7D have 24p but why not 5DM2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 31st, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

7D have 24p but why not 5DM2

i really hate this.
7d release with full HD 24p. but why don't they release 24p on 5d Mark 2.
we spend a lot of money on 5d, witch is more expansive then 7D. and now 7D get all the function that all way request for?
now i don't know what they doing!!
come on canon. support your customer.

guys what is your opinion?
Bunseng Chuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

My opinion -- which I don't know to be a fact and is therefore just a guess -- is that adding those
frame rates probably requires a *hardware* change and not just a downloadable firmware update.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:42 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
My opinion -- which I don't know to be a fact and is therefore just a guess -- is that adding those
frame rates probably requires a *hardware* change and not just a downloadable firmware update.
your speculation could possibly be supported by the fact that the 7D has 2 processors in it. There has got to be a reason for this.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I hate to say this but do they just want the money from us..?
i know new stuff get new thing. but we span huge amount of money to get 5D, and now they just don't care about upgrade there firmware.
regarding to the censor chip. I'm sure they can do just in firmware update. please look at RED they use CMOS censer the same. and they can do hight speed frame rate.
i don't mind that they downscale from 1080p to 720p to get 50fps - 60fps.
or might be, we just have to wait a bit longer cuz they wanted to get low end consumer.
then they will release the new firmware that boom the 5D industry.
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Trustee

The extra processor combined with the smaller sensor may have something to do with the multiple frame rates...
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:20 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunseng Chuor View Post
I hate to say this but do they just want the money from us..?.
Yes. They're a business and by definition they want your money, and as much of it as they can get.

We'll probably know soon if the 5D gets some type of update but I've got a feeling that you're going to have to buy some other unreleased Canon product if you want full frame at 24p. It's coming eventually and they are going to want you to pay for it. Can you blame them? They're basically the only game in town at this point until someone else steps up to the plate in quality and price.

-Ethan Cooper
Old August 31st, 2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I wouldn't rule out a firmware upgrade, but you have to remember Canon is a business. They have a long history of bringing out new models with better features than the last one and asking you to buy it. Compared to people who bought the 1DsmkIII weeks before the 5DmkII was launched we have relatively little to moan about.

We put money down for the 5DmkII when we knew its original spec, Canon never claimed they would keep improving it.

On the plus side for those who haven't bought a 5DmkII yet this camera seems like a bit of a bargain.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Major Player

It's so cheap that it might make sense for many to own both a 5D Mk II and a 7D. The economy of it makes a lot of sense, really... You can share EF lenses, accessories, and media cards.

There should still be a very strong market for the 5D Mk II, so selling it and buying a 7D would result in a net savings, too. So, I don't know how much we really have to complain about here....
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:15 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
We put money down for the 5DmkII when we knew its original spec, Canon never claimed they would keep improving it.
Dan
That's the important point, Dan. People should buy products for what they do, not for what they could eventually do.

The 5D MkII was a very big step forward that we all wanted to be part with. I really hope Canon could at least bring 25p to the 5D though. In the meantime I will reserve a 7D... ;-DD
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
I wouldn't rule out a firmware upgrade, but you have to remember Canon is a business. They have a long history of bringing out new models with better features than the last one and asking you to buy it. Compared to people who bought the 1DsmkIII weeks before the 5DmkII was launched we have relatively little to moan about.

On the plus side for those who haven't bought a 5DmkII yet this camera seems like a bit of a bargain.

Dan
Thank Dan,
i know that Canon is a business. and yeah, i thing we all happy with 5D cuz we been achieve a lot creative work that we can't do on DV or HDV cam. but we here to make voices, and ask them to change there keys business, not all but just the customer support.

i know if they still being the same, people will switch to Red once scarlet release. i am too.
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:31 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Yes. They're a business and by definition they want your money, and as much of it as they can get.

We'll probably know soon if the 5D gets some type of update but I've got a feeling that you're going to have to buy some other unreleased Canon product if you want full frame at 24p. It's coming eventually and they are going to want you to pay for it. Can you blame them? They're basically the only game in town at this point until someone else steps up to the plate in quality and price.
i would pay for the firmware update instant of buy new camera, pay less on with you already have.

cheers
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:44 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
i know if they still being the same, people will switch to Red once scarlet release. i am too.
Maybe, maybe not. I think Canon is doing a smart thing here by understanding the market who is looking at buying a Scarlet. Most of the low end Scarlet market doesn't have a whole lot of cash to throw around and the Canon offerings will be a good bit less expensive than what Red will bring to the table. Sure there are some trade offs by choosing Canon especially if Red can deliver the type of image quality most seem to think they can, but a few thousand dollars can hold a lot of sway for people in this segment of the market.

Canon might have positioned themselves as the "good enough for the money that I won't buy a Scarlet" brand.

-Ethan Cooper
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Thank Dan,
i know that Canon is a business. and yeah, i thing we all happy with 5D cuz we been achieve a lot creative work that we can't do on DV or HDV cam. but we here to make voices, and ask them to change there keys business, not all but just the customer support.

If you're not happy about Canon's customer support, you'll simply love Red's.
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

just found video sample for 7D
Canon: EOS 7D Sample Images & Movies
Old September 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
haven't bought a 5DmkII yet this camera seems like a bit of a bargain.
Dan
Ouch. I bought mine two weeks ago.
I figured it would be obsolete within six months and I would sell it to a still photographer and take the hit. Hopefully after having put it to work.
That seemed a pessimistic scenario but prudent.
Now it looks like it may have become obsolete within two weeks. That's quite some going Canon.
Meanwhile all the extra stuff that I need to buy to make the camera work gets put on hold.
For instance I came on line this morning to finally make a decision about a buying a new lens (yes, Canon, it might have been one of yours).
The last thing I expected to read about was a newer, cheaper Canon camera that does 25p.
I can't believe that if Canon can incorporate 25p into the 7D that they could not have included it with the 5D.
When the time comes to replace my XH A1 is Canon going to make that obsolete within a few months. I wonder.
Perhaps I should wait to see what Sony or Nikon come up with.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD