Footage Viewing Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 11th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Footage Viewing Question

So I just loaded in the first stuff I shot last night on my 7d. Haven't transcoded it to anything but just viewed the files in QT. One thing I noticed was that the stuff looked much darker and more saturated then playing back in camera. Then I went into the QT Preferences and unchecked the "Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatibility", and things looked much more like I expected them to.

Now I never really understood what that QT preference did, or why I needed it, but when I got my EX-1, I always found that when I viewed the footage outside of FCP, just in FCP, everything looked muted and low contrast. Then I discovered that tab and when clicked, everything looked like it looked in FCP. So I have had that preference on for the last 2 years. So, what is the proper way to view stuff (7d or EX-1) in Quicktime?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #2
Major Player

I just pulled one of the files straight into FCP, un transcoded, and it looked darker/more saturated, like it did in QT with the preference tab enabled. That makes sense, but is that in fact accurate to what is on the file? If so, I really need to lower contrast and saturation way down. Or is it an issue of doing something in transcoding?
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD