split screen focus aid (concept) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Major Player

split screen focus aid (concept)

This is one of those 'thinking out loud' or 'planting an idea seed' posts.

Ever since I dismantled a Nikon FE2AS focus screen a couple weeks ago, which I'd never done before, I've been wondering if it would be possible for Zacuto or Hoodman to create a split screen focus area in their loupe accessories.

My first SLR was a Pentax Super, and focusing was pretty reliable using the split screen and shimmering triangles. The 5d2 has additional focus screens available, whereas the 7D's is fixed.

Is this concept clear? If so, what do you think?

Last edited by Scott Brickert; October 1st, 2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Scott Brickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

The only way a split prism can work is if it's in the focusing screen itself, you can't put it on a loupe.

For video use, you're not using the focusing screen anyhow.

As far as I can see, the 7D's focusing screen is _really_ not removable, unlike the earlier 20/30/40/50D series which was still easily removed (I replace the screen on my 20D). The focusing screen on the 7D is buried quite deep, and I don't see the little metal tab to undo it.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #3
New Boot

Split image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brickert View Post
This is one of those 'thinking out loud' or 'planting an idea seed' posts.

Ever since I dismantled a Nikon FE2AS focus screen a couple weeks ago, which I'd never done before, I've been wondering if it would be possible for Zacuto or Hoodman to create a split screen focus area in their loupe accessories.

My first SLR was a Pentax Super, and focusing was pretty reliable using the split screen and shimmering triangles. The 5d2 has additional focus screens available, whereas the 7D's is fixed.

Is this concept clear? If so, what do you think?
I'm going to look into that Scott, I loved that feature too.
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD