Setup for a travel video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old September 28th, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Setup for a travel video

I need to film some footage at number of attractions (museums, parks, historical landmarks, points of interest) as well as take some pictures for a travel video that highlights a number of cities. I would like to keep the setup as portable as possible.

It seems like a 7D would be a great setup for this. I am extremely new to video and was hoping to get some advice on:

1. A couple of lenses that would be good for the job. Any lens that Canon offers would be in my price range. Any advice on hoods, filters would also be greatly appreciated.

2. Would a Zacuto DSLR Gunstock Shooter kit work well for this type of filming? I will need to do some simple panning and rotating, but a voiceover will be added at a later time, so there are no speed issues.

Thanks for your help!
Dan Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Major Player

The Gunstock would be a good option for handheld shooting, but you'll probably want a solid tripod too, for a lot of filming.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

A few ideas:

Canon 17-55 and a 70-200 2.8 IS version, and a 2x converter -- and maybe Tokina 11-16 or Canon 10-22 for ultrawide shots ... these will cover a very broad range of shooting and be sharp and let in quite a bit if light (a bit less for the 10-22).

A Fader ND adjustable neutral density filter is good for exposure and image look control -- keeping away from small apertures and high/jittery shutter speeds, maintaining shallow depth of field when desirable, etc. (and protective, high-quality, multicoated UV filters the rest of the time, to be cleaned frequently!)

For camera support, avoid the super pricey stuff unless you're making precise feature films? Try starting with this and adding to it if needed? (very adjustable and sturdy enough for the lenses mentioned)
Shoulder Brace - Mini DV Video Camera Shoulder Brace
or maybe this?
The CineCity*::*Shoulder Support*::*Prof. Gliders Shoulder stand Stative / stabilizer pad for dv hdv cam
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD