Shooting at Skywalker ranch for Lucasfilm with the 5DmkII and 7D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Trustee

Shooting at Skywalker ranch for Lucasfilm with the 5DmkII and 7D

Read all about my adventure here:

The tale of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, Red Tails, Star Wars and Canon DSLRs | Philip Bloom

the blog details all gear used including lenses.

Last edited by Phil Bloom; December 12th, 2009 at 08:10 AM.
Phil Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Another nice job Phil...and thanks for showing these guys what the camera can do. I have been kind of tired of people dogging the camera, say it cant' be true HD, and its got low resolution, blah, blah, blah,,,,,,I am glad to hear the big boys are looking at it and liked it.
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What a fantastic opportunity Phil! We are at a pivotal crossroad in cinematography technology and you've had the great fortune to have a front row seat. Excellent imagery as always. I was just discussing this crossroad with a friend today who was lamenting the pros and cons of his 5D. I told him all we need now is to take the best of the EX-1 and the 5D for a price under $10k and watch them fly off the shelves. The Scarlet looks great but I think we could get there for less. Your work here obviously shows we're nearly there now. Good stuff!
Steve Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Congratulations! Nice work and it must've been totally mind-blowing visiting Skywalker Ranch. I'm so impressed with what an experienced shooter and the 5Dmkii & 7D can do.

It's a little surreal but my only idea (until now) of Skywalker Ranch comes from the movie Fanboys (Fanboys (2008)). hahahaha

Keep up the good work Phil!
Alvin Ang Teng Cheong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #5
Major Player

WOW!!!!! What a fantastic moment in your life!!! Way to bring the good stuff when it was on the line!! So, to all the people that say the camera is junk or not a real video camera.... Ummmmm the guy who kinda started ALL of this... Thinks it's pretty cool when someone as talented as PB is behind the lens. Now I'm sure he could also do this with a flip cam, but the fact that he did it with a 7D gives me hope for my own lost creative soul....
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Regular Crew

A wonderful story wonderfully told.

And your video is all the proof anyone should need.

Congratulations.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Sweet.

Well done! The video was gorgeous. What an amazing place. You helped me make some gear purchases, too. While I have the IndieSlider, it's big. And heavy. And while longer, for lots of shots that "mini-track" seems to be enough.
Old December 11th, 2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Wonderful! My God I'd like to see that on the 40 foot screen.

The 5DII has an incredible advantage in the cockpit; it's a natural for the "Red Tails" shots.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Lovely work as well Phil. And timely as well as this is the kind of thing I hope to be shooting by this time next year on the 7D.

I'd curious if you could comment on what lenses you shot with on this project.

And of course the $64k question. Given the potential for these folks to pull Canon into the fold, any thoughts on what they might like to see? We saw a Panavised F900, and I'm sure they will want to mount some serious glass on the Canons too. Not to mention seeing a little more bit rate for the in-cockpit action. I wonder if they might be able to light a fire...
Old December 12th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Beautiful footage - and one heck of a cool experience.

The fog is simply magical. One morning, about three months ago, my wife and I were driving along the Columbia River towards the coast just after sunrise on a clear day. The fog was hanging over the various wetlands, and the morning light made everything sparkle. Add in the rustic buildings and you've got the picture. We've taken that drive a number of times, but only once did we have those conditions. And, of course, my son had the camera a couple hundred miles away. I so wanted my camera, a couple of free hours, and some hip waders!

Anyway, the fog in your piece reminded me of that day. It was awesome that you were able to be there when the conditions were just right. Heck, it was awesome that you were invited to be there at all!
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
Well done! The video was gorgeous. What an amazing place. You helped me make some gear purchases, too. While I have the IndieSlider, it's big. And heavy. And while longer, for lots of shots that "mini-track" seems to be enough.
indieslider do a small version too i believe. i have the big one and its too big and heavy. never use it!
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #12
Major Player

The video is beautiful but man oh man, those star timelapses are truly spectacular.
Old December 12th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #13
Major Player

Holy cow, Phil you lucky duck! HA! That's amazing, and of course, who else would they call about the 7D/5D/Ex1?

Awesome film! Super jealous, but awesome film. It is very inspiring as usual and makes me want to go out now and shoot, but alas, I am designing print pieces all day for Lakewood. Maybe tomorrow...
Old December 12th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #14
Major Player

Congratulations! Once again you have inspired and energized everyone who owns or is thinking of owning one of these cameras.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks so much for sharing this.

It was inspirational. I would be giddy as a child in a toy store, I imagine that is how you felt.

I get my 7D on Tuesday and am considering buying your DVD. Does the special Star Wars offer come off of the $135 price?

How big is the download?

Thanks again for all you do to help others learn these skills.

Shawn
Shawn Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD