. I need to know which of these were the reason for that.

Last edited by Arthur Abramov; April 4th, 2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: add
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post

The only reason it would stop recording, is a failure of the card or the body. I need to know which of these were the reason for that.
It makes a big difference what data rate you are recording at, do you know what that is for the setting you are using? You also need to check the write rate of the SD cards as they often have the maximum read rate in print on the front, and the write rate could be much lower, in this case possibly in the region of 30mbs, manufacturers aren't always clear on the actual speeds. I use Sandisk as they are reliable, but different grades of their cards give widely varying write speeds, as do other manufacturers.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 09:07 AM   #7
Inner Circle

And, there are many counterfeit cards available on the big auction site and from other sources. Unfortunately, if your friend didn't buy from a known-reliable retailer you really have to do read/write tests.

Good cards are so inexpensive these days, it is really *not* worth trying to save $2 or $12 to get them even cheaper.

And, did you format the card(s) in the camera?

I agree with other contributors. Cards are the first, and perhaps only suspect with issues like this.
Old April 4th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Abramov View Post
If your friend's card was bad, it would stop recording on both. The whole point of dual record is to record to both cards at once. Why do you think the camera would just continue recording at all if one of the two cards it is supposed to write to (because you enabled DUAL CARD RECORD) would fail?
Old April 4th, 2017, 08:11 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I've thought about doing away with my external record and rely on dual card but this shows a weakness. Av output continues even if there is a card failure.

Whenever you're thinking of cutting corners shooting video...don't.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 08:25 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cofrancesco View Post
I've thought about doing away with my external record and rely on dual card but this shows a weakness.
It's not really a weakness though because it was never supposed to be a safety feature. The primary reason for dual card record is so that you can hand off an identical SD card at the end of a shooting day to the client.
Old April 5th, 2017, 09:48 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I think it's a safety feature, if incase one of the cards malfunctions so you have a back up.
Old April 5th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Huff View Post
It's not really a weakness though because it was never supposed to be a safety feature. The primary reason for dual card record is so that you can hand off an identical SD card at the end of a shooting day to the client.
There are various levels of security. I once pulled a card to deliver to a client and it was lost in the process. I've had a computer card reader corrupt a card. A colleague of mine pulls one card in case someone steals his equipment.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems