DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/)
-   -   "Real" 1080 24p resolution (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/466555-real-1080-24p-resolution.html)

Ron German October 27th, 2009 06:22 AM

"Real" 1080 24p resolution

Hi

I sold my JVC HD 100a and I`m now interested in 7D, mainly for narrative work.

Searching for info, I`ve read some users saying that the 1080 24p is "soft", and watching some downloaded 1280X720 7D stuff from Vimeu, I have the same "soft" impression, even aware of the diferent camera set up and losses from compression each user applied in editing process.

So my question for a Canon 7D owner that have seen its recorded original stuff played in a real 1080p display: is the 7D 1080 24p camera original resolution correct (like Sony EX1)?

Thanks
Ron

David Chapman October 27th, 2009 06:56 AM

is the 7D 1080 24p camera original resolution correct (like Sony EX1)?

1. Are you asking if the original is soft or not? A lot of people are turning the detail setting all the way down, but I don't feel that my footage is overly "soft" or not sharp on things in focus.

2. Are you asking if the 1080p is full-frame and not some horizontal stretch? Yes, it's full 1920x1080 like the EX1.

I sold my HD100ua also. Of course, you can't shoot whip pans or go handheld without some rig (so the pivot point isn't so sharp in your hands).

I shot an 2min interview a year ago with my HD100. The client wasn't pleased with their reading so she wanted to shoot again. It was my first shoot on the 7D. She actually wore the same clothes and it was in the same location with the same lights. The difference is night and day. The 7D (with a fast lens) lets you create some beautiful shots.

Ron German October 27th, 2009 07:15 AM

Thank you James
I`m also going to turn the detail setting down, because I`m looking for a more filmic image. And I know 7D is full 1920x1080 like the EX1.
Maybe my question could be if it mesures like 1920x1080 in a resolution chart, or...if in similar set up (sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc), the "impression" of resolution is similar to a wel known 1920X1080 camera.
Best
Ron

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 11:40 AM

In terms of "real resolution", the 7D (and all DSLRs, such as the GH1, 5D, and K-7) aren't very high. They're better than 480p, but not as high as 720p. They look much sharper than that, but in terms of actual solid resolved detail as viewed on a resolution chart, it's not encouraging. They gain a ton of additional "sharpness" through aliasing, which can look good but can also backfire (moire, stairstepping lines, shimmering, etc). As compared to a modern known video camera, none of the DSLRs can deliver an image as sharp as that from an EX1, HPX300, or even a little HMC40.

Ron German October 27th, 2009 02:21 PM

Thank you Barry.
Do you think this lack in DSLR actual solid resolved detail (actual resolution) could damage a 35mm blow up or a theater digital projection, despite the great increase in depth / volume the image gain because the large sensor?
Best
Ron

Benjamin Eckstein October 27th, 2009 02:41 PM

I am not Barry, but my guess to your question is Yes, it would probably look worse as a 35mm theatrical blow up than a more robust HD video camera.

These cams make lovely images though and many of the shortcomings are only noticed by pixel-peepers and not a normal "audience".

Ron German October 27th, 2009 03:21 PM

Thank you Benjamin.
Ron

Steve Mims October 27th, 2009 04:39 PM

Shot a 50/50 7D/EX1 short two weeks ago

I shot a short narrative film two weeks ago that's roughly 50/50 7D and EX1.

I transcoded the H.264 7D files to XDCAM and cut everything in Final Cut.

Chris Hurd loaned me his 7D for the project and in exchange I've promised him an in-depth article about the shoot and the results.

But the short answer, as it relates to this thread, is that the 7D footage looks better than the EX 1 footage even at 800 ASA. I've seen my rough cut projected on a 2K projector on a 16 foot screen and it looks amazing.

I'm prepping to shoot pick-ups next week, but I should have footage, stills and an account of the process available within a few weeks.

Noah Yuan-Vogel October 27th, 2009 04:49 PM

I'm not sure I agree with Barry. I will say that I have an EX1 and just sold my 5dmk2 for a 7d, and the ex1 is the sharpest and least prone to artifacting for sure. It is probably also the best equipped for a sharp blowup for 35mm projection. On the other hand, my old 5dmk2 was sharper than my new 7d, and both are quite sharp when downscaled (with a good scaler) to 720p from their native 1080p. I'd say if you want sharp 1080p, EX1 will just barely give you what you need and a camera that oversamples 1080p is probably the way to go (red, f23,f35,genesis,35mm film, viper, etc). If sharp 720p is what you need, then ex1 or 5dmk2 or 7d downscaled in post from 1080p source to 720p are all quite solid options.

I do not, however have charts to back this up, this is largely based on my experience. Maybe ill put a chart in front of my ex1 and 7d to see for sure.

Mikko Topponen October 27th, 2009 05:35 PM

I don't agree with Barry either. I have the Canon HV20 and it's very good looking and it's sharpness seems to match the 7d pretty well (in cinemode). My older Sony HC1 clearly has less resolution than either.

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron German (Post 1438676)
Thank you Barry.
Do you think this lack in DSLR actual solid resolved detail (actual resolution) could damage a 35mm blow up or a theater digital projection, despite the great increase in depth / volume the image gain because the large sensor?

Depends on what you've shot. If you're dealing with largely natural subjects, there's not much in the way of sharp straight lines and repeating patterns of detail to cause moire, so the aliased information would make the image look very sharp and may not show any clearly obvious drawbacks.

But if you're shooting a row of houses with shingled roofs and chain-link fences, with thin power lines running overhead, then the resulting aliasing and potential moire might look pretty nasty on a blowup.

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel (Post 1438746)
I do not, however have charts to back this up, this is largely based on my experience. Maybe ill put a chart in front of my ex1 and 7d to see for sure.

Please do. And prepare to be shocked when you do. Then you might come back to this thread and think differently. In 720p mode a 7D can't even resolve 400 lines, and in 1080 mode it barely ekes out 500. The rest is all aliasing. And the 5D and GH1 aren't any better, they all make their "sharpness" through aliasing.

I used a few charts, mainly my DSC Labs' MegaTrumpets 12 (which is designed to measure resolution up to 4K) and my Chroma Du Monde Billups VF/X+, which shows res lines out to 1000. When you see how the DSLR cameras perform on a chart, you'll see that there are very significant compromises in the way they gain their sharpness, and you'll also see that the actual measurable resolution (sans aliasing) is not very high at all.

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen (Post 1438766)
I don't agree with Barry either. I have the Canon HV20 and it's very good looking and it's sharpness seems to match the 7d pretty well (in cinemode). My older Sony HC1 clearly has less resolution than either.

A Canon HV20 will have quite a bit higher resolution than a 7D.

There is a difference between resolution and sharpness. Aliasing adds a ton of perceived "sharpness" but it is not resolved detail, it's spurious image contamination that -- in many conditions -- looks "good".

Jonathan E. Shaw October 27th, 2009 08:33 PM

I know that I'm responding to the legendary Barry Green, whose encyclopedic knowledge of video production issues has been very useful to me in the past, but, I do have to say that in the real world experience of these cameras (which I know is highly subjective) the image quality (resolution, color depth, sharpness, etc.) is incomparable. The HV20 looks like consumer HD, nice enough if that's your thing, and the 5D Mark II (sorry, no 7d yet for me) is a world better. Breathtakingly better.

Everyone I've shown footage from the 5d too, even (especially) people with no experience in video production are blown away by the images the 5d captures, even with a cheapo 1.8 50mm on there. I shot something with the HV20 the same week and it was ho hum.

Also, can you explain how resolution (both of which are 1080p) is better one on than the other? You obviously aren't talking about raw lines of resolution, right?

Because in your above post it kind of sounds like Canon is practicing false advertising claiming that the 5d and 7d shoot full 1080p video, if you are saying it resolves only 500 lines.

I mean, when I have stuff from the 5d on my 1080p 46inch lcd it looks incredible. Not so much, particularly color reproduction, with the HV20.

All that to say, if we charted these cameras up, one might have statistically better video resolution, but I'll tell you right now which one "looks" better. And I'd be shocked if 100% of people you showed side by side footage to of each camera didn't agree with me.

I'd be thrilled to show something shot really well on a 5d to a client, not so much on the HV20, even if it were the same project, shot the same way.

Daniel Browning October 27th, 2009 09:27 PM

I'm with Barry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan E. Shaw (Post 1438848)
...I do have to say that in the real world experience of these cameras (which I know is highly subjective) the image quality (resolution, color depth, sharpness, etc.) is incomparable. The HV20 looks like consumer HD, nice enough if that's your thing, and the 5D Mark II (sorry, no 7d yet for me) is a world better. Breathtakingly better.

Have you tried shooting them both at the same DOF and angle of view? I think thin DOF is the one thing people like most about the 5D2. If you take that away, I think the HV20 trounces it soundly:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/1132912-post31.html

The 5D2 has other advantages, though, including higher contrast (with the right lenses), far greater color depth, and more dynamic range.

Quote:

All that to say, if we charted these cameras up, one might have statistically better video resolution, but I'll tell you right now which one "looks" better. And I'd be shocked if 100% of people you showed side by side footage to of each camera didn't agree with me.

Take a nice, natural, unprocessed raw clip from the RED ONE. Apply normal sharpening to one and ridiculously over-the-top sharpening to the other. Guess which one 100% of people will pick "looks" better? The oversharpened one.

Now apply normal saturation to one version of the raw file, but oversaturate the other raw conversion until the grass is bright neon. People will pick the neon grass every time.

Leave a nice, small amount of noise in one version, providing subtle texture throughout. Apply heavy-handed plastic-like noise reduction to the other. 99% of people pick the plastic.

Convert one to use a full 9 stops of dynamic range with detail in the blacks and whites. In the other version clip the whites and crush the blacks for extremely high contrast. People pick the high contrast image every time.

Convert one to show the maximum possible detail at 1920x1080 with no aliasing artifacts. Make another version that has barely 720x480 worth of resolution, but is riddled with aliasing artifacts. Most viewers will pick the junky aliased image.

Render the audio to use a 40 dB of dynamic range and compare it with one that is compressed to within an inch of its life. Listeners pick the "louder" compressed version.

Camera manufacturers know this well, so they tune their cameras for maximum sharpening, saturation, contrast, etc. The results that come out of most cameras is terrible to me, but it sells cameras. The ultra-strong aliasing of the 5D2 is in the same category as the extreme saturation, NR, sharpening, contrast, etc. adjustments applied to digicams to make them appealing to consumers, except in this case there was nothing Canon could do to prevent it.

Wacharapong Chiowanich October 27th, 2009 09:58 PM

Agreed, Daniel. Every time I picked up the 5D Mk2 to shoot video, I had to be paranoid about avoiding shingled roofs, close vertical-lined fences, vehicle front grills, people wearing striped shirts etc. Often the moire and other artifacts showed up on the computer screens even without down-converting or scaling. I sometimes think these large-sensor DSLRs are made to shoot specifically background blurring scenes.

Barry Green October 27th, 2009 10:59 PM

Quote:

in the real world experience of these cameras (which I know is highly subjective) the image quality (resolution, color depth, sharpness, etc.) is incomparable. The HV20 looks like consumer HD, nice enough if that's your thing, and the 5D Mark II (sorry, no 7d yet for me) is a world better. Breathtakingly better.

I know exactly what you mean, and that is what people respond to. But the question was regarding actual resolved resolution. And I stand by my answer.

Quote:

Also, can you explain how resolution (both of which are 1080p) is better one on than the other?
1080p specifies the recording format. It doesn't specify how much detail is in that shot.

Quote:

You obviously aren't talking about raw lines of resolution, right?
That's exactly what I am talking about, yes. What I am not talking about, is the recording format. 1080/24p (and 720/60p, etc) are recording formats. They are not "resolutions". They do not specify how much detail is perceivable, they only reference that it's a video recording format with 1080 lines, etc.

You could dub VHS over to 1080p, and have a 1080p recording with VHS resolution. Saying that something records 1080p doesn't imply that you will actually see 1080 discernible lines of detail!

Quote:

Because in your above post it kind of sounds like Canon is practicing false advertising claiming that the 5d and 7d shoot full 1080p video, if you are saying it resolves only 500 lines.
I'm not saying anything of the sort about false advertising or anything like that!

What I'm saying is that it resolves about 500 lines, maybe 550, which is what it does. Put it on a chart and take a look, you'll see. There is no actual detail beyond about 500, maybe 550 lines, when in 1080 mode. Which, by the way, is about the same as an HVX200, which has been an extremely popular HD camera for nearly four years. The amount of resolved detail is only one aspect of picture quality, and is, in fact, arguably one of the least-important factors.

The HDSLRs let an absolutely massive amount of aliasing through, which goes to help their perception of "sharper" images, but it is not actually resolvable detail. It's false detail, and it's an inaccurate representation of what was actually imaged. In many cases it looks great (because, when shooting a face, who cares whether the hairs being rendered are exactly in the right position or not? Who cares if a freckle isn't rendered in the exact spot it is in reality?) In some cases, it backfires and causes objectionable artifacting. But aliasing is not resolved detail.

Back to your question about "500 lines not being 1080" -- you can't find a camera out there, short of maybe an F950 or HPX3700, that can resolve a full 1080 lines. The HV20, etc., that class can handle about 700 or so. An HMC40 can handle over 800. An EX1 or HPX300 can easily resolve 800, and I don't know how much more because the chart I tested them on only went up to 800! And those cameras do so without aliasing.

Quote:

All that to say, if we charted these cameras up, one might have statistically better video resolution
By a huge margin, yes.

Quote:

but I'll tell you right now which one "looks" better. And I'd be shocked if 100% of people you showed side by side footage to of each camera didn't agree with me.
Agreed. But charts don't lie, and the problems that you'll see on a chart may very well show up in real world footage. Aliasing causes artifacts like moire, jaggy lines, and -- on the Canons, at least -- color pollution. Look at the chart for a 5D or 7D some time, you'll see some things that are simply not typical of a conventional video camera. Those type of things manifest themselves in rainbow-color moire, weird moving patterns in tiled roofs, chain-link fences, certain patterned fabrics, window blinds, fences, brick walls, anything with a repeating pattern of detail is a potential failure point.

Where the DSLRs excel is in natural shooting -- faces, natural landscapes, etc. Nature doesn't have patterns of repeating detail, like vinyl siding on a house or a pattern of windows on a building or perfectly straight lines. But manmade, that's a different story. Look at this photo and see what happens and the unpredictable nature of it -- same camera, same shot, but when you're at just the wrong distance, moire and colored jaggies spring out:
http://dvxuser.com/barry/7D-Elton-Alias.jpg

Quote:

I'd be thrilled to show something shot really well on a 5d to a client, not so much on the HV20, even if it were the same project, shot the same way.
Depending on what you shot, I'd agree. But there are some things that you could be disappointed to have to show to a client, such as... oh, a bridal veil at just the right distance that turns into a massive purple/orange blob... or an architectural shot where the windows are a shimmering purple and the roof has a wavy bizarre pattern on it (a few roof examples in this video, shot on my 7D):
video
SOMETIMES those things will look fine. But when you're at the right combination of focus and magnification, these false patterns emerge and can ruin the shots.

Point is, aliasing is a two-edged sword. It can make images look far sharper than they have any right to, and it can pollute the images with false detail and false patterns that can be very distracting.

But back to the original question of resolved detail -- shoot a newspaper at various distances with the HV20 and with the 5D or 7D or GH1 or whatever. You'll find that you can easily read and discern the text on the HV20 at significantly smaller type sizes than the DSLRs can resolve. That's because the raw resolving power just isn't there, and aliasing can't fix that.

"sharpness" doesn't equal resolution. The HDSLRs don't have all that much actual resolution. They do offer the perception of sharpness (and artifacts can come with that) but as for pure resolution, they just don't have that much.

Daniel Browning October 27th, 2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 1438887)
Where the DSLRs excel is in natural shooting -- faces, natural landscapes, etc. Nature doesn't have patterns of repeating detail, like vinyl siding on a house or a pattern of windows on a building or perfectly straight lines.

Barry knows this already, but for what it's worth, some people are strongly allergic to aliasing even in natural shooting.

For example, the following natural image has strong aliasing:

http://thebrownings.name/photo/2009-...-400-point.png

And here it is the same image with much less aliasing:

http://thebrownings.name/photo/2009-...00-lanczos.png

To me, the aliased image looks fake, disjointed, and "digital", whereas the anti-aliased image looks realistic, natural, and "filmic". For me, natural images with aliasing is like looking at the natural world through a screen door. A lot of other people, though, prefer the look of the aliased image.

Ron Wilber October 27th, 2009 11:41 PM

To me the 7d looks great in low light and night scenes because of all the surrounding illumination it picks up on the subject matter. However, during the daytime the 7d looks nothing special compared to other cameras and its low resovling power starts to show.

Ron German October 28th, 2009 05:54 AM

Good info and comments.
If we could summarize a too large topic, the main point should be that this DSLR technology for narrative work must be used with a lot of care concerning it`s technical limitations.
Real world experiences like Steve Mims should also be considered.
Ron

John C. Plunkett October 28th, 2009 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 1438861)
Take a nice, natural, unprocessed raw clip from the RED ONE. Apply normal sharpening to one and ridiculously over-the-top sharpening to the other. Guess which one 100% of people will pick "looks" better? The oversharpened one.

Now apply normal saturation to one version of the raw file, but oversaturate the other raw conversion until the grass is bright neon. People will pick the neon grass every time.

Leave a nice, small amount of noise in one version, providing subtle texture throughout. Apply heavy-handed plastic-like noise reduction to the other. 99% of people pick the plastic.

Convert one to use a full 9 stops of dynamic range with detail in the blacks and whites. In the other version clip the whites and crush the blacks for extremely high contrast. People pick the high contrast image every time.

Convert one to show the maximum possible detail at 1920x1080 with no aliasing artifacts. Make another version that has barely 720x480 worth of resolution, but is riddled with aliasing artifacts. Most viewers will pick the junky aliased image.

Render the audio to use a 40 dB of dynamic range and compare it with one that is compressed to within an inch of its life. Listeners pick the "louder" compressed version.

If this truly is the case, then what's the argument here?
Who cares if the 7D doesn't have the resolution of the EX1 if there isn't a demand for it?

Brian Drysdale October 28th, 2009 08:22 AM

It would be a case of picking the camera for the job or perhaps even the shot in hand. If the DSLR has the look required and meets the needs of the story (subject to satisfying any commissioning broadcasters technical requirements etc) that could be the camera to go for. Or, perhaps use it as the B camera for the shots that its strengths are a requirement.

Richard Gillespie October 28th, 2009 09:56 AM

Why is everyone getting their knickers in a knot, the 5D and 7D really are fantastic stills cameras :-) If I was honest though I am using a 7D as a B-Camera on a documentary shoot in a couple of weeks not for the look as much as it's small form and low light capabilities.

Daniel Browning October 28th, 2009 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett (Post 1439048)
If this truly is the case, then what's the argument here?
Who cares if the 7D doesn't have the resolution of the EX1 if there isn't a demand for it?

That's only one possible response: if people want junk, give them junk. If they want to eat a bag-full of high fructose corn syrup for dinner, give it to 'em.

Another possibility is that they only *think* they want junk. On a different level, maybe even subconsciously, they actually like and appreciate the quality image more. They might *say* they want to eat a bag full of candy, but if you give them a 5-star dinner by a world-class chef instead, at the end of it they will actually have liked the dinner better than if they had eaten candy.

David Sholle October 28th, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 1438887)
"sharpness" doesn't equal resolution. The HDSLRs don't have all that much actual resolution. They do offer the perception of sharpness (and artifacts can come with that) but as for pure resolution, they just don't have that much.

Isn't the reason for the lack of resolution and the aliasing artifacts with HDSLRs due to how the information is read off of the chip and "binned" and compressed? It isn't due to a specific limitation of the CMOS chip and the optics, which should theoretically be capable of spectacular resolution. Ultimately isn't the cure to this problem new software (and I don't mean a firmware update) for reading and "binning" the pixels off of the CMOS chip and compressing the data stream?

If that is so, then the current generation of HDSLRs can be looked at as an early stage of the evolution of such devices for video use. They can produce spectacular results in some circumstances, but they have serious limitations. It seems that these limitations could be addressed in future products.

Whether the companies will do this is up to debate. Perhaps at the price point of current HDSLRs, manufacturers will saddle the cameras with these limitations, and will come out with higher end (more $$$) camcorders using the current chips and lenses of HDSLRs, but improved software, to differentiate the market.

Peter Moretti October 28th, 2009 11:32 AM

David,

The problem is that at the current technology level, sensors that are the best for stills are not capable of the fast frame rates required by motion.

To get around that, less than the full info. is used from the sensor when a camera like the 5D is in video mode, which allows for faster reads.

But it's not just software, there are real design challenges.

Barry Green October 28th, 2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Sholle (Post 1439142)
Isn't the reason for the lack of resolution and the aliasing artifacts with HDSLRs due to how the information is read off of the chip and "binned" and compressed?

Yes, exactly.

Quote:

It isn't due to a specific limitation of the CMOS chip and the optics, which should theoretically be capable of spectacular resolution.
They are capable of spectacular resolution. I shot a side-by-side of the 7D in movie mode, vs. the 7D shooting the same scene in motor-drive stills mode (6fps) and then resized the stills in PhotoShop to 1920x1080. It was shockingly better.

Quote:

Ultimately isn't the cure to this problem new software (and I don't mean a firmware update) for reading and "binning" the pixels off of the CMOS chip and compressing the data stream?
Yes but no. The whole reason they have to do the pixel binning/line skipping thing is because the sensors cannot be read fast enough to deliver motion at full resolution. These are still-camera chips, with maximum read speeds of maybe 8fps. To get them to 24fps (or even 60fps!) they can't read the whole chip, hence they have to bin pixels and/or skip lines, and it is those processes that cause the aliasing and color mushing to occur.

Plus there's the whole other topic of the anti-alias filter, which you simply cannot do for both modes. Either it's tuned for stills, or for video, but not both. And in the HDSLRs, it's tuned for stills, designed to let a 14-to-18 megapixel image through. And that is what lets all this aliasing through in the video modes.

Quote:

If that is so, then the current generation of HDSLRs can be looked at as an early stage of the evolution of such devices for video use. They can produce spectacular results in some circumstances, but they have serious limitations. It seems that these limitations could be addressed in future products.
Agreed 1,000%.

Quote:

Whether the companies will do this is up to debate. Perhaps at the price point of current HDSLRs, manufacturers will saddle the cameras with these limitations, and will come out with higher end (more $$$) camcorders using the current chips and lenses of HDSLRs, but improved software, to differentiate the market.
Not with the current chips -- that's a hardware limitation. One company is addressing the chip read speed and will introduce an HDSLR that will have no such compromises; they should announce that the day after tomorrow.

But let's be clear on something: the companies aren't "saddling" anything with limitations! They're offering low-cost products. It is no more fair to say that they're "saddling" the current cameras with limitations, than it would be to say that a laptop manufacturer is "saddling" their netbooks with Atom chips. It's all about price point. Pay $6,000 and you can have a Core i7 chip. Pay $299, and you get the Atom. That's how it works. Better chips cost more. And these cameras' chips are still-camera chips, not designed for video at all. In terms of video performance, these cameras have given us the Atom chip right now (limited to 8fps read speed). If/when they produce the 60fps or even 120fps barnstormer we all want, I guarantee you it won't cost $1699, any more than a screaming Mac Pro Octo-Core is going to cost $599. You got $599, you get a Mac Mini, that's how it works. You want an Octo-Core Mac Pro, you find $5999 in your wallet for that. The cameras will be the same way.

Peter Moretti October 28th, 2009 11:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Daniel,

The aliased image is also slightly warmer, which will cause more people to pick it.

I brought both grabs into Avid and CC'd just the non-aliased one to make it warmer.

I think it looks more appealing.

"AliasingNoCC4" is the aliased file, untouched, just imported into and exported from Avid.

"NoAliasingCCd4" is the non-aliased color corrected in Avid to make it warmer.

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2009 12:02 PM

Barry, Daniel : How About Adapters

Very interesting discussion. I attempted to shoot a close up of a computer screen with the 5D for a narrative film, and the moire was horrible. I got the HV20 out, and it avoided the problem for the most part. Kind of proved Barry's and Daniel's points to me.

That being said, I would rather shoot the 5D (especially when it gets 24p added) over the HVX200 which had been the standard bearer for "Rebel" digital film makers. That camera was poor in lower light situations, and grained up pretty quickly, even in open daylight shade, when using a 35mm adapter. And from Barry Greens assessment, it sounds like the 5D resolves as good as HVX200, and I am guessing that he is referring to that camera before you drop an adapter on it.

And let's face it. Barry and Daniel can tell us we are getting better resolution in the HV20 and its progeny (and I agree as I have one) and in other HD Cameras, but when you slap an adapter on those cameras to get to the depth of field characteristics we are looking for ( and that is, afterall the only reason we shoot this camera over regular video cameras), does the Canon come out on top, even resolution wise ? I would be curious about comments and anyone's testing there.

I for one am thankful, as an enthusiast who shoots no budget films, that I have access to full frame sensor cameras to work. I am also inspired by the professionals who are doing some amazing work out there and selling it, using this camera. And, afterall, the goal we all have is a watchable film.

In that respect, I have to challenge the comparison Dan raises between a bag of candy and a five star meal at a pretentious restaurant..... that may be his preference, but I would wager a lot more out there would opt for a pizza or burger....because of the waste of money associated with the overkill at that five star restaurant. The same would apply to choice of cameras, depending on your need.

John C. Plunkett October 28th, 2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 1439127)
That's only one possible response: if people want junk, give them junk. If they want to eat a bag-full of high fructose corn syrup for dinner, give it to 'em.

Another possibility is that they only *think* they want junk. On a different level, maybe even subconsciously, they actually like and appreciate the quality image more. They might *say* they want to eat a bag full of candy, but if you give them a 5-star dinner by a world-class chef instead, at the end of it they will actually have liked the dinner better than if they had eaten candy.

Not meaning to inflame any situation, but I think everyone here has a pretty good idea of who their client base are or at least the scope of their projects overall. I know for my purposes the footage I can achieve with the 7D is going to work just fine for my clients as well as for the viewing public. Having achieved this at a third of the cost of the EX1, my bosses are also pleased.

Daniel von Euw October 28th, 2009 12:44 PM

I think we must go down to earth - including my thelf.

For the price of an Top Photo Cam we became the 5D II / 7D including the zero bucks option to make films with a classical 35mm DoF.

Can we really expect to became for this price a cam that can we compare to a Red One for 20,000 Bucks?

Or can we really expect that this zero extra bucks option will have no limitations compare to an > 5,000 bucks videocam?

But if i read the Statement of Steve Mims - "But the short answer, as it relates to this thread, is that the 7D footage looks better than the EX 1 footage even at 800 ASA. I've seen my rough cut projected on a 2K projector on a 16 foot screen and it looks amazing"

Thats all i need to know and its far more then i have expected one year before.

So one of this cams is good enough to me and if i need more quality i think that in 1 or 2 year canon will present a professional videocam body with large chip for presumable more than 6 - 8 thousand bucks and the opportunity to go on use the same lens.

Sorry for my english - hope its clear what i want tu say.

Daniel

Daniel Browning October 28th, 2009 12:50 PM

Thanks, Peter. I really appreciate the time you took the analyze and post process the images.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1439165)
Daniel,

The aliased image is also slightly warmer, which will cause more people to pick it.

I do agree that people will tend to prefer a warmer image. I took another long, hard look at the images, and I do see a lot of differences, but for me, color isn't one of them. To my eye, the overall color warmth appears to the same (i.e. same average RGB values), even though they different in many other ways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1439165)
I brought both grabs into Avid and CC'd just the non-aliased one to make it warmer.

I think it looks more appealing.

I agree that the CC'd image is more appealing, but I think it makes the color very different between the two.

For what it's worth, both images were generated from the same file:

20 MB original PNG conversion

In turn, the PNG was generated from this raw file:

24 MB Original raw file

To generate the aliased file, I downsampled the original PNG with a point-sampling algorithm in ImageMagick (a command-line image processing program):

convert -filter Point -resize 400x 2009-01-30-3481-rt.png 2009-01-30-3481-rt-400-point.png

To generate the anti-aliased file, I downsampled the same PNG file with the lanczos algorithm in ImageMagick:

convert -resize 400x 2009-01-30-3481.png 2009-01-30-3481-rt-400-lanczos.png

Neither of those operations introduce a color shift aside from what is caused by aliasing itself. In the case of this image, I don't really see an overall color shift due to the aliasing. (To my eye, anyway.) That's part of the reason why I picked this image for a demonstration. On other images, especially ones with fine, repeating detail (e.g. man-made), the aliasing definitely causes a significant color shift.

Peter Moretti October 28th, 2009 01:43 PM

Daniel,

I made the CC'd non-aliased image warmer than the aliased image, just to make people's preference for warmth a little more obvious.

That said, looking at the original images in a vector scope confirms that the aliased image is slightly warmer.

Mikko Topponen October 28th, 2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 1438778)
A Canon HV20 will have quite a bit higher resolution than a 7D.

There is a difference between resolution and sharpness. Aliasing adds a ton of perceived "sharpness" but it is not resolved detail, it's spurious image contamination that -- in many conditions -- looks "good".

Aliasing never looks good and it doesn't add any "perceived sharpness". Atleast not to my eyes. I have them both and I have shot material with them both. Your awfully tempting me to pull out a couple of test images.

Daniel Browning October 28th, 2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1439169)
...the HVX200 which had been the standard bearer for "Rebel" digital film makers.

Maybe the new standard bearer for "Rebel" digital film makers is the "Rebel" digital T1i by Canon. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1439169)
[...] And, afterall, the goal we all have is a watchable film. In that respect, I have to challenge the comparison Dan raises between a bag of candy and a five star meal at a pretentious restaurant..... that may be his preference, but I would wager a lot more out there would opt for a pizza or burger....because of the waste of money associated with the overkill at that five star restaurant. The same would apply to choice of cameras, depending on your need.

The candy metaphor does not apply to the 5D2 as a whole (or any current video DSLR): just individual aspects of image quality in isolation.

Some will shoot the 5D2 with lifelike color, saturation, normal sharpening, and high dynamic range: gourmet meal. Others will configure it for over-the-top neon green grass, extreme sharpening, and ultra contrast: candy. The difference is that the 5D2 gives you a choice when it comes to saturation, sharpening, dynamic range, etc. You can pick anything from candy to pizza, burger, or gourmet if you want.

But when it comes to aliasing and resolution, the DSLR leaves you no choice. It is in full-on candy mode all the time: strong aliasing, low resolution. If you hate candy, then that is a negative. If you like candy, it's a positive. My opinion is that most audiences *think* they like candy (high aliasing, low resolution), but would actually enjoy a gourmet meal more. But in the case of the 5D2 it doesn't matter, since candy is the only option. You can't pick a pizza, burger, or anything else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John C. Plunkett (Post 1439205)
I know for my purposes the footage I can achieve with the 7D is going to work just fine for my clients as well as for the viewing public.

Here's my point with the candy metaphor: some people like aliasing (candy), so the aliasing of a DSLR is just another benefit to all types of shots. Others dislike candy, but they still use a video DSLR in spite of it, because the other benefits outweigh the aliasing. The category you belong to might change depending on what type of shot you're doing (e.g. deep DOF vs thin DOF).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel von Euw (Post 1439201)
I think we must go down to earth

Agreed. We acknowledge that the DSLRs have lower resolution than camcorders that cost an order of magnitude less, but we still use them because they have other benefits. We know that the aliasing artifacts are what make some viewers consider the image "sharp", even though it has very poor resolution, but that's OK too, because sometimes it's an acceptable trade off.

David Sholle October 28th, 2009 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Green (Post 1439163)
Not with the current chips -- that's a hardware limitation. One company is addressing the chip read speed and will introduce an HDSLR that will have no such compromises; they should announce that the day after tomorrow.

But let's be clear on something: the companies aren't "saddling" anything with limitations! They're offering low-cost products. It is no more fair to say that they're "saddling" the current cameras with limitations, than it would be to say that a laptop manufacturer is "saddling" their netbooks with Atom chips. It's all about price point. Pay $6,000 and you can have a Core i7 chip. Pay $299, and you get the Atom. That's how it works. Better chips cost more. And these cameras' chips are still-camera chips, not designed for video at all. In terms of video performance, these cameras have given us the Atom chip right now (limited to 8fps read speed). If/when they produce the 60fps or even 120fps barnstormer we all want, I guarantee you it won't cost $1699, any more than a screaming Mac Pro Octo-Core is going to cost $599. You got $599, you get a Mac Mini, that's how it works. You want an Octo-Core Mac Pro, you find $5999 in your wallet for that. The cameras will be the same way.

Barry, thanks for the well thought out feedback. When I wrote my other post, I really wasn't sure if there was a hardware limitation with the current CMOS chip itself, or just the software. Read out of CMOS chips will need to become a lot faster to cure this problem.

I am an advanced amateur that has been dabbling in video since the Hi8 days, and photography long before that. Most of my video work is for my own and my family's enjoyment, including vacations to places all over the globe. Some of the video I do I use as part of my job as a college professor, and the 7D/5D MkII, even with their limitations, are close to ideal for what I need in that capacity. I teach in a planetarium, and the 7D or 5D MkII, fitted with a Sigma true 180 degree fisheye lens, can take both stills or video that can be projected right onto our 180 degree dome through our digital planetarium projection system - the distortion introduced by the fisheye automatically corrects when projected onto the dome with our projection system fitted with a fisheye lens. Stills can be taken at intervals at very high resolutions, then combined into a movie, which can be projected on the dome. I have seen examples of others doing this for beautiful timelapse sequences of clouds and sunsets, etc. In that use, the excellent still capability of the 5D and 7D is a big plus, and the video footage is certainly usable.

Chris Barcellos October 28th, 2009 10:45 PM

Here is a real world look at 35mm film, F350 and Canon 5d. The D o P is holding a contest. To experts it should be easy to tell difference.

YouTube - Where's the Canon 5D?

Brian Luce October 29th, 2009 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chapman (Post 1438467)
is the 7D 1080 24p camera original resolution correct (like Sony EX1)?

I shot an 2min interview a year ago with my HD100. The client wasn't pleased with their reading so she wanted to shoot again. It was my first shoot on the 7D. She actually wore the same clothes and it was in the same location with the same lights. The difference is night and day. The 7D (with a fast lens) lets you create some beautiful shots.

Hello, Any possibility of some frame comparisons? I have the same two rigs and so far I'm still able to get a better image on the JVC.

Evan Donn October 29th, 2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 1439284)
My opinion is that most audiences *think* they like candy (high aliasing, low resolution), but would actually enjoy a gourmet meal more.

You have to be really careful about this kind of assumption. While it's certainly true that over time a person may train themselves (or be trained) to appreciate the nuances of a 'gourmet meal' over 'candy' that doesn't mean that they don't actually, truly, prefer the candy right now - and may always prefer it because it's not an important enough part of their life to spend the time necessary to understand and appreciate the 'gourmet'.

I think it's important to keep sight of the fact that those of us on these forums who care about this stuff make up only a tiny fraction of the audience for our work - and to the rest of the audience things like dynamic range, resolution, aliasing, DOF and even frame rate are meaningless. Either the overall picture looks good to them or not - and it's never judged in isolation from the story, acting, sound, mise en scene, etc. If you've got a camera that lets you make images that your audience likes then there are more important things to spend your time on than worrying about whether it's producing real resolution or just aliasing - 99% of your audience just doesn't care as long as the whole production works for them.

Scott Lovejoy October 29th, 2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1439502)
Here is a real world look at 35mm film, F350 and Canon 5d. The D o P is holding a contest. To experts it should be easy to tell difference.

YouTube - Where's the Canon 5D?

I think the point may be that it might not be so easy to tell the difference.

His original post:
Where’s the 5D? | Hurlbut Visuals