Shutter "jitter' distracting in videos at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 27th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter "jitter' distracting in videos

I am researching the advantages and/or disadvantages of switching over from shooting with my EX-1 with a DOF adaptor to a 5D or 7D DSLR. From all of the footage I have seen so far shot on these cameras they all have obvious and distinct shutter "jitter'. I for one prefer the natural motion blur that a dedicated video camera produces, especially when shooting progressive. This may be a stupid question, but is there any way of being able to turn the shutter off in the same way you can with a video camera?
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Major Player

The 7D (and 5D) don't use the shutter when shooting video. Whatever effect you see is a result of the way the video is read off the CMOS chip.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:04 AM   #3
Wizard Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
I for one prefer the natural motion blur that a dedicated video camera produces, especially when shooting progressive. This may be a stupid question, but is there any way of being able to turn the shutter off in the same way you can with a video camera?
Most of DSLR film makers want the 180 degree shutter for a "film-like" look, but if you want your movies to look more like video, just shoot 30fps with a 1/30th shutter for a 360 degree shutter angle.

Last edited by Tramm Hudson; September 28th, 2009 at 02:27 PM.
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Contributor

We usually shoot 24p with a 1/48 shutter. My understanding is the 7D has 1/50, so I guess that would be "normal" for 24p?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun R Walker View Post
I am researching the advantages and/or disadvantages of switching over from shooting with my EX-1 with a DOF adaptor to a 5D or 7D DSLR. From all of the footage I have seen so far shot on these cameras they all have obvious and distinct shutter "jitter'. I for one prefer the natural motion blur that a dedicated video camera produces, especially when shooting progressive. This may be a stupid question, but is there any way of being able to turn the shutter off in the same way you can with a video camera?
Turning the shutter off on your EX1 doesn't disengage the shutter, it just puts it at the default which on the EX1 is a 360 degree shutter (I think?), hence the motion blur.

A lot of 5D/7D material is shot at very high shutter speeds because people are trying to capture shallow depth of field without using any ND filters. Any normal speed motion shot with a high shutter speed will appear jittery.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD