Canon lenses with minimal breathing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 16th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon lenses with minimal breathing

I'm interested in the 7d and even more interested to find some lenses that have minimal breathing. Anyone care to chime in?
Che Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
New Boot

"The Canon 17-40mm f/4 L does a little weird thing I've seen in my Nikon 17-35mm zoom and the Canon 16-35mm L: look at a line along the bottom of the frame as you focus at the wide end and you'll see it change shape as the distortion changes! Fun, but not significant."

"The Canon 70-300mm DO IS could be a real winner for cinematography, since I see no focus breathing."

"The Canon 85mm f/1.8 changes magnification as you pull focus."

Just a few bits from kenrockwell.com. I discovered from a search that Ken has a pretty extensive list of lenses and their breathing characteristics. These were just a few I found.
Che Butterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Take care with Ken Rockwell. He reviews equipment he's never used, and freely admits to making things up to get pageviews.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #4
Major Player

The 24-70 is pretty good. The widest lenses tend to have tight focus rings.

I expect the Zeiss primes geared for follow focus don't breath. These should work on Canon.
Don Miller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD