C200 cinema RAW: color space confusion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems

Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems
For all Canon Cinema EOS models: C700 / C300 Mk. II / C200 / C100 Mk II and EF / PL lenses.

Old January 6th, 2020, 04:04 AM   #1
Tourist

C200 cinema RAW: color space confusion

I am exploring a Rec.2020 workflow for my Canon C200 Cinema RAW Light footage. There are two ways to import this footage into Final Cut Pro X (FCPX):

1) RAW can be directly imported into FCPX without transcoding using the Canon plugin.
2) RAW can be first transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 using the Canon Cinema RAW Development (CRD) software.

For both methods I set the color space for the FCPX library to "Wide Gamut HDR” and for the project to “Rec.2020”.

Method 1: after importing the RAW clip into FCPX and applying the appropriate Canon Camera LUT to transform the color space from Cinema Gamut to Rec.2020, the FCPX “Info Inspector” indicated Rec.709 for the clip. Dragging the clip to the timeline the “Info Inspector” also indicated Rec.709 for the clip in the timeline.

Method 2: In CRD I used as output specs Apple ProRes 422 HQ and color space Rec.2020. Inspecting the resulting file with Invisor, it says “Color primaries BT.709”.

All software has been updated to the most recent versions running under macOS Catalina.

Why is FCPX and Invisor showing Rec.709 instead of Rec.2020?

Your expert input is highly appreciated.
Cees Timmer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon Cinema EOS Camera Systems