7d latitude and shadow detail capabilities? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 6th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Inner Circle

7d latitude and shadow detail capabilities?

How about some comments on the latitude and ability to look in the dark on this clip
YouTube - Canon EOS 7D sample video
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I have no opinion on the technical aspects of this clip, but I would like to point out that the subject is a well-known and quite well-received street performer in New York. My wife and I had the privilege of catching him in this same Central Park tunnel way back in July of 2003; nice to see that he's remained true to his style after all this time.

For those who are interested, his web site is Thoth - I heal through divine prayformance

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
How about some comments on the latitude and ability to look in the dark on this clip
I think you mean dynamic range (distance between highlights and shadows), not latitude (flexibility to over- or underexpose). In that shot the dynamic range is very poor, but I would guess that it was used with default settings. The default settings are optimized for high contrast and low dynamic range.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 10:02 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Hard to say, but I've had problems shooting in environments like that with an EX3, just seemed to camera wasn't forgiving enough to capture that extreme a range of lighting conditions.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Major Player

It wouldn't be a good shot even with more dynamic range. We would just see more dark detail which wouldn't contribute anything.
If the performer would step forward and if the shot were framed tighter it would be better.
I know that's not what your asking, but more dynamic range is seldom a real benefit to better images.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM   #6
Major Player

That clip was obviously shot with the default color settings. You need to shoot "flat" to get more dynamic range. I do so for all my cameras, including still cameras.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
It wouldn't be a good shot even with more dynamic range. We would just see more dark detail which wouldn't contribute anything.
Why do you think it wouldn't contribute anything? If you mean revealing what's in the shadows, that's a benefit, because it's more information.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD