C100 Upgrade? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old October 15th, 2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Tourist

C100 Upgrade?

Hey, everyone!

I am a wedding videographer, I was just wondering what would be a good camera upgrade from a C100? I love the C100, just wanted to see what would be a good step up from it. I also have a Ninja Blade recorder that I used with my camera. I have no complaints about quality.

Thoughts?
Evan Lindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: C100 Upgrade?

For wedding specifically I found the 5D4 to be the best Canon camera to use quality vs size/flexibility wise.
Nothing comes close to it for video for weddings in Canon world. (I can elaborate on reasons if you are curious later).

And that's coming from a person who already owns the C100 mkii.
If you really want to stick to Cinema camera, C200 would be an upgrade.
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Trustee

To be fair to you, I would agree with your statement that nothing comes close to it in *Canon* Worlds. Alas the World is much larger and far better for video than exists in Canon's humble little World for DSLR. I agree the C200 is mighty fine for RAW, but too expensive if required more exclusively for anything less than that format. I'd more buy the C300 over the C200; at least there is some value for money there and a drop in price, maybe in anticipation of a new update makes it a tempting purchase for anyone serious in video..

Some better options exists outside Canon, the Sony FS5, the Panaosnic EVA1 (though still needs further testing) and the URSA Mini 4.6k; though the latter is crippled by a low ISO, which would hinder you in Weddings. Still image wise and for features, the URSA trumps equivalent priced cameras.

Frankly I find the GH5 range of features and codecs make spending 3 times it's price feel expensive and less worthwhile of an investment. It's recent firmware makes the 5D Mark IV look sadly inadequate at best; little more than a toy for video at worse.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 07:24 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You might be right, yet shooting weddings I see more people doing wedding videos with Canon DSLR's than any other camera. Isn't that strange lol?
Old October 21st, 2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
You might be right, yet shooting weddings I see more people doing wedding videos with Canon DSLR's than any other camera. Isn't that strange lol?
Oh definately given the competition. Maybe they can't afford to upgrade. ;)

Over here, I see more Sony than Canon for video now. Few years back it was Canon all over, but times are a changing. Nearly every video Professional I meet these days are criticising Canon DSLR for video. It says something that many running C300 or C200 are using either Sony or Pansonic for their smaller B cameras over Canons own.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 04:16 PM   #6
Inner Circle

If you already have a c100 it means you also have canon lenses, then a canon dslr might make sense as you only would have to buy a body, a 5D4 however is not geared towards video though in terms of functionality so keep that in mind if you switch from a c100, don't expect the same ease of use, the c100 is a much more versatile videocamera.

Also, why do you want to upgrade? if you don't need 4K then the c100 is already a very good camera for weddings. If you need 4K then there is the c200 if you have the budget for it.

Quote:
I see more people doing wedding videos with Canon DSLR's than any other camera
Sony full frame camera's are also very popular wedding videocamera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2017, 10:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
If you already have a c100 it means you also have canon lenses, then a canon dslr might make sense as you only would have to buy a body, a 5D4 however is not geared towards video though in terms of functionality so keep that in mind if you switch from a c100, don't expect the same ease of use, the c100 is a much more versatile videocamera.

Also, why do you want to upgrade? if you don't need 4K then the c100 is already a very good camera for weddings. If you need 4K then there is the c200 if you have the budget for it.

Sony full frame camera's are also very popular wedding videocamera's.

He is right, as much as I would also really like to buy the C200 (and I will, it is just a matter of time) I don;t think C200 is gonna add much value to wedding videography. 4K is not needed yet for weddings.
Old October 24th, 2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakob Hakobyan View Post
He is right, as much as I would also really like to buy the C200 (and I will, it is just a matter of time) I don;t think C200 is gonna add much value to wedding videography. 4K is not needed yet for weddings.
I don't know. Many Professionals I know have moved on from the C100. 5% of my clients now ask for 4K; small I admit, but it is rising. The C100 reliance on AVCHD, an outdated and limited codec makes for a poor Professional camera with new technology on the way. My GH5 outclasses the C100 Mark II at 50% of the cost. Yes you can still get good work from it, but there are better options now out there. Having edited C100 footage this year and having to apologise to clients for it, has not made me disposed to either the C100 or to Canon.

Last edited by Steve Burkett; October 24th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.
Steve Burkett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems