C200 4K vs C100 (MK1) HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old July 29th, 2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

C200 4K vs C100 (MK1) HD

I have quite a few C100 MK1s that work fantastically in the low light of theatre and dance productions. Been happily using them for a few years, however I wanted to investigate the following:

Although I deliver in 1080P, I like the idea of having 4K image so I could for example take a very wide safety shot of the entire stage and then crop the image down if I need to to make some alternate camera shots with only needing 1 camera.

So I managed to get my hands on a C200 + Ninja Inferno, 4K output recording at ProRes 422 on the Ninja.

What I did:

C100 - Safe shot - Full stage
C100 - Closer shot - Mid stage

C200 - Safe shot - Full stage
This gave me then the option to create a copy of the Safe shot, zoom in the image a bit (only 80%) and match the mid stage shot. So 2 shots with only 1 camera.

Now this is where I was surprised, the quality of the shot taken with the C100 was much better than the C200 zoomed in to only 80%. I have tried a few settings but nothing seems to improve it. I was expecting to see at the least the same quality (I even hoped for a little better) but it really is not as good at all from the C200...

I also saw quite a lot of noise in the recording on the Ninja from the C200 when setting the same ISO/F stop as the C100 + Ninja Blade.

Any suggestions, anything I am missing?

Thanks
Vince
Old August 5th, 2019, 01:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: C200 4K vs C100 (MK1) HD

It is still only an 8bit output from the C200 over HDMI
Old August 5th, 2019, 04:37 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: C200 4K vs C100 (MK1) HD

Generally speaking higher resolution sensors do worse in low light because the pixels are smaller and take in less light. This is why the Sony A7IIS is better than newer versions in low light. Then on top of that you’re zooming in.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems