Canon 7D - Which lenses for video - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #31
Inner Circle

If you're shooting dramatic narrative and normal people-based stuff, get the 17-50. If you're doing more artistic stuff or handheld, up-close action, the wider lens is the better choice.

I haven't used either lens. I'm writing just in terms of the field of view.
Old September 28th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert View Post
well i've narrowed down my choices between the tokina 11-16mm 2.8 and the tamron 17-50mm 2.8. both cost about the same and have gotten great reviews. i'm trying to decide between the two as my overall video lens as this is what i can budget for now. i like the tokina for its wideness and the tamron for its zoom range. your thoughts?
Are you sure you know the FOV on a 11-16 with a 1.6 crop sensor? It's still an ultrawide, which is an unusual choice for a walk around lens.
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
As a second lens with a longer reach, I'd go for the EF 70-200mm f/4 L (without IS if it's mostly for video, since you'll be shooting from a tripod with this lens), for $650. The same lens with IS goes for $1200 or so. There's an f/2.8 version of this lens which is bigger and quite a bit heavier, not to mention more expensive (if I recall, it's $1200 without IS and around $2000 with IS).

For those on a budget, there's also the EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS for only $600.
Chris,

what do you think of the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 over the Canon f/4 version? this lens has gotten excellent reviews and feedback from owners. it doesn't cost too much more than the Canon f/4 plus you gain the extra light w/ the Sigma being an f/2.8. thanks.
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #34
Contributor

That 11-16 is pretty wide. If you can only afford one lens, I'd go for the 17-50. If you can afford it, Tamron has made a new version of that same lens that has IS. They call it VC, vibration compensation, or someting like that. Adds around $200 or so to the price. They hit with the Nikon version first but the Canon version is supposedly shipping and will probably be available about the time the camera is. I have a Tamron 17-35, which is 2.8 at the wide end. It's solid and heavy and seems reasonably sharp all the way through. The measurebators say it's not as sharp when wide open but you can probably say that about most lenses.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitja Popovski View Post
tamron 28-75 2.8 is ok for 5D, but not very convenient for 7D, you probably mean 17-50 2.8 which is EF-S equivalent.
I'm referencing to the kit lens being the 28-135 option. I am saying the tamron is a much better choice than that. In focal length, it's about the same but a bit shorter.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #36
Major Player

Lens adapter

Does the 7D use the same EOS adapters as the 5D for using older Nikkor or Pentax lenses? Not sure if the reduced sensor requires a special adapter.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert View Post
Chris, what do you think of the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 over the Canon f/4 version?
Sorry, I have no direct experience with either lens... although the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L is on my to-buy list.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:47 AM   #38
Regular Crew

My Lenses

Hi all

I have a 7D on preorder (should receive it next week) and although I'm new to vidDSLR's my current main video camera is a Sony HVR-V1. I already own a number of lenses used for still photography and I'd really appreciate an opinion on how the lenses would perform for video and if there are any gaping holes that I'd need to plug.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm
Canon EF-S 15-85mm (shipping with the 7D)
Canon EF 100 Macro
Canon EF 55-200
Sigma 200-400 telephoto zoom (can't remember the exact specs)

Any input would be really appreciated.
Simon Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Spear View Post

if there are any gaping holes that I'd need to plug.

Canon EF-S 10-22mm
Canon EF-S 15-85mm (shipping with the 7D)
What kind of shooting are you going to be doing? My one concern would be that both these lenses are 3.5-4.5/5.6 lenses. If you're planning to shoot a lot of stuff at night (which seems to be what everyone is doing with this camera :) !) you might want a lens or two that go wider in aperture.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Hi Michael

I'm mainly an underwater filmmaker/camera operator so low light performance is a high priority, but it will be awhile before a housing becomes available for the 7D. Until then I'll be using it for above water daylight 'scene setting', interviews and general stock shooting. I'm about to leave on a 4 month filming trip to Asia and the Pacific and ideally I'd like to have everything I need with me when I leave rather than get into the middle of the Pacific and find I'm missing something fairly essential! Thanks for your input.
Simon Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #41
Trustee

Simon, I prefer full-frame cameras, especially for underwater, so I would have thought that you'd have gone for the 5D - especially for the absence of crop using wide lenses.

The Canon 10-22mm will probably be used a lot on your dive on the 7D, but you might also want a fixed extreme wideangle lens in some situations (although you can bump up the ISO a bit to compensate when using the slower zoom lenses - depending if you are surface diving using natural light or deeper with TTL flash). The Tokina Pro DXII 12-24mm f/4 is also a good performer.

Regarding UW housings, quite a lot of the ones for the 5D should also fit the 7D.
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #42
Regular Crew

I'll second the recommendation for the Tokina. That 12-24 has outstanding colour and contrast for its price point.
Daniel Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Canon 17-55 f2.8

Just got back from picking up my 7D and Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 lens. I'll do some test shooting tomorrow and try to post some samples for people to review.

--SM
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #44
Regular Crew

Sounds great Stephen!
I'm planning on buying the same kit plus a few lens more.
Any feedback or samples would be very usefull.
Looking forward to see the results.
Enjoy your new purchase,
Javier
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2009, 01:03 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
Simon, I prefer full-frame cameras, especially for underwater, so I would have thought that you'd have gone for the 5D - especially for the absence of crop using wide lenses.

The Canon 10-22mm will probably be used a lot on your dive on the 7D, but you might also want a fixed extreme wideangle lens in some situations (although you can bump up the ISO a bit to compensate when using the slower zoom lenses - depending if you are surface diving using natural light or deeper with TTL flash). The Tokina Pro DXII 12-24mm f/4 is also a good performer.

Regarding UW housings, quite a lot of the ones for the 5D should also fit the 7D.
That's very intertesting - I had no idea that the form factor was so similar to a 5D to allow the same housings to work. I'll look into that for sure and the Tokina lens too. Thanks for the info.
Simon Spear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD