Remote Control for video recording at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Remote Controls: RC-1 vs RC-5

I can't find any documentation that lists the detailed functions of the two Canon wireless remotes. Which one would be better for video purposes? Are they even worth having for video purposes?
Craig Coston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I bought one of the two, but have never used it. Other than triggering the camera shutter or starting video, they have no other real utility to me. I actually haven't even tried it, but have it for the occasion I might have remote mount of camera somewhere, where I want to trigger it. I bought the RC1 because I thought it would trigger video, as a opposed to RC5 which I thought wouldn't. This was based on third party reporting. You are right, Canon is not very instructive on the uses.
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Major Player

I have an RC-1. It does not fire video recording.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I have the RC-1 as well as yes it does trigger video recording start & stop. It needs to be in Mode 2 to work for video recording.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtesy of Photonotes.org
The main two Canon wireless transmitters compatible with midrange EOS cameras are the RC-1 and RC-5. The RC-1 is a small device about as big as a pack of chewing gum. It has a three position switch - off (lock), two-second delay and immediate release. You then press the release pushbutton to take a picture in either two-second delay mode (which can invoke mirror prefire on certain cameras) or immediately. The RC-5 is flatter and wider and, while intended for Canon’s point and shoot cameras, also works with infrared-compatible EOS cameras. It only has a two-second trigger mode, however, and cannot be set to fire immediately.
I have an RC1 knockoff. In 2 second delay mode, it starts recording video and the regular instant mode takes a still.

Note that you must have the "Drive" mode of the camera in "countdown/remote" for this to work.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Chris is right. I assumed (and you know what that does) that all I had to do was set it to video mode and the remote would work. You still need to set drive mode to delay/remote and then it works. First switch position on the remote fires a still, second position starts and stops video.

In still mode, the two switch settings allow you to fire the shutter immediately, or after a 2 second delay. The latter is useful when firing the camera while in the photo yourself so that you can get your hand out of sight. The RC-5 only fires after 2 seconds. I do not know how the RC-5 functions in video mode.
Les Nagy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

I think the RC-5 functions the same as the RC-1 for video mode...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #8
Major Player

The RC5 only offers the "2 second delay" mode, which is the mode that will trigger video. It does not have the "instant" mode.

So for video purposes, they both work the same.
Old October 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #9
Major Player

So then what's the difference between the two? They have the same price and do roughly the same thing? I don't understand.
Old October 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Major Player

RC1 - 2 modes. "now" and "2 second delay"
RC5 - 1 mode only "2 second delay"
Old October 14th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #11
Major Player

Thank you Kin! That makes perfect sense.
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:33 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Remote Control for video recording

I did a search both here and on the 5D thread and did not find any info. Do any remotes work to trigger video recording? I will be shooting a fair amount of telephoto footage on a tripod so this would be a great option.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:49 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I understand that the wireless remotes compatible with the 5D mkII will trigger video recording, but that the wired remotes will not.
Old October 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Yes on my 5D2 an RC-1 infra red remote, set to a position '2', it will trigger the video record. However it's pretty inconvenient as the camera sensor is at the front of the camera. That's not much use unless the cameraman is also in front of the camera.
David T
David W. Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Regular Crew

TOSLINK trick

Can you use old trick with TOSLINK cable?

Just put one side of optical link cable in front of your remote and other side on the place where is receiving IR point on your DSLR. This way you can mount your RC behind DSLR.
Igor Babic is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD