Side by side (7d and 5d Mark 2) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Side by side (7d and 5d Mark 2)

Not the most technically accurate but I did a rough side by side last night using various lenses and frame rates.
Jon Carr - Blog - Side bySide
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks for posting the footage... I have been seeing folks report that the 7D seems to be
brighter by about one stop.. and you can see it in your footage...

The 5DII footage is very punchy/contrasty...

Here's a blog where the writer has put together some instruction on how to flatten out
the 5DII... it should bring the blacks back inline and more closely match the exposure
of the 7D.

ProLost - ProLost Blog - Flatten Your5D

Here you get to see how the setup looks with the three pictures compared to two different flattening profiles to the standard Canon profile... loads of difference... I'd play around a little to get the sharpening down to where you like it the most but its obvious that the 5DII needs to be flatten'd to fix the crushed blacks... then I'd think the 5DII and 7D footage would match better, at least to the exposure difference you see in your compare footage
posted.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Carr View Post
Not the most technically accurate but I did a rough side by side last night using various lenses and frame rates.
Jon Carr - Blog - Side bySide
Just looks like different contrast settings to me
Don Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks Ray, I will check out the info. I will have to worry about matching these cameras down the road when I get out and shoot actual projects with them.
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
Just looks like different contrast settings to me
Don,
It is a little more than contrast. The 5D mkII picks up a little more detail in the overall image. It is hard to describe but they both have very pleasing images.
Jon Carr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD