DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7D have 24p but why not 5DM2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/346336-7d-have-24p-but-why-not-5dm2.html)

Alex Chong September 1st, 2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick (Post 1296875)
Ouch. I bought mine two weeks ago.
I figured it would be obsolete within six months and I would sell it to a still photographer and take the hit. Hopefully after having put it to work.
That seemed a pessimistic scenario but prudent.
Now it looks like it may have become obsolete within two weeks. That's quite some going Canon.
Meanwhile all the extra stuff that I need to buy to make the camera work gets put on hold.
For instance I came on line this morning to finally make a decision about a buying a new lens (yes, Canon, it might have been one of yours).
The last thing I expected to read about was a newer, cheaper Canon camera that does 25p.
I can't believe that if Canon can incorporate 25p into the 7D that they could not have included it with the 5D.
When the time comes to replace my XH A1 is Canon going to make that obsolete within a few months. I wonder.
Perhaps I should wait to see what Sony or Nikon come up with.

Nothing to worry about mate. Just read Tramm's thread on the 7D sub-forum. 7D has no audio monitoring and requires a firmware like Magic Lantern to turn off the AGC. Who knows, Canon may yet surprise us all with an updated firmware with 24P for the 5D2. I am still keeping my hopes up.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick (Post 1296875)
I bought mine two weeks ago. I figured it would be obsolete within six months and I would sell it to a still photographer and take the hit. Hopefully after having put it to work. That seemed a pessimistic scenario but prudent. Now it looks like it may have become obsolete within two weeks.

The 5D Mk. II will continue to hold its value very well. There is -- and still will be for quite some time -- a very good used market for this camera. Remember there are plenty of potential buyers who have no intention of getting it for its movie mode and have no interest in its video capabilities at all.

Brian Luce September 1st, 2009 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1296159)
My opinion -- which I don't know to be a fact and is therefore just a guess -- is that adding those
frame rates probably requires a *hardware* change and not just a downloadable firmware update.

This is what I have heard too. That the software is locked to the Canon clock.

Yang Wen September 1st, 2009 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunseng Chuor (Post 1296493)
Thank Dan,
i know that Canon is a business. and yeah, i thing we all happy with 5D cuz we been achieve a lot creative work that we can't do on DV or HDV cam. but we here to make voices, and ask them to change there keys business, not all but just the customer support.

i know if they still being the same, people will switch to Red once scarlet release. i am too.

I don't understand this mindset.. We have make voices and ask them to their key businesses? You buy the product offered by a company and you use whatever you bought. If you don't like it anymore you sell it to someone else.

If you buy a car and later you want it to have more horsepower, do you pressure the car company to fine tune your engine for you?

Yang Wen September 1st, 2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1296161)
your speculation could possibly be supported by the fact that the 7D has 2 processors in it. There has got to be a reason for this.

Doubtful.. makes no sense to require more processing power to push thru less frames.

The dual digic processor almost certainly has to do with the fact that this camera shoots 8fps @ a resolution of 18mps RAW and the improved AF system that captures more AF data would also require additional processing power.

I bet both digic processors are not even used for the video.

Ethan Cooper September 1st, 2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1297572)
Doubtful.. makes no sense to require more processing power to push thru less frames.

The dual digic processor almost certainly has to do with the fact that this camera shoots 8fps @ a resolution of 18mps RAW and the improved AF system that captures more AF data would also require additional processing power.

I bet both digic processors are not even used for the video.

who knows at this point. from the videos I've seen it looks like jello is much less of a problem so maybe one of those processors is put to use there. I do wonder if there are two processors churning away in there are there going to be heat problems and battery life issues? time will tell.

Tramm Hudson September 1st, 2009 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1297564)
If you buy a car and later you want it to have more horsepower, do you pressure the car company to fine tune your engine for you?

The difference is that automobile manufacturers provide service manuals so that you can tune your own car.

I'm certainly hoping for a firmware update from Canon for the 5D Mark II. I don't believe there to be a hardware reason that slower frame rates would cause any problems: the T1i does 20 fps with a single DIGIC4. The higher frame rates, like 720p60 could certainly use the dual DIGIC chips, especially to reduce vertical aliasing during the downsample or to reduce the effective scanrate of the electronic shutter.

Yang Wen September 1st, 2009 08:06 AM

Well as an example, the 1D Mark 3 has dual digic 3 processors. Required to assist with keeping up with 10MP @ 10FPS and the AF system. Two processors used to read from the 8 data channels coming from the sensor, such as this 7D has..

James Miller September 1st, 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1297681)
who knows at this point. from the videos I've seen it looks like jello is much less of a problem so maybe one of those processors is put to use there. I do wonder if there are two processors churning away in there are there going to be heat problems and battery life issues? time will tell.

Ethan have a look at the sample here:
Canon EOS 7D Hands-on Preview: 14. Samples: Digital Photography Review

If played frame by frame the 7D seems to have just as much Jello as the 5DMK2.

I'am trying to spot the aliasing artifacts in all the samples. I see the data rate is now 48mbit/s.

Bunseng Chuor September 1st, 2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1297564)
I don't understand this mindset.. We have make voices and ask them to their key businesses? You buy the product offered by a company and you use whatever you bought. If you don't like it anymore you sell it to someone else.

this is completely difference from the auto market.
just a simple question for you.
did you ever upgrade you computer OS? did you ever upgrade your bug fix?
and yeah i know you been upgrade your 5d.
if you been upgrade your 5d firmware, dose it mean they replace the engine for you?
it just the simple firmware update. and what i ask for is the new firmware update witch content 25-60fps. and i know this is possible.

and dude!! this is the electronic market. it will need to combine hardware and software. so they have to fix there problem. and i'm not asking them to change the Engine for me (replace the 5d hardware). i just asking them to upgrade or fix the problem. and it can be done in software ( firmware )

and by the way, i think i'm not the only one who asking for this. and i know if canon happen to release the new firmware update, who know it might be you're the fist one to update your 5D.

sorry for my bad english.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 09:36 AM

Your English is not a problem here.

We don't know for a fact that frame rates can be added to the 5D Mk. II by a simple firmware update. Sure there is a lot of talk about it but we don't know that to be true definitively.

The lack of additional frame rates is not a "problem" in the sense that there is nothing broken which needs to be fixed. The 5D Mk. II works exactly as designed. It does what it was advertised to do, which is to shoot video at 30 frames per second.

Chris Hurd September 1st, 2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Chong (Post 1297021)
7D has no audio monitoring...

Not so fast; see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1297686-post2.html

Bunseng Chuor September 1st, 2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1298033)
Your English is not a problem here.

We don't know for a fact that frame rates can be added to the 5D Mk. II by a simple firmware update. Sure there is a lot of talk about it but we don't know that to be true definitively.

The lack of additional frame rates is not a "problem" in the sense that there is nothing broken which needs to be fixed. The 5D Mk. II works exactly as designed. It does what it was advertised to do, which is to shoot video at 30 frames per second.

yeah it works exactly as designed, but i just hope and believe that it can be happen.
remember last time update? it was happen once..

Yang Wen September 1st, 2009 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunseng Chuor (Post 1297927)
and i'm not asking them to change the Engine for me (replace the 5d hardware). i just ask

If you purchased a red car and later the car manufacture came out with a new silver color that you really liked, do you then pressure the car company to re-paint it for you in silver?

Bunseng Chuor September 1st, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1298048)
If you purchased a red car and later the car manufacture came out with a new silver color that you really liked, do you then pressure the car company to re-paint it for you in silver?

i been mention that auto industry is deference from electronic industry. if you buy RED one or Mac they will come out with the firmware or software update to make that product have more function. and more competition with other.

if you say that auto and electronic industry are the same and you can't ask re-paint car above. witch mean you buy a PC and you never upgrade your OS 311, since 90s. or Mac OS7, till now then.