new surround sound mic for 7d at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

new surround sound mic for 7d

Small world. While waiting for pick up at my son's school, I was speaking with one of the parents and turns out he is in the same industry as me. He just emailed me a photo/article of his new product and it looks pretty interesting. Check it out.
Holophone PortaMic 5.1 Surround Microphone Reviewed
Attached Thumbnails
new surround sound mic for 7d-unknown.jpg  
Neil Dankoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Major Player

Interesting. Any idea what the work flow would be, say from CS4 through Blu-ray?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

As a guy working in post production sound, I'd be concerned that this version of the holophone mic produces a 'Pro Logic II' output. That's a 'dying audio format' in my eyes, as it produces a matrixed version of the surround audio channels. It's not a cheap mic and the matrix surround audio, which always produced a rather poor stereo image width, puts it 'out of court' as far as I'm concerned.
I'm still using a 5DMk2 camera and am currently running a seperate audio recorder, an Edirol R-44 4 channel machine. 4 channels are perfectly adequate for recording surround sound...we only really need left/right front and left/right surround. The centre can happily be ignored as this is primarily FX use or become a 'phantom' image and the 'low frequency effects' channel..well it's of no real use in a 'wide frequency range' recording world. It's redundant now and best ignored completely as it was for optical film. The standard persists because Dolby can't now eliminate it from their original track layout.
The R-44 gives me the option of recording a 'double M/S array':
http://www.schoeps.de/dmsplugin.html
to produce the 4 channels out of three mics.
I'm using a set of Sennheiser mics- a 416 'super-cardiod' as the front, MKH30 'figure of eight' as the 'Side' signal and MKH40 'cardiod' as the rear.
Sometimes I keep the most directional mic the 416, or use a radio mic, on the camera. I then have the MKH40 as 'front', the MKH30 as 'side' mic and have a cheap Rode as the cardiod 'rear' mic. They all fit in a Rycote 'stereo mic' windshield basket. You need to shell out for a good windshield with any exterior mics. Even 'softie' type windshields will still get 'buffeting'.
No it's not an 'on camera' rig, but for surround FX use I accept that.
With the Shoeps software as a VST plugin , I can produce superb 4 channel surround from this 3 mic array to decode. I'm lucky in having either Nuendo 4 or in my Fairlight Dream II audio programmes, which I use as part of my work.
I do however also record a pair of the channels from the R-44 back into the 5D2 to use as a 'guide track' using the 'Magic Lantern' firmware, with the analogue gain set to 'Odb'.
With a 7D camera you would currently require a 20db pad as Dennis Chueng has mentioned to put a useable 'audio guide track' back on the camera to help in the post. With no Magic Lantern currently for the 7D, it would still have the nasty AGC in operation.
David T
PostFade
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Any questions or concerns can probably be addressed by them. Here is their web site.
: : H O L O P H O N E : :
Neil Dankoff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD