DSLR vs Cinema camera "look" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old May 27th, 2018, 07:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

DSLR vs Cinema camera "look"

Hi guys,

A quick question.
I want to get your thoughts on the "look" of DSLR vs Cinema cameras.

I shoot weddings and my main 2 cameras are C100 mkii and 5D4. I shoot C-Log on both of them.

Now I want to know if my eyes are going crazy or this is the case.
The 5D4 video footage looks much softer to me...
Don't get me wrong, it still looks nice with great skin tones but when I put it right next to C100 footage and cut between them the difference is apparent.
5D4 footage seems softer, almost like there was some kind of smoothing filter applied.
To me C100 ii footage looks much sharper and I actually really like that look better!

Even after applying sharpening to 5D4 it doesn't quite match it to C100ii.
Bottom line is, am I going crazy or it's actually like that?

Thanks,
Hakob
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 12:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: DSLR vs Cinema camera "look"

The 5D4 is not intended for professional video use, the c100 is, eventhough Canon has improved the image on the mark 4 compared to the mark 3 it still can't compete with the c100, as you have noticed. The reason why it's image is softer is because Canon wants you to use their c-line for video and it's clear by now they have no intentions to make their eos line as capable in video as the c100/200.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The 5D4 is not intended for professional video use, the c100 is, eventhough Canon has improved the image on the mark 4 compared to the mark 3 it still can't compete with the c100, as you have noticed. The reason why it's image is softer is because Canon wants you to use their c-line for video and it's clear by now they have no intentions to make their eos line as capable in video as the c100/200.
H@@m, most likely.
The funny thing is I always thought 5D produces nice video and it does as long as you don't put it right next and compare to Cinema line lol.
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In addition I believe there are issues capturing video from a full frame like moire. The camera has to take shortcuts to be able to scan the sensor at the rate it needs to, line skipping etc, Full frame dof is shallower so you need to be dead on, and full frame also magnifies lens weakness such as the edges of the lens.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2018, 12:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Panasonic and Sony have photocamera's with interchangable lenses that perfectly can serve as b-camera next to a fs5 or eva1 while it looks like Canon has zero interest in making that happen, just look at all the hidden functions magic lantern was able to reveal, it's all there, even their 50D had capability to shoot video in raw in 2008 but they are holding back on purpose. The 5D4 has made visual improvements but then they"ll hold back on functionality that's needed for videorecording or give you a 4K codec that no-one wants to use.
If you want to shoot weddings with a 5D4 it's best to get a second 5d4 or get two c100II
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

5D4 4K footage downscaled in a HD timeline works well but to achieve a really sharp result 4K can first be downscaled to 2K using a Lanczos 3 algorithm in Compressor or similar program. Using this method will produce great looking HD but of course far easier workflow to just shoot HD with 2 x C100s. 5D4 full frame HD is a lot softer than C100 footage but does have that nice full frame asthetic.
Chris Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2018, 02:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Norman View Post
. 5D4 full frame HD is a lot softer than C100 footage but does have that nice full frame asthetic.
To each his own but I am not a very big fan of super shallow DEF for video work, at least for documentary work.
Makes it harder to keep sharp focus.
Hakob Hakobyan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems