DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   7d vs 5dmkII article (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/434838-7d-vs-5dmkii-article.html)

Phil Bloom September 24th, 2009 02:39 PM

7d vs 5dmkII article

I know it doesn't answer ALL your questions but no article ever can. Hopefully it will help you decide as only you can decide, not me!

Philip Bloom Blog Archive “5d or 7d”, That is the question…

Roberto Lanczos September 24th, 2009 02:51 PM

Thank you Phil...

You da MAN ;)

Jon Fairhurst September 24th, 2009 03:21 PM

Nice article!

The only thing missing is a discussion of Magic Lantern. (Have you taken it for a spin yet? With three cams in hand and the fact that there are no reported failures due to ML, the risk is minuscule.) Tramm expects to port it to the 7D in a few months time, but there are no guarantees, as he doesn't have a 7D at this time.

The implication is that you must do double system sound on the 7D for the time being. You have to take the extra time to snap photos and check histograms, as compared to using live zebras, histogram, and waveform. And you can't do press-of-a-button rack focus to a set point. Yet.

I REALLY hope that Canon gives us 24/25p - and 720/60 - on the 5D. And I hope that somebody donates a 7D to Tramm, so the port happens quickly.

Once the firmware playing field is level, then Canon will have a killer one-two punch. The only questions when deciding between the cams will be the angle of view, lenses, and roughly one thousand dollars.

Phil Bloom September 24th, 2009 04:56 PM

yep Magic Lantern is cool but as it is not official it can't be included in the equation!

Jon Fairhurst September 24th, 2009 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1393864)
yep Magic Lantern is cool but as it is not official it can't be included in the equation!

It's a big part of my equation. I don't shoot video (or audio - especially audio) on the 5D2 without it.

But my equation doesn't include a pre-production unit from the manufacturer. That does change things a bit. :)

That said, Tim Smith, Product Manager of Digital Imaging at Canon USA, openly acknowledged the 3rd party firmware - even if he did think it was from Switzerland. :)

Digital Cinema Society - New Streaming

Phil Bloom September 24th, 2009 05:28 PM

i can't mention Magic Lantern as it is not officially supported no matter how cool it is.

I record sound with my zoom h4n.

The pre production model as far as I know is identical to the production model. I saw no flaws in it.

Christopher Drews September 24th, 2009 05:42 PM

Hey Phil - Where is the rolling shutter comparison you mention in your article. I'd love to see that.
-C

Tramm Hudson September 24th, 2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1393864)

Is that part of an agreement with Canon to have access to the pre-production model? That sort of restriction would seem to require some disclosure on your review.

In my opinion, the requirement of two-system audio due to the always-on AGC and high analog gain settings on the stock 5D and 7D firmwares is a definite limitation that merits mention. Until we have Magic Lantern running on the 7D, the audio problems alone are very practical reasons to stick with the 5D.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning -- the 7D continues to output HD on the HDMI port while recording, while the stock 5D drops to 480p. This may or may not be fixed in a later version of Magic Lantern.

EDIT: The 7D records 48 KHz audio, while the 5D is only 44.1 KHz. This is less of a hassle than 30p versus 29.97 or 24p, but still worth mentioning in your comprehensive comparison.

Chris Barcellos September 24th, 2009 07:39 PM

Well, I can mention it. With the sound level meters, agc disabling, audio monitoring, zebras, and programable focus pull, Magic Lantern has to be considered.

My hope is that Canon hasn't decided to cramp the access Tramm has gained to the 5D on the 7D

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1394296)
Is that part of an agreement with Canon to have access to the pre-production model? That sort of restriction would seem to require some disclosure on your review.

In my opinion, the requirement of two-system audio due to the always-on AGC and high analog gain settings on the stock 5D and 7D firmwares is a definite limitation that merits mention. Until we have Magic Lantern running on the 7D, the audio problems alone are very practical reasons to stick with the 5D.

EDIT: Also worth mentioning -- the 7D continues to output HD on the HDMI port while recording, while the stock 5D drops to 480p. This may or may not be fixed in a later version of Magic Lantern.

EDIT: The 7D records 48 KHz audio, while the 5D is only 44.1 KHz. This is less of a hassle than 30p versus 29.97 or 24p, but still worth mentioning in your comprehensive comparison.

No not at all! I have mentioned Magic Lantern many times but I can't include the cool things Magic Lantern does to the 5dmkII as a plus as it is not out of the box. That is what I am comparing.

You are doing awesome things with Magic Lantern. But I don't think people should be put off buying the 7d because it isn't running on it yet. I advocate recording sound separately but like the article all this is just my opinion!

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1394298)
Well, I can mention it. With the sound level meters, agc disabling, audio monitoring, zebras, and programable focus pull, Magic Lantern has to be considered.

My hope is that Canon hasn't decided to cramp the access Tramm has gained to the 5D on the 7D

Paranoia and conspiracy grip DVInfo. I was not under any restrictions when getting the pre-production 7d other than saying it is a pre production model!

As I said, I am comparing the two cameras out of the box only! Surely that makes sense?

I am super pro Magic Lantern! I just want Canon to employ Tramm and get all these great features included as proper firmware!!

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christopher Drews (Post 1393976)
Hey Phil - Where is the rolling shutter comparison you mention in your article. I'd love to see that.
-C

It's almost 1gb as its native and it's struggling to upload to Vimeo and Exposure Room

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 03:22 AM

But I will mention it as an addition to show support to Tramm as have done in past blogs.

Simon Denny September 25th, 2009 03:52 AM

Where does 1/2" and 2/3" chips fit in size wise with the 5D and 7D?
Is there any info on this?

Cheers

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 04:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Ash (Post 1395708)
Where does 1/2" and 2/3" chips fit in size wise with the 5D and 7D?
Is there any info on this?

Cheers

Here we go!

Simon Denny September 25th, 2009 04:52 AM

Thanks Phil,

Regards

Tramm Hudson September 25th, 2009 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1395528)
Paranoia and conspiracy grip DVInfo.

Do you realize that the Illuminati are preventing the 5D from being upgraded to 24p? I heard that black helicopters retrieved the camera with 24p firmware that was being demoed on the set of Snakes on a Train, and that the DP using one on another set died mysteriously due to too much jello. I can't tell you who my source is for this, but he is high placed in the CIA. Perhaps I've already said too much.
Quote:

As I said, I am comparing the two cameras out of the box only! Surely that makes sense?
If folks were planning on filming handheld with just the kit lens and onboard audio, sure. But most filming projects are not with such simple setups -- mics and a preamp, rails with a mattebox, filters and follow focus, and firmware are all additions to the camera that film makers will add on.

Your review is a great comparison of the two bodies as they come from Canon. Perhaps a separate "so you want to make a movie with a DSLR" comparison might be a worthwhile article.

Shawn D. Caple September 25th, 2009 07:01 AM

Cinema Lenses?

How did you get that Cinema Lense (pl mount?) onto the 7D? What kind of converter mount did you use?

Ethan Cooper September 25th, 2009 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tramm Hudson (Post 1396213)
Do you realize that the Illuminati are preventing the 5D from being upgraded to 24p? I heard that black helicopters retrieved the camera with 24p firmware that was being demoed on the set of Snakes on a Train, and that the DP using one on another set died mysteriously due to too much jello. I can't tell you who my source is for this, but he is high placed in the CIA. Perhaps I've already said too much.

If folks were planning on filming handheld with just the kit lens and onboard audio, sure. But most filming projects are not with such simple setups -- mics and a preamp, rails with a mattebox, filters and follow focus, and firmware are all additions to the camera that film makers will add on.

Your review is a great comparison of the two bodies as they come from Canon. Perhaps a separate "so you want to make a movie with a DSLR" comparison might be a worthwhile article.

Hey, the guy is doing all of this reviewing/blogging for free as far as I know so give him a little slack. Don't run people like Phil off by badgering them.

Kalunga Lima September 25th, 2009 07:45 AM

Thanks Phil

I still think that Canon is playing with us with this odd combination of features between the two models. Using the 7D as a base mark, we should simply be able to get the same features + full frame at the 5D's higher price point.

I just wish they'd get it straight so that we can move on and buy their gear without that nagging feeling that we should be waiting for what's around the corner.

my 2 cents worth

Ethan Cooper September 25th, 2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima (Post 1396454)
I just wish they'd get it straight so that we can move on and buy their gear without that nagging feeling that we should be waiting for what's around the corner.

These are consumer electronics, and by that very nature they are designed to keep the consumer waiting and wanting what's just around the corner. It's not a conspiracy, it's business.

Phil Bloom September 25th, 2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1396330)
Hey, the guy is doing all of this reviewing/blogging for free as far as I know so give him a little slack. Don't run people like Phil off by badgering them.

He's joking Ethan! But thanks anyway. I am doing it for free. Mug that I am!

If you want to know how to shoot with the 5d or 7d then i might...ahem... have a couple of DVDs that may interest you!

Tramm. Have Canon even been in touch with you?!

Bill Pryor September 25th, 2009 12:27 PM

I'll probably be in the market for one of those DVDs in the near future.

Ethan Cooper September 25th, 2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1397270)
He's joking Ethan! But thanks anyway. I am doing it for free. Mug that I am!

If you want to know how to shoot with the 5d or 7d then i might...ahem... have a couple of DVDs that may interest you!

Tramm. Have Canon even been in touch with you?!

Joking? What is this joking of which you speak?

Time to go take a break, clearly I've been working too hard lately and have forgotten what humor is.

Mathieu Kassovitz September 25th, 2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Bloom (Post 1393972)
i can't mention Magic Lantern as it is not officially supported no matter how cool it is.

That said, is yours an official review then? ;)

5D movie mode without ML firmware is not the same tool.

Phil Bloom September 26th, 2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz (Post 1397589)
That said, is yours an official review then? ;)

5D movie mode without ML firmware is not the same tool.

Hi Mathieu,

Are you THE Mathieu Kassovitz?

My article should be retitled "The Official Philip Bloom side by side out of the box review of the 7d vd 5dmkII, un-pimped up, which cameras works best for video in my humble opinion which may or may not matter to you anyway" :)

Magic Lantern firmware is great!! But as I have said it's not "out of the box" and I am not using it on paid jobs myself. I am comparing my experiences of the two, not the experience of others.

This is, like everything I and others write, purely a personal opinion. Am sure hundreds would disagree! Millions even!!

Personally I love them both, hence I will be keeping my 5ds and am eagerly awaiting my production 7d.

Alvise Tedesco September 27th, 2009 11:31 AM

Hi Philip. How do you feel focusing on your 35 L 1.4?
Thinking about 28/35 as a "normal", I realized focus ring throw will be much shorter than the one on my 50 (what I'm used to have now as "normal").
I would buy maybe an economic 28 1.8, but I'm worried of the plastic thin ring (and that, such short distance scale from 2 mt to infinite..)

Thanks (also for continuing the Monty Python tradition. Laughing a lot with your videos from you're visit to Nab to the recent british invasion)

Phil Bloom September 27th, 2009 03:32 PM

am fine with focusing with it! great lens!

Phil Bloom October 1st, 2009 02:37 PM

I have a new opinion. Check the link at the top for an updated blog!!

Chris Barcellos October 1st, 2009 03:02 PM

Phil:

As I posted on your blog, Cineforms NeoScence conforms footage and sound to 29.97. I assume that holds true for their ProRes conversion.

Phil Bloom October 1st, 2009 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1423486)
Phil:

As I posted on your blog, Cineforms NeoScence conforms footage and sound to 29.97. I assume that holds true for their ProRes conversion.

if i could go back in time I would convert everything to this, but now everything is XDCAM EX and compressor is just too damn slow to convert everything.

Also half my footage is in XDCAM EX and Cineform says NO!

Jon Fairhurst October 1st, 2009 03:39 PM

Conforming the footage also slows the audio. It's the audio sync that will make you nuts when cutting the 5D2 with a 29.97 camera.

It would be nice if Canon at least gave us a 29.97 firmware update. That would be compatible with the standard that has been in place since December 1953. :)

And it would be compatible with at least one frame rate from the 7D.

Phil Bloom October 1st, 2009 03:43 PM

Exactly Jon. That's why I am tearing my hair out!!

Chris Barcellos October 1st, 2009 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1423613)
Conforming the footage also slows the audio. It's the audio sync that will make you nuts when cutting the 5D2 with a 29.97 camera.

It would be nice if Canon at least gave us a 29.97 firmware update. That would be compatible with the standard that has been in place since December 1953. :)

And it would be compatible with at least one frame rate from the 7D.

Well if they gave us that, that would be admitting they could give us 23.97...

Alvise Tedesco October 1st, 2009 05:32 PM

Hi Philip and all. Out of Cineform/framerates argument..

7D sensor involves easier focus pulling compared to 5D sensor (provided equal stop).
But then, a 25 or 35 still lens involves shorter focus gear rotation (and lower metering precision) than a fov comparable 50.
I'm trying to choose a fast "normal" that is well suited to pull focus more accurately with.
How is your experience on your 35 L 1.4 on that?

Sigma 30 1.4 I've heard has a stiff focus ring
Canon 28 1.8 I don't know if the focus ring isn't dampened enough
Nikon 35 2 I have one, unfortunately not a good copy in respect to focus ring

On a side note, what do you think about replacing my follow focus gear ring with a smaller one to counteract shorter rotation of the lens focus?

Cheers

Jon Fairhurst October 1st, 2009 09:49 PM

The 28/1.8 is a USM lens with similar quality to the 85/1.8. It has a good feel, but like other Canon lenses, the throw isn't very long. It's better than the 50/1.4 and much, much better than the 50/1.8 or 35/2.0 from Canon.

Unless you're really close to something, a 28mm lens is pretty forgiving when it comes to focus.

Alvise Tedesco October 2nd, 2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1424733)
Unless you're really close to something, a 28mm lens is pretty forgiving when it comes to focus.

True. That's where my concern come from. It is a 28 but will act as a 45 on the 7D, and I surely want to shoot @ f2 with a 45 (I mean, I'm used to get nice out of focus areas with my nikkor 50 1.4 also @ f4 with subject in the 10-15 feet range distance. Not easy to follow focus there, but doable).
I'm amazed this isn't covered here or on the other boards.
Am I wrong?
btw thanks for all your audio testing. It actually improved my beer craving as well

Nick Hiltgen October 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

Hi I keep trying to find this out, when you plug in HDMI (or composite or whatever) do you lose the LCD like in the 5dm2?

Can anyone confirm this, or tell me what the deal is?

Phil Bloom October 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Hiltgen (Post 1426915)
Hi I keep trying to find this out, when you plug in HDMI (or composite or whatever) do you lose the LCD like in the 5dm2?

Can anyone confirm this, or tell me what the deal is?

yep! but it is better...
Philip Bloom Blog Archive Using a monitor on the 7d is much better than with the 5dmkII

Nick Hiltgen October 2nd, 2009 01:29 PM

That's still kind of a bummer then. OH well we'll see if something comes out.